U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 AM

12,584 posts, read 18,740,304 times

Advertisements

I am so frustrated now. I asked his teacher today if she has seen any improvements with my son and she said, no he is still very hyper. Today I also received his progress report and he had one A which means substantially exceeds standards. That was in his Computer class. He has several B's which stands for exceeds standards and he has 3 C's which means meets standards. ( The C's were all in the classes she taught)
But comments she left was " too hyper and too distracted" . I don't know what to do at this point. I have an appointment at a child psychiatrist to see if he actually adhd. I really do not want to give him meds since I heard nothing good about it. I was so sure this red-40 thing was the cause but apparently not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 06:21 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,878,566 times
If he does indeed have ADHD I doubt the red dye in itself is the cause of the ADHD, but it can affect his behavior in a negative way. If you think that it is helping to restrict the red dye from his diet then I would continue to do it. I know that for a lot of kids it takes multiple approaches used together to see substantial improvement. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,998,925 times
My son has a ton of food allergies, so I've done a lot of research about food and beverages. I do think the food coloring exacerbates adhd and you should avoid it as much as you can. Just eliminate it from his diet for a week and observe the results. Remember that kids are hyper...my son has "a lot of energy" too
I would avoid Crystal Light because it has artificial sweeteners (aspartame) in it and those aren't good for anyone.
I give my son Capri Sun reduced sugar, it is full of chemicals but he can drink it so I allow it. Sugar really makes my son bonkers - Halloween night was "fun" for me

Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM

9,989 posts, read 17,904,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
No, you are right Pitt Chick. I know. It was a mistake. I gave my son sugar free drinks when he was very young. Never in a million years did I think it would be harmful. I have always been pessimistic to these researches that claims everything that is not 100 % natural will "kill you" or poison you.
Maybe this is because I am very healthy myself. I am hardly ever sick other than a 24 hour flue every other year or so. I have always believed our bodies can handle more than we give it credit too.

Now, saying this I realize know now that my thought process might not have been very bright. Crystal light is nothing more than sugar free cool aid but it contains artificial coloring, red 40. So does some fruit juices too I believe.
I started this thread to get some ideas and maybe some testimonials regarding red dye and a possible link to adhd. I have googled it and found lots of hits but I thought I would ask you guys here on citi data.

Today my son came home from school with home work, lunch box, a clean shirt( yes, his shirt always had markers all over ) and the teacher did not need to talk to me!! Once he came home he sat down without any objection and did his home work, nice and neatly. If he keeps this up I am confident that red food coloring were behind his behavior problems in school and at home.
OP, I don't blame you for not knowing about this as most people don't. Red dye isn't the whole problem and I agree with anon that it doesn't cause ADHD but can certainly exacerbate it. Another thing I'd like to point out though is that aspartame also causes a lot of problems for people so you may want to keep him off of that for awhile too. Google the Feingold diet if you haven't already done that as he is the one who started the whole red dye thing in the first place (I think) and he also talks about removing foods with salicylates and some of those are healthy foods but folks have had success with doing that. Some folks have also had success with removing gluten or casein from the diet so you may want to experiment but keep feeding him whole foods as much as possible--you are right to limit the sugar but I don't think artificial sweetener is beneficial at all. Long story but aspartame really messed me up.

I can recommend some supplements: B vitamins are good for the brain and folks with ADHD can be deficient in those. Fish oil helps with many things and my memory for doing things is so much better on the days when I take it. Mg is an excellent supplement also. Tyrosine actually helps the brain make dopamine, which we tend to be deficient in.

I won't make a specific recommendation here, but there are some wholistic and homeopathic meds on the market for kids with ADHD and they may be worth a try--some come highly recommended and they will cost about $50 a month, more than what an adderall scrip would cost with insurance but I would try it if one of my kids had ADHD. Do a search and see what you come up with.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 6,604 times
Eliminating red dye is great, but it is only the beginning. If you only avoid red dye, he is still getting a lot of the same stuff in the products with the other artificial dyes, the preservatives, artificial flavorings and artificial sweeteners. Do join the Feingold Association so that you have all the correct info. Join the Yahoo group, check out the Facebook page. It's so worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health