U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,245,901 times

Advertisements

That reminds me. I brought my son to one therapist. He didn't show up to our first appointment because he got the date wrong. Coincidentally a few appointments later, I had to cancel last minue. He sent me a bill (also a cancellation fee). Although it crossed my mind to fight it, I was so stressed out by what my son was going through at the time, that I just wrote the check (I may have only paid part of it). I really don't remember. But, I do remember thinking he had a lot of nerve and that I should have called him out on it.

It irritates me to no end how some Doctors (not just therapists), think it's perfectly okay to overschedule or cancel at their convenience, but then not reciprocate the courtesy of understanding when a patient has an issue of their own that causes them to cancel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 04:18 PM

321 posts, read 511,821 times
The current therapist I have is very good but I had two before that were no good. The first one would NEVER say anything during the whole session. I was going to her once a week for two months and she never offered any thoughts about my condition which I thought was weird. I felt like I could talk to my bathroom mirror and get the same results so I stopped going.
Then there was the second therapist, he was horrible. He asked me if I was happy at work and I told him that I was happy with what I did for a living but I wasn't happy about the company I worked for. He told me I should look for another job because their health insurance was not paying him well. A month later I did find another job (not b/c of the health insurance thing) and when I told him, he was surprised and said, "Why did you quit, I thought you loved your job!" Uh, hello? Clearly he wasn't listening to anything I was saying during my sessions. Then he said, "So is this new job giving you better health insurance?" I told him I didn't know and then I didn't make another appointment and stopped taking phone calls from his office. Also- I forgot about another one- I stopped seeing him after he asked me out of the blue in two different sessions how much money I made at my job. I was really close to giving up on therapy but luckily I found a great therapist.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,545,261 times
I've had a coupla therapists who sort of shrugged off what I said as if it weren't anything important - that's annoying. Less annoying is the ones who kind of aimlessly shoot the s*** about my problems, without providing any kind of real direction or structured guidance. They're relaxing to be around, but it's not of any lasting benefit.

However all of them have been in public mental health centers, I've never gone to a private shrink ...... it sounds like there is a bit of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health