Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM

114 posts, read 213,910 times

Advertisements

I hear you. I'm unemployed as well, and its just depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,264,753 times
I have been there. I sat in jammies...drinking coffee for three months. I went on a few half hearted interviews. I was a mess. Then....magically, I realized I would be homeless, and I got my act together. I begged friends for jobs. I got a minimum wage, crap job...cashing checks....a major low point for me. But...it got me out of the house...back working....and less than a year later....a much better job.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,128,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwello View Post
Thanks to everyone for the warm and encouraging responses. I will try my best to.battle through this tough mental time. To answer the first gentlemans question, i am 25 and graduated college in 2010. I am fortunate in that I qualify for unemployment, but this does nothing to help my mental state. I try working out and doing puchups till I pass out, or run sprints with my dog at the park until I find it hard to breathe. I also have volunteered, but didnt get anything out of it. Im in too much of the dumps to relize how important volunteering is. I need a sense of hope. A sign that things will get better for me, but more impirtantly for the next generation. It also saddens me seeing familys move back with their parents due to the economy. I dont have insurance, so a therapist is out of the question.Thanks again everyone, u are the best. We will overcome these tough times and do our best to never let a financial collapse happen at thus magnitude. Now im going to go for a walk at.1 in the morning.

If you were saying that you need self worth more than the money, then the right kind of volunteering could help. Maybe you found the wrong place to volunteer in (since it didn't do anything for you). Volunteering (in YOUR case) is not about helping others. Think of it as doing something that would make you feel valuable. You have to find something that makes you feel valuable when you do it.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 AM

36 posts, read 89,453 times
Thanks for all the responses and help from everyone. I am back working for a major carrier company and feel a bit more productive and have a sense of worth. Financially, I was far better off unemployed, but this jib keeps me busy. Still I struggle day to day to not let the depression consume me. You guys are the best. How is everyone else doing?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,243,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwello View Post
...How is everyone else doing?
Good!

And especially good reading that someone out there (you) are heading in a positive direction!

Thanks for the update!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 AM

18,658 posts, read 33,264,641 times
Glad to hear of the situational improvement, and think it is quite gracious of that poster to ask about others. Thanks, and note that you are a thoughtful person.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,326,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
If you can't afford a therapist (you can self-heal in your own ways..), here are some ideas that might help:

Rigorous running, jogging, eliptical machine, whatever it takes to get your body in motion, do it!

Music- music inspires and connects you in the smallest ways you will ever know.

As for the vegetative-like symptoms? Try a cup of Yerba-Mate- has natural antioxidants and amino acids (high in phenylalanine- a precursor to dopamine).

Exercise for natural endorphins. Diet for natural (proteins) to combat depression.

Diet. Exercise. Music. A bit of self-reflection. Art- anything to get yourself inspired again.. tough economic time, but also a chance for you to get in touch with what really motivates you. Sorta the irony of the situation, but hopefully gets you somewhere.
Caution about Yerba-Mate.

Yerba mate tea: Drink in moderation - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 502 times
Hello everyone,

I have been depressed for a really long time now. I have two children ages 13 and 5, and they are my source of joy. They mean everything to me. I am 36 years old and these 36 years of my life has been filled with sorrow, loneliness, and unsupportive family members that do not understand my depressed situation. I am a military veteran and had a couple of tours in Afghanistan before i finally got out in 2012. I have been on prescribed anti-depressants since then. I get treated through the local Veterans hospital. Although I know I am getting the help I need, I am still depressed and anxious, always. I do not blame the VA. I blame this dark cloud hanging over my head. I try my hardest to help myself but believe me, it gets difficult everyday. I feel as though my depression is being used against me by people who are close to me. My children are the only reason I am keeping myself alive. I am beyond depressed. I can only hope God can comfort me and heal me. I pray everyday and asks God to take this pain away from me because I can't go on with it. I am too weak for this illness. It's been too long of a fight and I have run out of resources that can help me fight through this illness.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 AM

17,932 posts, read 27,351,852 times
You would feel better if you found a job.

I had to lower my standards to find a job, but I obviously worked every single day on applying for jobs.

How many jobs do you apply for daily now? How many is the minimum requirement to qualify for your unemployment?

If you look at it this way, applying for a job is a job.

I worked with people doing remodeling wherever I could, stripping down old floors, installed floors, painted walls and ceilings, etc. Oh, yardwork.

I eventually went and delivered pizzas part time. I discovered that you can make 50.00 in two hours of work. But this is during the pizza delivery sweet-spot, 5 to 7, and everybody fights for that delivery time. Off peak hours you don't make much. But guess what my pizza job turned into?

About a month of doing that, the city called me and offered me a job. Six years in, things are good.

Oh, I had to utilize a trick to get my pizza job. I stuffed my resume into a drawer and when they asked me about education, I said, "Some college". In tough economies, lower the bar.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,520,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanLivingBeThisHard View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been depressed for a really long time now. I have two children ages 13 and 5, and they are my source of joy. They mean everything to me. I am 36 years old and these 36 years of my life has been filled with sorrow, loneliness, and unsupportive family members that do not understand my depressed situation. I am a military veteran and had a couple of tours in Afghanistan before i finally got out in 2012. I have been on prescribed anti-depressants since then. I get treated through the local Veterans hospital. Although I know I am getting the help I need, I am still depressed and anxious, always. I do not blame the VA. I blame this dark cloud hanging over my head. I try my hardest to help myself but believe me, it gets difficult everyday. I feel as though my depression is being used against me by people who are close to me. My children are the only reason I am keeping myself alive. I am beyond depressed. I can only hope God can comfort me and heal me. I pray everyday and asks God to take this pain away from me because I can't go on with it. I am too weak for this illness. It's been too long of a fight and I have run out of resources that can help me fight through this illness.
The medication can help alleviate the symptoms, but to get to the root cause, which is basically a style of conscious thinking and not challenging things manifesting themselves from your subconscious, will need talking therapy and/or CBT therapy. Can you get that? Getting professional help - you deserve that. You owe it to yourself.

If you don't feel strong enough to do it for yourself at the moment, then do it for your children. When you are happier with yourself, you can do it for yourself too. I had a depressed mother; her own mother (my grandmother) killed herself because of her untreated depression back in the day. Not the only family member back then to do that. But my mother, through seeking out treatment, broke the cycle. I (like your 5 yr old can be) was the beneficiary of her doing that. Please get more help for you. Its not inevitable, its not everlasting. Its slow but you can get to a much better place. But get help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health