Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:10 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times

Advertisements

I would think that most people would say "only you know best"
when it comes to what you want, and how you want it-
so we wouldn't tell you that you "should" paint it a given color (or whichever question),
because it's about what pleases/soothes you, the OP, the person using the room.

Moderator cut: Just to make things clear, this post was initially a reply and only became the op after the post it was replying to was deleted. Cloven did not start discussing this but the mod at that time decided the thread was informative enough to remain even without the original op. Yac.

Last edited by Yac; 07-03-2014 at 03:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Hi unknown - If I am reading you correctly, you know what you want, but are concerned about what others will think (and allow). Being complete strangers, we have no idea of your background (even though your post is pretty complete). There's no shame in desiring absolute privacy.

Quote:
If You were a parent and allowed your kid to read books or draw in a place like I described would you walk outside and visit your kid? If your kid was in there reading a book and left the door opened would you close it so your kid can have quiet or ask your kid if they want the door closed?
You say you are an adult and not a minor. Can you see why some of us are a bit confused? Also, remember most reading on City Data are not familiar with the AS way of thinking. We have no idea if there's a reason why you would require regular supervision. But, if not, total privacy is not unreasonable for any adult, NT or AS.

I would like to recommend a site a friend owns......it's up to 80K members and for all in the spectrum. You probably will find someone there in a similar situation and find some good ideas for your argument to your folks. Wrong Planet - Autism Community

Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
If I had a place like that in my backyard I would def be hanging out in there with my favorite books. It sounds wonderful and not crazy at all but many people think that anyone who doesn't share their love of inane conversation with people they don't really like are. . . crazy. Go for it.

As for the woman, well I don't know what to say. You could discourage company and keep it as your private sanctuary--I would probably do that anyway if it were me and visit company in more public parts of your home. Then if you develop a close friendship with her and really want to take her back there, you can ask her. but not until you're ready. Color choices? What you like best of course.

Oh yeah, and about those male friends: they all think it's a great idea but they can't really say that b/c they think it sounds sissy. But they're jealous b/c what you have there is a "man cave," so tell them it's your man cave. Hang a couple of beer posters and a naked lady or two but only when they're around b/c they'll distract your reading.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Why does anyone outside of your family have to know you have a quiet room in the art shed?

Yes, I would visit my child if he/she hung out in a shack in the backyard. I'd visit a few unpredictable times per day.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM

258 posts, read 421,996 times
I think it sounds pretty awesome. When I was growing up we had a play house, which we used for various things as we got older. In highschool it was dressed up with a carpet and screens on the windows, a bench, and various books and candles. I think using the art shed sounds great. It could even make a great place for you to get schoolwork done undistracted, if you wanted. Who cares what anyone else thinks of it being weird or not? They just don't understand. That's fine, they don't have to.

As far as the other questions you have, if you didn't have autism I would be saying you are over thinking it all, but I can understand your wanting to know what to expect. These are things you can discuss with your parents, to see if they feel comfortable with you staying out there to read, whether they would prefer you leave the door open or closed. How often they will come to check in on you if at all. If people come to the shed while you are there, you decide if they will leave the door open or close it by simply asking "can you plase leave it open?" or "will you close that please?"

Personally I can't fathom a parent saying "no don't read in the art shed, I'd rather you be distracted by everything in the house." But I am not a parent, and I do no know your parents. It's definitely worth asking them!

~Katy

Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
If you want to do it, just do it. Resist the need to overanalyze.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Stay away from the woman who wants to be with you with the door closed. Tell your parents about her. She doesn't sound cool to me.

If you think the shed would be a good place for you to shut the world out, then I don't see why you shouldn't try it. But don't invite or tolerate the visits of the older woman.

I do want to mention that you could turn off the computer in your room, as well as the TV if that applies, and you would not be distracted. But if the idea of the sheltered room is appealing, then I would try it to see if it worked for you.

Again, stay away from that women. Tell her, if she asks again, that the room is just for you. No one else. Tell your parents.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
A quiet place is perfect for anyone with mental health issues. My friend she has Bipolar and her bedroom is almost sound proofed and dark.

Yes a quite, cool place is perfect. Some with MH issues need a break from people, too much stress makes MH issues come to the surface quickly.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times
Default Is an asperger tranquil room a good idea?

For years I have thought of using this backyard small building in my parents backyard to red books, take afternoon naps and even spend the night there just to be alone and away from the outside word. Many poeple think this is odd.

Everytime I read a book in my room I get destracted by the computer,TV radio and things going on outside.

In the living room I get destracted by the TV and cant stop looking out the windows.

There is an art shed studio in my backyard that I think would be a quiet place to read books. The art shed has a very mini porch. I feel that if I took a book inside the art shed and sat on beanbags with some blankets to keep warm that I could concentrate on a book with no destractions. In the art shed there is no TV or computer. There is bright lights and electricity and a plus in heater. Another advnatage is there are no windows to look out so I won't get destracted and look outiside. ts very very quit in the art shed.

One thing I will need to do so I can concentrate on my book and not look outside is close the art shed door. Is this crazy?

The inside of the door is painted sky blue with flowers. The interior walls are painted sky blue with clouds.

The floor is concrete covered with rugs.

If you were a parent would you let your kid/teen read in a place like this on weeked afternoons? Would you as a parent think its a good idea for the door to be closed so they don't get destracted?

What should I do?
Currently the inside of the door is painted skyblue with flowers. The inside of the walls are skyblue with yellow flowers.

Should I repaint the inside of the door and the interior walls if I"m going to out a doornob on? There are no windows.

Is this current disign of colors oldladyish,childish or niether? What color suggestions would people have for the interior of the door and interior of the walls?

What should I do?

Currently the inside of the door is painted skyblue with flowers. The inside of the walls are skyblue with yellow flowers.

There are no windows.

Is this current disign of colors oldladyish,childish or niether? What color suggestions would people have for the interior of the door and interior of the walls?

What should I do?

Decide to take my book inside this place? Should the door to this place be open or closed while I'm reading?
My parents said it's okay to use this place to read.

I'm allowed to close the door if I want.

My question is should the door be closed if I'm reading in there?
I obsesse over things becuase I'm autistic.
My male friends think this idea is childish and rediculous.

My friends and acquantances who are woman think I should go for this idea and not worry about what people think.

If You were a parent and allowed your kid to read books or draw in a place like I described would you walk outside and visit your kid? If your kid was in there reading a book and left the door opened would you close it so your kid can have quiet or ask your kid if they want the door closed?

With the acquantances that are woman are why are they more understanding than my male friends?

This is a little different. Inside the backyard building there is an automated glow in the dark lightshow when you turn the lights out.
there is now a doornob on the door. There is also a little plug in air conditioning unit as well as a fan inside for those hot summer days. The inside smells a little like fish

Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 AM

258 posts, read 421,996 times
Ya know, you have been toying with the idea for months now. My policy is, when you have been thinking about something for that long that means you REALLY want to do it and it will make you happy. Close the door if you want to, leave it open if you want to. Try it both way and see which feels better for you. If you want to paint it, then paint it whatever colors you want. It'll be your space, so make it however YOU like it.

You will never know how it works out until you do it. If you want you parents to check on you, let them know. If you don't let them know that too.

DO IT!! And then get back to us how it turns out

~Katy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health