U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 AM

5,660 posts, read 4,503,526 times

Advertisements

Quite an interesting and large study this one.

BBC News - IQ linked to levels of happiness
Quote:
People with lower intelligence are more likely to be unhappy than their brighter colleagues, according to UK researchers.
Their study of 6,870 people showed low intelligence was often linked with lower income and poor mental health, which contributed to unhappiness.
The researchers are calling for more help and support to be targeted at people with lower IQs.

Last edited by Baldrick; 09-26-2012 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Editing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,722,378 times
Wow, I would say it's the exact opposite concerning certain groups.

My IQ sits in the 130 range and due to this one would ascertain that because of the abilities that would come with little effort for me would make my life easier and thus making me a happier person but that's not true.

Because of my abiltiy to dissect and study data and being one who feels a great need to stay informed concerning political news I am always worrying, always concerned and always pessimistic as a result of what I see and read.

This is not solely confined to myself but effects everyone at my job and in my social circle.

Many times we have discussed the seemingly happy go lucky personality of many of those with very low IQ.
They don't concern themselves with disseminating data, studying trends in markets and dissecting data that points to a obvious decline of this country in many aspects of it's makeup.

These people are happy, enjoy interaction with others and seem oblivious to the news due to a lack of comprehension.

I've always thought it would be far greater an existence being born with a lower IQ so I wouldn't be plagued with the weight of the world.

Last edited by julian17033; 09-26-2012 at 06:34 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 AM

132 posts, read 145,652 times
I would say the exact opposite is true. People of lower intelligence are often more easily amused or won't have such high expectations of their lives or of others. I believe the most unhappy people are those who are intelligent, but who (for whatever reasons) cannot achieve their potential, e.g. due to having bad upbringings, physical defects or underlying mental illnesses that are not connected with intelligence.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 AM

5,525 posts, read 10,223,957 times
Well, that's an interesting study...not sure I agree with it--nor disagree with it either! My observations are that one's either an optimist or a pessimist. A glass half full or a glass half empty person. Sure, if one concentrates on the news (if it bleeds, it leads), one can conclude that the world is going to hell in a hand basket...or, one can focus on the good that happens daily in your little corner of the world.

Me, I would hate to feel the weight of the world on my shoulders--gosh, that would be a heavy load to carry.

Most days I'm pretty content and optimistic. Now my DH, who is a news hound and deeply mired in politics, world affairs and their happenings, is much more pessimistic than I. Our IQ measurements are pretty similar, so we represent both sides of the equation.

One wise person once told me, "You become that which you concentrate on." I concentrate on the positive side of life.

La, la, la...think I'll go for a bike ride and look for butterflies!!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,740,673 times
"Their study of 6,870 people showed low intelligence was often linked with lower income and poor mental health, which contributed to unhappiness."

This is exactly what I would have expected. If you're struggling, life is tough. You become bitter.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,108,001 times
hmmm, all the downs syndrome people I've seen are almost ALWAYS very happy, cheerful people....also, does that mean if you're very smart, yet through circumstances beyond your control you lose everything, your destined to become less intelligent?...

Old 09-27-2012, 02:32 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,108,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Their study of 6,870 people showed low intelligence was often linked with lower income and poor mental health, which contributed to unhappiness."

This is exactly what I would have expected. If you're struggling, life is tough. You become bitter.
Yeh, you might become bitter, but not less intelligent.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM

19,184 posts, read 15,755,331 times
I don't agree with that study at all. My IQ is about 116, my husband's 101 and my son with Down syndrome is less than 50 (difficult to test). My husband struggles the most because of his personality traits. My son with DS has learned to compensate for his shortcomings. I am driven to achieve as is my older son who tested for "gifted" but was not so we are too busy to spend time on the pity pot. I think personality has a lot to do and coping skills which I do not believe have anything to do with IQ. Mostly, you just have to know how to not give a darn about what others think of you and learn to accept yourself!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 PM

26 posts, read 42,182 times
Happy people learn better. Intelligent people are not necessarily happier.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,225,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't agree with that study at all. My IQ is about 116, my husband's 101 and my son with Down syndrome is less than 50 (difficult to test). My husband struggles the most because of his personality traits. My son with DS has learned to compensate for his shortcomings. I am driven to achieve as is my older son who tested for "gifted" but was not so we are too busy to spend time on the pity pot. I think personality has a lot to do and coping skills which I do not believe have anything to do with IQ. Mostly, you just have to know how to not give a darn about what others think of you and learn to accept yourself!
I'm considered 'bright normal, and a hairsbreath below the next step. I'm not sure what value it had, but have long found that most people aren't like me. I see all the little layers of things, and hardly ever come out with something simple and unequivicival. Most people seem to seek simple answers but I feel driven to take apart things. One of my favorite genres is alternate histories since its so complex, and I love wandering through all the complexity.

One reason I'm a loner is a lot of peoples conversation is boring and analysis doesn't seem to be most peoples thing.

But happy? I don't even know how I define 'happy'. I've had some very rotten times in life and wasn't happy then, but in the sort of humdrum one now I wonder sometimes. I might like some more fun, but then when the book comes I've been waiting for on some lesser known history, I'm *having* fun. Or when I'm writing a scene and have to juggle all the stuff about the character and be them to write the scene I'm entirly enthralled.

But give me someone who can talk about what fascinates me, and them and I can happily talk for hours.

When the bp was bad and the depression was worse, and the triggers were everywhere I was not exactly happy. But then I was on meds and my brain was stuck in stupid. It was so *hard* to do what I do. Off them I can, do and are satisfied.

I also question the direct linkage of income and happiness. I've had more money and less money. With more, I remember lots of stress. With too little it was survival. But I entertained myself by writing and taking books out of the library to read. With not a lot but the bills get paid I think I've hit my happy. I think happy is when you get up and are looking forward to whatever you plan to do. If you notice how time goes by, your not having fun.

And I'm not sure someone would 'read' me as 'happy', since I don't go in for displays. And if what you do by choice (like be a loner) is frequently percieved as being 'sad' then nobody is going to see happy.

I've made peace with things. I won't have all I want and its okay. But so long as I can feed my brain what it craves, I'm cool with that. There is never a lack of things to analize, peal back and revel in the complexity.

On the other hand, someone of low intelligence, who doesn't see these things is probably able to be happy since they have other things they see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or