Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,488,457 times

Advertisements

Any advice on how to help my negative husband get more positive? He has a grat job as an RN, but his co workers, oh my, they are the biggest group of negative and lazy people I have ever seen! One is black and will not help "those white boys", the other is overweight and disappesar for hours at a time and they boss does nothing about it, the other two are ok I guess, somewhat lazy and negative, but that is becasue they see the other two being lazy and disappearing and gettting away with it leaving them with all the owk, so now the whole dept is a mess. My husband has had 5 talks with the big boss, nothing!! he is getting down all the time and really getting negative, any advice-I ahve more to say, but he is on his way home and I do not want him to know I am asking for help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
It seems pretty simple to me, unless there's more to the story.....get a new job! An RN, especially if he has his BSN, is one of the few careers which allows for incredible flexibility.
By the sound of the workplace, I'm guessing he works at a nursing home/LTC facility? I couldn't imagine....the dynamic is usually terrible in those places. He may be happier working at a quality hospital in your area. Not to be snobbish, but usually the higher level of care, the more intelligent and self-motivated people you have as coworkers.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Any advice on how to help my negative husband get more positive? He has a grat job as an RN, but his co workers, oh my, they are the biggest group of negative and lazy people I have ever seen! One is black and will not help "those white boys", the other is overweight and disappesar for hours at a time and they boss does nothing about it, the other two are ok I guess, somewhat lazy and negative, but that is becasue they see the other two being lazy and disappearing and gettting away with it leaving them with all the owk, so now the whole dept is a mess. My husband has had 5 talks with the big boss, nothing!! he is getting down all the time and really getting negative, any advice-I ahve more to say, but he is on his way home and I do not want him to know I am asking for help!!

Yes get a new job. Sometimes blaming other people for all your problems is a red flag though that needs looking at.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 AM

469 posts, read 912,960 times
Get a new job!! Stress will kill you. I had to leave a disfunctional shop a few years ago just for this reason. Worthless, entitled union protected employees made the basic job unmanagable. The exempt managers were corrupt and worked to death certain employees. Yes, the ones that didnt cause any problems.

This branch of the company soon folded after I left. Contract was fixed price, performance based, none of the goals were met. In the end, the Union did nothing for these people, they all lost thier jobs.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
I agree with everyone else that he needs to be looking for a new job. The work ethic these days is pretty pathetic. A lot of lower paid workers just feel like they don't have to do much because they aren't making that much money but they take the job knowing what the duties are and are basically agreeing to do them for the stated wage. Hopefully, you aren't in a very small town without the possibility of another position. I know a lot of times that someone gets attached to the patients/clients and has a hard time leaving so that could be in play also. Does the facility that he works for have a employee assistance program where he could see a counselor about problems at work? A lot of businesses have this and it is at no cost for something like 3 visits. A counselor might have a suggestions on how he can cope if he is trapped in or wants to remain at this facility.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Yes, he has searched for a new job, but lots of nursing jobs are 7am-7pm and we have a child and those hours are impossible for us as I work till 530pm and we have no one to pick up our daughter from school(private, no buses and she is only 9 and cannot stay home alone). He is thinking about working from 7p-7a though! he has put his resume in at 6 places, no one has answered yet. I am not kidding when I say that his co workers are like that- they are RN's too! One RN just leaves and no one knows why, she called in sick for 2 weeks satraight and did not even need a dr note...it is so unbelieveable, I almost cannot believe it...anyway, it is at a local hospital where he is at to the poster that thought it may be a nursing home...sad isn't it? Thanks for posting you all.!!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Quote:
Yes, he has searched for a new job, but lots of nursing jobs are 7am-7pm and we have a child and those hours are impossible for us as I work till 530pm and we have no one to pick up our daughter from school(private, no buses and she is only 9 and cannot stay home alone). He is thinking about working from 7p-7a though! he has put his resume in at 6 places, no one has answered yet. I am not kidding when I say that his co workers are like that- they are RN's too! One RN just leaves and no one knows why, she called in sick for 2 weeks satraight and did not even need a dr note...it is so unbelieveable, I almost cannot believe it...anyway, it is at a local hospital where he is at to the poster that thought it may be a nursing home...sad isn't it? Thanks for posting you all.!!
Wow....I hope I'm never sick at that place! Sounds like a complete nightmare. Actually a unit I worked on at my current hospital was like that until the manager was fired and administration decided to clean house. Funny thing is it was my first health care job so I just assumed that's how things were...thankfully I discovered otherwise.
Hopefully something comes through for him; I work 7P-7A and love it. The pace is more relaxed and there's usually more "camaraderie" among the staff. You just have to learn to prioritize your time where sleep is concerned, but plenty of us do it with success. Not speaking from experience, but I've read the best way to get into a hospital is to contact their nurse recruiter directly, or attend an employment fair if they have those in your area.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Wow....I hope I'm never sick at that place! Sounds like a complete nightmare. Actually a unit I worked on at my current hospital was like that until the manager was fired and administration decided to clean house. Funny thing is it was my first health care job so I just assumed that's how things were...thankfully I discovered otherwise.
Hopefully something comes through for him; I work 7P-7A and love it. The pace is more relaxed and there's usually more "camaraderie" among the staff. You just have to learn to prioritize your time where sleep is concerned, but plenty of us do it with success. Not speaking from experience, but I've read the best way to get into a hospital is to contact their nurse recruiter directly, or attend an employment fair if they have those in your area.
yeah, I hope I never have to go to his hospital and get things done...I know too much about the "mental" issues that one of his co workers has. To me, she is incompetent to be a RN and the sad thing is that they don't even care. My husband was 10 mins late to work one day and they were calling him and asking where he was, funny how his co worker can get away with things1 will see what happens!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,787,842 times
Quote:
This is pretty much par for the course in nursing.
He could find a different job, but more than likely he would encounter the same problems.
His best bet is try to find a way out of floor nursing and into something like case management, etc.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
This is pretty much par for the course in nursing.
He could find a different job, but more than likely he would encounter the same problems.
His best bet is try to find a way out of floor nursing and into something like case management, etc.
he is not a floor RN, he is in Special Procedures, that why this is all so sad, these nurses are incompetent and lazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health