Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM

395 posts, read 859,438 times

Advertisements

Alright real simple, I've decided in the last few days to come to terms with having aspergers. It's a very mild form of autism(atleast for me). Anyhow I'm just trying to come to terms with it, but having a real hard time seeing where I fit in to in this world. My biggest issue is the fact that many of the support groups are for people suffering from severe forms of it, or atleast are overly fixated on the negative side of things.

For me I just want a new sense of direction in my life. I've felt lost lately with no direction, as the idea of being like everyone else has stopped making sense.

In short I want to be inspired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi'kmaq 32 View Post
Alright real simple, I've decided in the last few days to come to terms with having aspergers. It's a very mild form of autism(at least for me). Anyhow I'm just trying to come to terms with it, but having a real hard time seeing where I fit in to in this world. My biggest issue is the fact that many of the support groups are for people suffering from severe forms of it, or at least are overly fixated on the negative side of things.

For me I just want a new sense of direction in my life. I've felt lost lately with no direction, as the idea of being like everyone else has stopped making sense.

In short I want to be inspired.
Take up painting ~ photography ~ work with your hands and mind... create !!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Take up painting ~ photography ~ work with your hands and mind... create !!
Meh that kind of art don't really interest me. But I maybe should get back into the music scene.

But what I was trying to grasp at is changing my world view, value system, my religion, etc.

I've realized that living in a culture that values social relationships, social standings, and money over everything else, isn't the greatest environment to be in. These kind of values are not healthy for me, as they create unrealistic expectations.

But I guess you got a point that I really should get back to some of the basics in my life, especially when it comes to music.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
What about working with animals? Or doing some volunteer work with people less fortunate than you are? I think giving back takes away the it's all about me mentality and makes for a well rounded person.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:19 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Have you been diagnosed with Aspergers from a good psychologist or psychiatrist, or have just come up with this in your own mind?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Would it inspire you to know that everyone else feels the same way you do?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Have you been diagnosed with Aspergers from a good psychologist or psychiatrist, or have just come up with this in your own mind?
My own mind, and please spare me I ain't a doctor routine. I know more about this stuff than any doctor is gonna be able to detect in the number of sessions I can afford.

Anyhow thanks mod for not getting the question.

The issue isn't the disorder per se. It's that I've gone through life changing events, or atleast that's how it feels.

My entire belief system has been changed. All my goals, dreams and values, have to be reexamined. My religious and philosophical views have change. I'm undergoing a complete identity change.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
My own mind, and please spare me I ain't a doctor routine. I know more about this stuff than any doctor is gonna be able to detect in the number of sessions I can afford.

Anyhow thanks mod for not getting the question.

The issue isn't the disorder per se. It's that I've gone through life changing events, or atleast that's how it feels.

My entire belief system has been changed. All my goals, dreams and values, have to be reexamined. My religious and philosophical views have change. I'm undergoing a complete identity change.

Going by your diagnosis in your OP and this one, almost everyone I know has Aspergers, and most of the posters here, including myself.

How you deal with the general public and your life changing issues is what would determine the path you need to follow.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Going by your diagnosis in your OP and this one, almost everyone I know has Aspergers, and most of the posters here, including myself.

How you deal with the general public and your life changing issues is what would determine the path you need to follow.
There are some specific neurological traits that relate to the disorder. Eye movements are the best one to determine a diagnosis which I have in spades.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:53 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,773 times
I work with Asperger's/HFA kids through adults, and am the mother of a 17 y/o son with Aspergers. It's not easy to diagnose, and took YEARS and much frustration to get my son (who is very high-functioning) on the right education track, and all the support he needs through the school system.

Personally, I would focus on your "aspergers traits" (which, as said before, we all have to some extent), which, to your benefit, you are very aware of. Don't worry about coping with "Aspergers". Cope with what is causing you distress. I know you said you are not stressed about Aspergers, but in the OP, you seemed to be focused on Aspergers - looking for AS-specific support groups.

If you have problems with social skills, we do a lot of training through improv and the applied arts, including music. The students love it, and I've seen some amazing progress with many of these kids and adults. Many are happy to have a place where they "fit in", have a happy social life, while learning how to deal with things that neurotypicals take for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health