Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:01 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,051 times

Advertisements

I definitely operate without much emotion. But neither does my dad, so I speculated, as a child, I just learned that behavior from him. I work in television news, so I'm also desensitized by the worst of humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
I feel good when I do good things... for myself and for others.

If emotions lead me to positive action then they are great. If not, then eff your feelings. Do the next right thing anyway and move on.

Grief is a state of consciousness and an important one. It's like being at the dump. You drive to the dump to throw out your waste, then you drive away and go home.

Don't hang out at the dump with the pigeons and the seagulls.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Wow. I also worked in TV news a long time ago, and have now worked in mental health services for a long time. It takes *a lot* to ruffle me, at least about people, and I am very interested in the unfairness of life across time and distance- how hard people live in other places, especially women.
But it's animal suffering that breaks my heart. Maybe because they have no choice in the matter. (Yes, I know that many people and children are helpless, but for some reason that doesn't make me sick the way animal suffering does- especially if it is caused by people).
I think I have an "inner puppy," not an "inner child." I identify with animals.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:03 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
My emotions are always active. I feel love, compassion, and empathy. There will never come a time when I feel that I "only have so much to give." This is utterly ridiculous.

If you don't feel emotion, then there is likely some kind of emotional abnormality present, maybe the result of your internalizing past emotional trauma. Seek help IMO.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
My emotions are always active. I feel love, compassion, and empathy. There will never come a time when I feel that I "only have so much to give." This is utterly ridiculous.

If you don't feel emotion, then there is likely some kind of emotional abnormality present, maybe the result of your internalizing past emotional trauma. Seek help IMO.
I agree about the past emotional trauma, but not that anyone can say there will never be that time. Emotional and/or other trauma changes you forever, and it also changes the perception. Giving happens after its determined if one is being used.

I'm highly empathetic. I hate crowds since I 'feel' the crowd too much. But I've learned to shut it off, because when there is emotional wreakage, its too much. Its awesome when I let it blossom(in the right place), but I feel vulnerable. I've moved away from my triggers, 'forgiven' a few (for my sake, not theirs) and accepted that the past is over. But there is *always* a watcher looking out, and when something comes near that can push a button, I shut down. This is not the exception, but the rule.

I think if you've been hurt enough, you will never heal back into that fully loving, compassionate person because you see both sides. You can learn to get past the ghosts, but you look at life with a different perspective, since inside you know the other shoe is still waiting above your head, and you watch for things which will send it falling.

And trust is the first casualty, and one of the last if ever to come back to you. It's possible to get past the assumption that everything is a lie by a user, but then it still takes a whole lot to evidence before there's any trust. And I find that while I like to give, it only happens after I'm sure "you" aren't just using me, and its not a game. I have one very good friend who passed, but most aren't going to wait around that long.

If the OP has had traumatic events (severe bullying was mentioned) it is not at all ridiculas they'd feel
there there was only so much to give, and past the traumas resolution will never be unconditional.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
After having things happen to you, and feeling beaten down. Have you noticed whether you have no emotion, good or bad?

What I mean is - one of my mother's good friend's was just diagnosed with cancer and is going for chemo. My mother is devasted and was in tears. Me - I think it's terrible, but I can't show any emotion.

I've noticed over the past years, with all the bad stuff that has happened to me, I seem to have lost compassion. But only for humans - animals I can show emotion for (like seeing/hearing about an bused one). The news tells how a 15 y/o was stabbed to death and it doesn't bother me. Show an animal needing a home and it makes me sad.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm going through that now. I watch horrible crime movies where people are murdered and I don't care and it used to horrify me. I care very much about animals though. I do still try to help people though as I volunteer at a hospital and all.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,046 times
I too am like this. I am a 15 year old boy who has the same problem. I feel like everyone is dead to me (except animals). i dont feel anything emotionally. Sometimes i laugh with my friends and enjoy for awhile. After that i slowly slip through that emotionless path. I had a girlfriend who used tell me i love u and i used to tell her the same thing but without any feelings, like a habit. Then when we broke up, i didnt feel any difference. Just the same old me. I even dont care about myself. As for my parents, i care about them but without any feelings. When i have a exam coming up, i dont even feel the slightest scared feeling. Can anybody please help me? I would love to get out of this shell. Thank you

Old 10-31-2013, 10:26 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
I find it interesting that so many maintain feelings for animals.

What about children?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I find it interesting that so many maintain feelings for animals.

What about children?
Because animals won't f--- you over.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Because animals won't f--- you over.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health