U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 AM

359 posts, read 796,506 times

Advertisements

I am almost certain that I have major depression. For the past 3-4 months things have gotten pretty bad for me. Is there anything my primary doctor can do to help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 AM

753 posts, read 1,313,630 times
Yes. They can prescribe anti-depressant medication. I've fought depression for over 30 years and a combination of therapy and medication is best. But medication is a good start. If you can, I recommend you go to a psychiatrist who specializes in this type of thing. They know all the little details about all the meds. I've found that primary physicians usually treat depression in a very generic way. But if that's all you can do, go to your GP doctor. Medications have saved my life. And given me back quality of life as well.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 AM

359 posts, read 796,506 times
Do I need to go to the primary physician before I can see a psychiatrist?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 AM

305 posts, read 500,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Do I need to go to the primary physician before I can see a psychiatrist?

It depends on your Health Insurance, but start with your Primary Care Doctor.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,773,787 times
you cant get your anti-depressant from your PC doctor and then see a psychologist for therapy, instead of ever seeing a psychiatrst. just a suggestion depending on your insurance that may be cheaper.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,698,681 times
PC doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist... They all will point you in the right direction and refer you to other professionals as needed - depending on what is needed.

For example I have a friend who went to his primary care doctor with mental health issues. That doctor referred him to a psychologist. And while he was seeing the psychologist, the psychologist referred him to a psychiatrist to be prescribed medication. Then he continued to see the psychologist but did not see the psychiatrist - until he needed his medication adjusted.

Then after a period of counseling, he was finished. Then the prescriptions were transferred to his primary care physician who authorized refills from then on. That was for his specific case.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM

947 posts, read 2,166,793 times
It depends on the primary care md. Some are knowledgeable about antidepressants, some are not. Ask your md if he/she is comfortable managing the meds and the weaning off of certain meds when no longer needed. Many people are fearful of the side effects and a good doctor can discuss these and what to expect. Also, when to increase dosages when necessary.
Just a thought, there are also partial hospitalization programs available for more involved cases. These can be implemented after work, going for a few hours a day or several times a week. It entails intensive therapy, med management by a psychiatrist, and can be invaluable for severe depression.
Good luck!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:23 AM

16,056 posts, read 20,681,313 times
Go to your Doctor. Also, check w/ your local mental health facility, I highly recommend getting help, it will make a difference.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,742,686 times
I agree with JanND- talk to a mental healthy facility and people who specialize in depression and mood behaviors ... In these tough times, it's completely understandable to have sad moments ....

On another note, I know of so many people that are on anti-depressants these days, and do not see a therapist or psychiatrist ... It makes me wonder why has it become easier to simply pop a pill vs going to a doctor, sitting down, working through the issues, and getting down to the root - all for a healthy, more serene future? Ugh.

It's scary to me really. You can't stand on a pill forever, and once you go off, the depression may very well come back. Or you can be faced with the suicidal thoughts ...

Old 09-29-2012, 12:02 PM

14,123 posts, read 26,622,229 times
Ah, the purple poster strikes again. Highlighted in purple, ignorance about how anti-depressants work. I only say this because I fear someone who is on their last nerve will read this ignorance and not get medication help and will be another lethal statistic of major depression. Fortunately, the ignorance is usually highlighted in purple, and I strongly advise anyone with a depression concern or question to ignore the purple prose.
I say this from both personal and professional experience of many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post

On another note, I know of so many people that are on anti-depressants these days, and do not see a therapist or psychiatrist ... It makes me wonder why has it become easier to simply pop a pill vs going to a doctor, sitting down, working through the issues, and getting down to the root - all for a healthy, more serene future? Ugh.

It's scary to me really. You can't stand on a pill forever, and once you go off, the depression may very well come back. Or you can be faced with the suicidal thoughts ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or