U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 AM

6 posts, read 31,877 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male late 30s I have never had any interest in any type of career. Never wanted to attend college because I hated school. I can count my friends on one hand and still have fingers unused. Life has been a downward spiral as long as I remember. I have been to a councillor for help and the meds made me worse to the point I tried suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 13,648 times
You ever thought about mild Aspergers? You do need to get your basic emotional needs met (see The Human Givens Institute : Official Website), we all do. The 'human givens' website is fantastic at helping you understand and get out of this stuck and presumably quite frightening state

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM

4,762 posts, read 11,683,871 times
If you have a room decorated with just plain black and white items, you can "beef it up" and make it exciting by adding colorful items - yellows, greens, reds, and other colors!

Same with a person. If you have a plain black and white life, you can make it more exciting by...

-Doing new things - Go see museums and attractions in your area. Go to home shows or the county fair. Go ride a roller coaster. Walk around the neighborhood. Drive to another neighborhood and walk around there. Maybe a poor neighborhood and also a filthy rich neighborhood. Expose yourself to different people and different environments.

-Travel and see the world. You may not need to go far to see new and interesting things. If the coast is nearby, go walk along the dock and see fishing boats. Talk to fishermen. Go to where they hang out and talk to them. Walk along the beach. Go to a large city and watch them build a new tall building. Ride the public transportation, see a new and different city. Some places have LOTS of things to see and cheap to go there like Nevada (don't gamble, just see the attractions.)

-Meet new people - join a volunteer group like Habitat for Humanity. Become a volunteer firefighter. Go to craigslist.org, Personals, and poke through the Strictly Platonic area. Find people who like go do things like the above (or whatever you may want to do.)

-Search google.com for the words...
fun things to do

Do things like the above and it will add a bit of "color" to your life!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,575,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgriff View Post
I'm a single male late 30s I have never had any interest in any type of career. Never wanted to attend college because I hated school. I can count my friends on one hand and still have fingers unused. Life has been a downward spiral as long as I remember. I have been to a councillor for help and the meds made me worse to the point I tried suicide.
I could have written this post except I'm a few years older. I feel this same way. I used to really blame myself for being like this and so I was constantly angry at myself and beating myself up inside, then I figured that I was mentally ill and so I went for help but was told that I am "fine". Now I just think that I don't fit into this current society very well. Modern society has become so complex that I have just given up. Some people really thrive on the layers upon layers of complications that we have to deal with now just to do something simple. For other people it is death. I'm in the latter group.
I suppose that you will get many "pollyanna" responses in this thread with people telling you to basically just to snap out of it. Until someone else has been there they have no idea what this feels like.
I think that people like us are just totally misaligned with this current paradigm in society.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM

132 posts, read 145,652 times
I feel the same way. Society is a joke and has become increasingly obnoxious and needlessly complex over time. It used to be that hard work and dedication would allow you to succeed. Now it's a lot more based on luck, looks and who you know.

I wish I could escape and live in isolation in a beautiful remote place for the rest of my life. I do appreciate nature, but people can go to hell.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM

35,286 posts, read 43,459,155 times
The op isnt alone in feeling the N.American lifestyle has become a bore and has now become lacking in substance and diversity to many,as its probably not going to change i'll have to change,Not sure how to do that just yet..
Billy J has the usual remedy but what do you do when all those things are also boring and become just more boring things to do, Where do you go when the suggestion of a trip around the world sounds like just a major inconvenience.
A personal analogy would be=I've just finished sitting through 65yrs of the best movie of your life,it had everything and more,movie is now over but now you find you cant leave the theatre,so you just sit there and look at the closed curtain..
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eagle...alifornia.html

Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 AM

132 posts, read 145,652 times
While some people say life is better now than at any time, if you are alone in America in the 21st century and don't have your circle of friends or family, you're going to have a pretty lonely existence as it's harder now than ever before to make friends & date. People want instant gratification and society has become mega-superficial.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,575,475 times
Jambo- I don't know what to do at the moment either. The usual remedies seem like "pie in the sky" thinking to me and I'm not good with that mode of thought. I like your analogy of staring at the blank screen. That is what I am doing a the moment. In fact, that is probably more exciting than where I am now.

Morkradd- You are right. We are all very insulated from each other and everyone has their guard up. Everything is "what's in it for me"?
I do think that for the right people these are the good times. There are many people who thrive in this environment. Sadly, these people are borderline psychotic but that seems to be what you need to be to get ahead now. That and/or very lucky. I'm neither of these things.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 AM

467 posts, read 584,012 times
Take a Bach flower essence quiz and see what essences might work for you:
The Bach Flower emotional health quiz

After you do the quiz, you can read more about the essences on this site:
Bach Flower - Reference Guide

If you decide to use Bach essence, consider using one essence for several months. You can heal fairly quickly and make good progess. You may find by next spring that you understand the reasons for your resignation.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 15,416 times
Can you remember if there was a trauma in your life, when you noticed you lost interest in all around you. Its not a "snap out of it" answer, it never is! What you feel is what you feel, and its obvious you have not control over, or like, feeling this way. Usually there was a trigger for some sort of trauma that ignited these feelings. You are probably out of balance and once back in balance you can and will definitely feel better! markymark is right, there are great flower remedies for emotional wellness. There are many more than Bach to choose from that can help you, but Bach is good start if you want to do it yoursel. Your best bet is to always use a practitioner, but you will not hurt yourself at all by trying by yourself. You can pick Bach up at your local health food store. Try Mustard, Hornbeam, Rescue, Gorse & Larch & Gentian to begin. If you decide to try this mixture, I will give you directions on its use. You can feel good, I promise!
Warmly. Amy D. Cohen, strongestMinds and soapsforhealth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health