Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,486 times

Advertisements

I have been diagnosed with PTSD from severe bullying in middle school. just today i started a job as a paraprofessional at a middle school. I actually have to 'go to class' again. It's brought up very strange feelings being there. it feels like i'm back there again. My therapist thinks this job is NOT a good idea. I got another job offer to be a supervisor for a merchandising company that i could take instead. I'm thinking about taking it and just calling it quits on the para job, but i wonder if i should just make myself go through this or not... is it a good idea?

My anxiety was through the roof today, not just because it's a new job but because it triggered my PTSD.
My goal in life is to be a librarian, and i will have to go to grad school to do this and the merchandising job said they'd work around a school schedule.

What should i do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM

25,942 posts, read 22,094,372 times
I'm wondering why you would still be considering staying at the middle school as a para. Do you think it will benefit your mental health to try to tough it out? Do you think this might help you resolve the issues from the past? Only you can know what will be best for you but it sounds like you feel the other job is perfect so that is why I am thinking you might think the para job would be "therapeutic". Talk it out here or with someone.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Uhh..take the superviser job and get on with your life. Sounds like you want to dwell...don't.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
I think you already know the answer. Why put yourself through anything more that will trigger the PTSD? I'd take the other job and concentrate on your future goals.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Well I don't have PTSD, but working in a middle school would certainly make my anxiety go through the roof!

Actually just being around a couple of those kids for a couple of hours will "work my nerves"! I can't imagine a whole classroom full. (Someone once asked me if I wanted to be a school bus driver - I said I don't think so!)

Anyway I should think the best thing for PTSD would be a low stress and relaxing job/environment. And if you want to work with kids, try head start, elementary, or high schools - the kids are MUCH nicer!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Well I don't have PTSD, but working in a middle school would certainly make my anxiety go through the roof!

Actually just being around a couple of those kids for a couple of hours will "work my nerves"! I can't imagine a whole classroom full. (Someone once asked me if I wanted to be a school bus driver - I said I don't think so!)

Anyway I should think the best thing for PTSD would be a low stress and relaxing job/environment. And if you want to work with kids, try head start, elementary, or high schools - the kids are MUCH nicer!
yeah, I think i'm going to quit and do the merchandising supervisor job. I want to be either a school librarian or history teacher. I've been a para for three days now and i HATE it, but watching the teachers, i KNOW i would like that. They actually get to RUN the classroom and TEACH kids interesting things. all i do is stand there and teachers leave me responsible for 'discipline' a lot. I have to work with kids with 'behavioral and emotional issues'. basically I'm doing ALL of the things in the school that are the SUCKY PARTS and NONE of the good parts and this job as VERY MUCH triggered my PTSD. It brings me right back to middle school. I even have to go from class to class like i'm a student again. Although i do now KNOW that i COULD be a teacher but being a para is NOTHING LIKE being a teacher.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
yeah, I think i'm going to quit and do the merchandising supervisor job. I want to be either a school librarian or history teacher. I've been a para for three days now and i HATE it, but watching the teachers, i KNOW i would like that. They actually get to RUN the classroom and TEACH kids interesting things. all i do is stand there and teachers leave me responsible for 'discipline' a lot. I have to work with kids with 'behavioral and emotional issues'. basically I'm doing ALL of the things in the school that are the SUCKY PARTS and NONE of the good parts and this job as VERY MUCH triggered my PTSD. It brings me right back to middle school. I even have to go from class to class like i'm a student again. Although i do now KNOW that i COULD be a teacher but being a para is NOTHING LIKE being a teacher.
Do you get to work with kids who are bullied at all? Maybe that would empower you to know you are helping other kids who are having the same problem you had?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
No, listen to your mental health professional....take the supervisor job. You should not experiment and face your fears while others are not aware, it isn't fair to those children. Do the right thing, take the other position. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health