Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,695 times

Advertisements

Too many people are on prescription medications, period. We always look for the answer in something the pharmaceutical industry invents.
Poor diet and a dysfunctional society are the cause of much of our ills. I'm living proof that an improved diet can melt away many maladies.
I wasted thousands of dollars on anti-depressants in my youth. I wish I could get that money back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I look at medication from a cognitive perspective, yes, you may need meds to jump start you, if you have serious depression. But...more importantly, what is creating this depression? Are you sleeping too much? Not enough? What life issues are interferring with your system to the point that your mind just wants to shut down? Taking a pill is not going to cure that...it can get you to a point of wanting to care about making some changes though. But medication is not going to solve the problems that created the depression.
My depression is completely related to my menstrual cycle. There are times when I feel ok but as I have gotten older the bad days started outnumbering the good - days when I had no motivation, wanted to do nothing but sleep and just generally think about not being alive.

So, I suppose removing my lady parts would be the solution. Unfortunately, as much as I might want to "think" my uterus away.... It doesn't work that way.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Patton360 wrote:
We always look for the answer in something the pharmaceutical industry invents.
You nailed it! First they invent their latest and greatest toxic, addictive drug, THEN they invent a new dis-ease so they can sell that new breakthru drug to a whole new group of addicts.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Mightqueen801 wrote:
This thread is about anti-depressants, which is long-term therapy, so "popping a pill" isn't relevant. Taking ONE anti-depressant isn't going to do anyone any more good than taking one blood pressure pill will correct high BP.

It's nice that you can realign your thoughts when you have "lost your center", whatever that means, but a person who is truly suffering from depression will not likely be able to just will themselves into better health.
You're absolutely right. It would have been more accurrate to say popping pills! I apologize for my oversight.

For me, losing my center is any time I find myself is an emotional state that makes me feel powerless, like I'm a victim of circumstance. It may mean different things to different people. Hope that clarifies it for you.

I've never been able to will myself into a better state of mind. For me, getting into a better state of mind is a baby step by baby step journey of thought, taking me from the pit of despair to a more optimistic outlook on life. I wish it was as easy as simply willing myself. That would nice, and it would save alot of time and effort.
Yes, thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it, and I'm glad I could serve as the target for your need to spew some sarcasm out toward another human being! Always glad to be of service. I've got big shoulders.

I agree with you and the other posters in that medication is way overprescribed in this country (and that the pharmacological industry has way too much influence in our policy-makers, but that's another forum), not just for mental disorders but for much more.

However, I take exception to people who sneeringly dismiss medication for mental illnesses as "happy pills" and "pill-popping" and all the other superior and disparaging remarks people enjoy making when they do not suffer from the same illnesses or symptoms as others. It reminds me of being a near-sighted third-grader and having kids with 20/20 vision calling me "four-eyes" or taking my glasses off my face and then loudly declaring me "blind". It's the same level of maturity at work.

I am no longer on any medication, because, as I mentioned in another thread, I used the medication to help move my therapy along. It still amazes me to recall the difference in my clarity of thinking and how it gave me back the ability to do the things I needed to do, including working at my job and raising my daughter.

Medication is not the answer for everyone, but for millions of people suffering from depression, it has made an enormous difference in the quality of their lives. To mock it or dismiss this fact is not only unnecessary, it is childish and ignorant and only meant to diminish the validity of the experiences of those for whom anti-depressants has made life worth living again.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Mightqueen801 wrote:
Medication is not the answer for everyone, but for millions of people suffering from depression, it has made an enormous difference in the quality of their lives. To mock it or dismiss this fact is not only unnecessary, it is childish and ignorant and only meant to diminish the validity of those for whom anti-depressants has made life worth living.
I respectfully disagree. I have no intent to diminish the validity of those for whom anti-depressants has made life worth living. Having experienced bouts of depression myself, I'm genuinely glad to hear that it is working for you and making your life better. Whatever it takes. Different strokes for different folks!

Mocking the pharmaceutical approah to modern medicine is indeed VERY necessary in my mind. I am personally appalled that the pharmaceutical industry has extended its reach into just about every facet of our lives. To maintain their monopoly on 'approved medicines', in cahoots with the AMA, it labels just about any natural approach as quackery, and lobbys legislators to pass laws banning most natural products. They go to great lengths to squash any competition. If someone consciously chooses to use drugs that's their choice, and I have no problem with that. What I tremendously resent is the ongoing erosion of alternative choices being taken away by the pharmaceutical/AMA attempts to eliminate any competition to their monopoly of so-called health care.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Patton360 wrote:
We always look for the answer in something the pharmaceutical industry invents.
You nailed it! First they invent their latest and greatest toxic, addictive drug, THEN they invent a new dis-ease so they can sell that new breakthru drug to a whole new group of addicts.
Very astute. I'm glad someone else sees it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health