U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM

11,636 posts, read 21,029,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Not judging the op at all but do "lots of people" give their kids Crystal Light? I get pretty bad headaches ( and my stomach doens't like some of them to boot) from artifical sweeetners myself - I don't give any to my daughter for those reasons. I totally quit drinking diet sodas a few years ago and now have limited "soda" . I buy the Izze (juice and sparkling water) - Every now and then I let my daughter have a sip or maybe two inches in her little cup...

I think the Red Dye theory has been out there for a while - some people are very convinced that avoiding it really helped their children.
I don't have any data on the issue but I know many people who want to reduce their kids sugar intake. I know some kids at my son's school (middle/high school) take a bottle of water and packet of Crystal Light to school to have with their lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,667,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I also don't know any kids whose parents give them Crystal Light, but I do know plenty who give their kids "diet" versions of plenty of things believing that they are healthier. My house has always been an artifical sweetener free land because they exacerbate my wifes migraines. My son was diagnosed with migraines as well a year ago and once that happened we became much more aware of the things with artificial sweeteners. Overall I think that "connection" just goes along with the food dyes one. For some people, it's not a problem, for others it can cause a wide range of issues and/or exacerbate underlying problems. Since you know you have this issue, I don't think it would hurt at all to eliminate or drastically limit things like food dyes and artifical sweeteners. Zimbo posted the links to the research and while it is not conclusive, it's not a disproven theory either.

My advice would be to start a food diary for your son to track what he eats and then how his behavior is. Gradually start eliminating things and see how he reacts over a period of several weeks. Since he seems to drink so much Crystal Light, start there and replace it with either 100% fruit juice (you can dillute it with water) or with just plain water. If going the water route, you could slowly scale back on the Crystal Light by adding less and less to the water until it is eliminated.

I have become a big believer in "diaries" when having issues like this with young kids ever since our youngest has had so many issues with development, sleep and behavior. You simply can't remember everything that happens to realize patterns or triggers, so write it down.
My husband likes Diet Coke and uses Splenda and Wqual so we have them in the house but I've given them up since discovering they are a migraine trigger for me.... I don't let my daughter have anything with sweetners (and I'm leaning towards axing HFCS as well) because she can't really even articulate (at 2.5yo) that she has a "headache"

Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,129,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I know some kids at my son's school (middle/high school) take a bottle of water and packet of Crystal Light to school to have with their lunch.
Oh, I do too!
I think teens drinking is it way different than kids having it in their sippy cups.....

Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh, I do too!
I think teens drinking is it way different than kids having it in their sippy cups.....
That isn't the point. The point is that someone said that the OPs post was suspicious because nobody gives kids Crystal Light as if it were something totally outlandish for kids to drink. Crystal Light is something that people do give their kids to keep their sugar intake down. It's not much different from Kool Aid for people who use powdered drink mixes.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,129,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
That isn't the point. The point is that someone said that the OPs post was suspicious because nobody gives kids Crystal Light as if it were something totally outlandish for kids to drink. Crystal Light is something that people do give their kids to keep their sugar intake down. It's not much different from Kool Aid for people who use powdered drink mixes.
But it IS outlandish to me - based on the observations of people in my area - to have sippy cups full of Crystal Light.

Fruit juice, diluted fruit juice and water are the norm among the people I know.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But it IS outlandish to me - based on the observations of people in my area - to have sippy cups full of Crystal Light.

Fruit juice, diluted fruit juice and water are the norm among the people I know.
The OP is talking about a school aged child. Many kids drink powdered drinks like Kool Aid. Crystal Light is just another powdered drink. I don't use these products either but that doesn't make them outlandish.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM

2,779 posts, read 4,805,477 times
Our son has ADHD. The first thing our doctor had us do was cut out all food dyes and artificial flavorings. Even if it doesn't do a thing it can't hurt, there's no need for that stuff in our diet.

Our kids get milk or water to drink, juice on a special occasion.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM

12,562 posts, read 18,712,561 times
Thanks for your answers. I do know many parents giving their kids koolaid or similar which is loaded with sugar. I thought Crystal light would be ok since its sugar free. I know, it might sound stupid to you but I was always told that sugar makes kids hyper. Anyways, I am cutting this out. At home we always make meals from scratch and rarely eat processed food other than crystal light so I will for sure cut that out completely. Thanks

Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,875,689 times
Growing up my brother had ADHD. I remember that he could not have anything that contained the red food dye. I don't know the medical reasons behind it, but I do know that it made him climb the walls.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:18 PM

12,562 posts, read 18,712,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Growing up my brother had ADHD. I remember that he could not have anything that contained the red food dye. I don't know the medical reasons behind it, but I do know that it made him climb the walls.
Thanks for that input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health