Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,680 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why there are so many people these days who can't handle the normal day to day stress of life without popping a pill. I have 3 friends, that I know of, that are on anti-depressants and they spend most of their day sleeping. What is the sense of these pills? I realize that there are people with severe mental illness, who need to be on them, but for those of you who can't handle the normal every day stresses, getting the kids off to school, paying bills, break ups and all the other normal stuff that you say stresses you out, what is the point of sleeping thur life, stop taking the pills, take control of your life and do something about it. If your sleeping nothing is getting accomplished or straightened out. Someone please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
The pharmaceutical companies working hand in hand with the AMA have classified depression as a medical condition to sell more drugs by getting people addicted to anti-depressants. Depression is no longer looked upon as a flawed thought process, so those who are depressed are no longer working on establishing a happier though process. It is so much easier to take a drug that veils the depression without actually changing ones though process. However, the CAUSE of the depression is still there becasue it hasn't been dealt with. The drugs just hide it and make it easier to live a pretense of happiness. Here's a website that addresses the issue in much greater detail.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
It's easier than trying to handle it all on your own. some people could do just as well without the pills, but are afraid to try. It's the easy way out of what they see as a difficult or unsolveable situation.

However, sometimes anti-depressents come close to miracles in turning someone's life around so that they can look at things more rationally.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Padgett2 wrote:
However, sometimes anti-depressents come close to miracles in turning someone's life around so that they can look at things more rationally.
I'm curious, do you personally KNOW anyone who has had this type of experience? I'm asking because everyone I've ever met who has admitted to being on anti-depressants has a rather fuzzy look about them, kind of like they are hypnotized or slightly drugged. I'm not saying the miracles never happen, but I've never personally encountered anyone who has experienced anti-depressants as a miracle. It's more like, it helps me function a litttle better. But as soon as they stop the drug, the depression is right there in front of them....becasue it has never been addressed. The drug just hides it.

Energy based techniques like EFT and TAT address the depression and bring about a genuine change in the thought process that causes the depression. I'm talking about a genuine HEALING miracle, not just a cover up.

blessings....Franco

Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
IMHO, Padgett is right on.
Over many years, I have known five different people who have been on mild anti-depressants for a period of time.
It got them through a bad spell.
The pills they were taking did not become a crutch.
I can *completely* understand why someone would not want to rely on drugs.
I myself have trouble sleeping, but I just hate that groggy feeling in the morning from OTC sleep aids. So I try different ways to avoid taking stuff, and sometimes I am tired all day.
OTOH
When you are truly despondent, help might come from places you never imagined.
As I understand it, most anti-depressants do not make you feel all fired up and thrilled with life.
It's more like they even things out. They bring you out of the low, but do not necessarily send you way up high.
Out of all these people I have known, only one remains on the meds.
They are not drug-dependent types, the depression they had took them a bit by surprise, but most of them got through it.
I am not judging anyone for using meds or rejecting them.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 AM

cil

Your point is well taken, but it makes no sense to me that someone would settle for evening things out when they could actually HEAL the underlying problem by learning and using EFT or TAT. The danger of the drug is that they are less likely to make the effort to heal themselves of the underlying problem becasue things might appear to be OK.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 AM

69 posts, read 345,241 times
During the time I was on it, a large part of it was going crazy from constant chronic pain, another dealing with new marriage (and while marriage itself is great, we're very close now, year 1 and 2 were very difficult to adjust, apparently for him, so taking it out on me verbally and in stony silence were apparently his attempt at dealing?!) and dealing with guilt from some personal issues.

I was able to get off of it by moving to an area with more warmth and sun, which alleviated the pain and made things feel... brighter, he shaped up, we got away from his nasty friends, and I made restitution with my guilt. I also recognize the large role Flax Seed Oil did for me, as well as a better diet, because even now, I feel that nuttiness and depression when I go too long without putting it in my regular routine... (also making some changes to birth control medications.)

I know in my case, it was vital, but I did get off it as soon as possible. (I think probably on it for about a year? Along with a stint of cortisol shots.) The first day I took it, I could actually leave work at the normal time, and not feel so sapped and exhausted I wasn't sure if I could make it home without stopping off, and the next morning I woke up having slept much better.

I do think sometimes these drugs get overprescribed. I know from personal opinion and experience, I think that when a person is experiencing physical symptoms, it's time to consider a physical treatment. Chronic headache pain, back pain, face pain, tunnel vision, difficulty breathing, sleeping all the time and at the same time, not sleeping, not to mention the unsafe thoughts, no one should ever feel bad for seeking medical care.

I have been off of medication since '05, and not gone back on it, but yes it is something that is possible to develop again, if I allow myself to get too stressed and don't give myself the time and happiness I deserve. (But this will happen to anyone who denies their needs in lew of others needs.) But I haven't had to go back on it and don't plan on it. (Possibly because the root causes WERE addressed, the chronic pain which I'm free of now, the mean "friends", the passive-aggressive new husband, and getting back my support system, family, etc.)

A person shouldn't use medication as a bandaid, without attempting to fix what was really wrong in the first place, if possible. I still think it's strangely amazing that my emotions pretty much "broke" my brain. But I can still remember feeling it happen, like shutting off parts of it, making things go black (literally), because I just didn't want to be there when he was talking to me like that. Tunnelvision that only allowed me to see my feet walking in front of me, but no one else or anything else. Defense mechanism maybe? In that way, I think maybe the mind has more abilities than I thought... I should probably use my brainpower to make myself feel better, not worse! *lol*

Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
It is a sad situation, People pop a pill today like it was a piece of candy. I work with so many and seem to live around so many that take these pills, they depress me. I would not want these drugs in my life. I can understand those that truly must deal with taking them in extreme cases that is, but so many need to wake up and take control of their own lives. Yes sleeping all day is no way to take care of what troubles someone, nor is taking anti-depressants the right course of treatment for everyone either. Much of the time if you change what is depressing you, it takes care of itself.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa07 View Post
I don't understand why there are so many people these days who can't handle the normal day to day stress of life without popping a pill. I have 3 friends, that I know of, that are on anti-depressants and they spend most of their day sleeping. What is the sense of these pills? I realize that there are people with severe mental illness, who need to be on them, but for those of you who can't handle the normal every day stresses, getting the kids off to school, paying bills, break ups and all the other normal stuff that you say stresses you out, what is the point of sleeping thur life, stop taking the pills, take control of your life and do something about it. If your sleeping nothing is getting accomplished or straightened out. Someone please explain.
No explanation: I think enough has been said already about that, has anyone tried Chocolate? I mean in the form of cocoa powder, dark bark etc??? It has a great effect on people that have been prescribed anti-depressants for mild melancholy due to everyday stress triggers. You can make a Hot Cocoa drink every morning. water,cocoa powder,pinch of salt,sugar or substitute, and some should see results within minutes. it has an effect on serotonin and endorphins in the brain. it works when i feel like this. using milk will minimize the effects, if you have to have something to make it more palatable. marshmallow will do the trick. eating chocolate candy is not as effective I've
heard, because of all the other additives. this therapeutic chocolate drink has been used for for centuries by the Incas I believe. it's not a secret you can Google it. if you want to turn anyone on this method of relief , but as I stated earlier, this only seem to work when one has a overall feeling of melancholy from everyday stress, I wouldn't go so far as to say that this will work for those with illness (mental).

Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 PM

72,407 posts, read 18,196,480 times
I think we all become depressed,some cannot handle depression. When I am depressed,I would take a long walk,do my tapping or EFT or do my Transcendental Meditation. They all work.Just don't sit there and moan.Use positive affirmations,place pictures like things you want happen on a board,look at them eveyday. It will change your life.Read or watch the tape "The Secret" several times until you get it.
Just my thoughts and action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health