U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,250,882 times

Advertisements

I think of "life coaches" as necessary for people who are not self-starters and need to have someone create an agenda for them . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 AM

10,706 posts, read 5,198,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
OP, I think your one brief experience with a therapist was not the norm. Just like every person is different, well so is every therapist. Therapy can certainly help a person, but you need to find one that you click with, and you need to give it time.
QFT, IMHO.
I've seen a number of counselors and shrinks (psychiatrists) with whom I did not "click" at all-so as soon as I could, I found a different provider (someone who was better for me) with whom I could work. One could say the same for nearly any type of service provider, not just those in the mental health field.

Also, therapy can be a short-term aid or a long-term commitment, depending on the difficulties the client is grappling with.
For some people, a few visits with a professional with whom they "get along" (can "get" where each other is "coming from") can assist in making it through a rough patch in life.
For some people, a commitment of many years with regular visits to therapist is all that stands between the client and "falling through the cracks" into a crisis.
For me, I see a therapist because it is a crucial "safety net" that helps prevent (or at least lessen the impact of) disasters in my life from spiraling out of control. Sure, I would prefer therapy to "fix" my troubles quickly, but my problems aren't the sort to lend themselves to permanent solutions, and therapy continues to help maintain my existence at a bearable level. In my case, chronic care is far more sensible an approach than allowing repeated instances of acute emergencies to accumulate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think of "life coaches" as necessary for people who are not self-starters and need to have someone create an agenda for them . . .
An individual may have difficulty with the skill of initiation and a therapist (or "life coach"-though I've no experience of those in that profession) could be of use in helping to provide structure (created with the input of the client). Of course there are people who advertise themselves as holding the key to improving the lives of gullible & desperate persons. I'm not justifying scams where unrealistic claims are made. My point is merely that what works, self-improvement-wise, for person A may differ from what works for person B.

"Initiation" can be considered under the aegis of executive functions.
Wikipedia excerpts are from following link-
Executive dysfunction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki entry
Executive functioning is a theoretical construct representing a domain of cognitive processes that regulate, control, and manage other cognitive processes. Executive functioning is not a unitary concept; it is a broad description of the set of processes involved in certain areas of cognitive and behavioural control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki entry
Executive dysfunction does occur to a minor degree in all individuals on both short-term and long-term scales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health