Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM

236 posts, read 555,976 times

Advertisements

I have bad anxiety (almost panic attacks) whenever I have to speak in front of other people. It does not matter if it's two or two hundred. The main thing is my voice gets very shaky. It is very noticable to me, but I'm not sure if others can tell. I feel like they can. Should I be concerned about this? Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future? Taking deep breaths does not help! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Many public speakers have good results taking a dose of propranolol about an hour beforehand. It slows down the heart rate and reduces that adrenaline feeling.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM

236 posts, read 555,976 times
Do I need a prescription for that??

Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
lexapro

Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
Before speaking before a crowd practice your speech by looking into a mirror, and when the speech begins, select one area in the audience and focus your eyes in the area, until you get your roll going, then start becoming more animated. It takes time, but soon you will become a pro at public speaking. it can be fun.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
I've never spoken to anyone who doesn't have this same dlilemma.
I think the secret is to fake it. IF you appear to be confident that shows through.
If it's something you must do often then you'll probably need to forget getting meds for it and just go with the flow............the fake it till you make it route. Good luck!!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM

289 posts, read 567,730 times
I used to <hate> speaking in public. Then I decided on a career path that required teaching large groups of people very technical stuff and I came to <<love>> it, even from the first presentation, when I decided I was too capable to not do a good job. I was never happier than on a stage in front of an auditorium full of people. So number one, believe in yourself. It's important to: ~know your audience ~ know your subject inside and out ~NEVER read to your audience and ~Relax. :-)

Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
I used to <hate> speaking in public. Then I decided on a career path that required teaching large groups of people very technical stuff and I came to <<love>> it, even from the first presentation, when I decided I was too capable to not do a good job. I was never happier than on a stage in front of an auditorium full of people. So number one, believe in yourself. It's important to: ~know your audience ~ know your subject inside and out ~NEVER read to your audience and ~Relax. :-)
Actually, this is how I got over my fear of speaking was by reading and then as I did it more I stopped reading as much and put little notes in my notes to tell a story at that point and it was always one I knew well. Gradually I stopped relying on that and don't need to read to them anymore and it's just as well b/c they will go to sleep on you, lol.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I thought I would pass out during my speech class in college. It was horrible for me. The one thing that seemed to click for me is when my professor said that "people want you to succeed. Keep that in mind when you are up there."

This made sense because when I watch someone giving a speech I dont look for errors or want the person to mess up. I listen because I want to be engaged. So with this mind set it helped me. Out of all the classes I took in college I think speech was probably one of the most important (although I think I had high blood pressure that whole semester). The importance of that experience really hit me when my "loves attention SIL" made each of us stand up in front of a crowded hall at her daughter-n-law's bridal shower to say a little something about ourselves and well wishes for the bride. Total impromptu. I did well and I think because I had that speech class experience. If I had not, I probably would have passed out.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I thought I would pass out during my speech class in college. It was horrible for me. The one thing that seemed to click for me is when my professor said that "people want you to succeed. Keep that in mind when you are up there."

This made sense because when I watch someone giving a speech I dont look for errors or want the person to mess up. I listen because I want to be engaged. So with this mind set it helped me. Out of all the classes I took in college I think speech was probably one of the most important (although I think I had high blood pressure that whole semester). The importance of that experience really hit me when my "loves attention SIL" made each of us stand up in front of a crowded hall at her daughter-n-law's bridal shower to say a little something about ourselves and well wishes for the bride. Total impromptu. I did well and I think because I had that speech class experience. If I had not, I probably would have passed out.

really awesome post!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health