U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:42 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,848,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesRAChangin View Post
Anon chick - wow you nailed it all for me - my whole experience with this quit and fibromyalgia
Thankyou for your understanding

I dont get the xanax reference?
The valium - 1 mg is a laughable dose - 5mg is an average dose?
Heh woops! I saw the words "detox" and "Valium" on the same line and my brain scrambled it and turned it into "Xanax" and "Valium." It's those durned X's!

If you're still having panic attacks, ask the doctor if he thinks xanax (at a starting dose like I suggested) might be more helpful for you. It's a similar drug to Valium but has subtle differences in the end effect. And, a 1/4 mg is enough to calm the attack, but usually not enough to make you drowsy.

I take them for occasional over-stress, maybe once every 7 weeks. I don't even notice any "drugged" feeling at all. It just takes the edge off. Same thing Valium was created to do originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,396,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Just remember, once you decide to regularly pick up that pack, you can cut your risks for heart disease and emphysema by quitting, but your risk for lung cancer, the #1 cause of cancer deaths in the US and world wide, does not lessen after quitting. Many ex-smokers like my former co-worker still end up getting metaststic cancer years later.
Wrong.

Giving up smoking is highly effective in preventing death from lung cancer and can reduce the risk of dying from the disease by up to 70%.

Quitting Smoking Reduces Risk Of Lung Cancer Mortality By 70 Percent

http://understandingrisk.cancer.gov/a_lung/03.cfm

And really, let's keep the posts positive for this person who is doing a commendable job of quitting!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:38 PM

3,889 posts, read 3,981,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wrong.

Giving up smoking is highly effective in preventing death from lung cancer and can reduce the risk of dying from the disease by up to 70%.

Quitting Smoking Reduces Risk Of Lung Cancer Mortality By 70 Percent

http://understandingrisk.cancer.gov/a_lung/03.cfm

And really, let's keep the posts positive for this person who is doing a commendable job of quitting!

Wrong. Would you like to argue with the New England Journal of Medicine?
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcp042630

Quote:
THE CLINICAL PROBLEM
With a projection of more than 160,000 deaths from lung cancer this year, the disease now accounts for 30 percent of deaths from cancer in the United States.1 Since metastatic spread to regional or distant sites is evident in at least three quarters of patients with lung cancer at the time of diagnosis, the five-year survival rate for lung cancer is only about 15 percent. For stage 1 lung cancer, the five-year survival rate exceeds 60 percent. Among women, there has been a 600 percent increase in the incidence of lung cancer during the past 80 years, and rates of death among women with lung cancer in the United States are the highest of any in the world.2 About 50 percent of adults in the United States have smoked; half of them have quit. After smoking cessation, the risk of coronary artery disease drops promptly, whereas the risk of lung cancer does not.3 The net result is that lung cancer has recently superseded coronary artery disease as the leading cause of death among current and former smokers.4-8

Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM

12,983 posts, read 13,102,897 times
Read that more carefully. It says "After smoking cessation, the risk of coronary artery disease drops promptly, whereas the risk of lung cancer does not." The word promptly does not in any way mean that by quitting you aren't reducing your risk.

This is not a debate thread. It is GOOD to quit smoking. End of story. If you want to argue, find somewhere else to do it, please.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:25 PM

23,945 posts, read 17,871,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesRAChangin View Post
47 days ago i had my last cigarette but i used an e-cig to stop. 10 days ago i overdosed myself on nicotine thru the e-cig. It must have been building for a few days but oh boy i was so sick.

So 10 days ago i threw the ecig and cold turkey-ed of nicotine.
For the first 4 days, i could not get off the bed, i could not stop crying and everything i once could have coped with, i can't cope with anymore.

2 Days ago i was ranting at my hubby because he really peeved me off, and as i was ranting, my breath just stopped. Off to the hospital and they said i had a panic attack.

But i was not panicking, i was angry. Totally livid with anger.

Off to my local GP and he says i have anxiety bought on my detox from nicotine. He has told me to take 1mg valium 3 times a day (yes i know 1mg is nothing lol) but it makes me totally pass out. Within 10 minutes of 1 mg i am asleep for 3 hours.

I have some health issues - I broke my back and have fibromyalgia and i have cons syndrome.
The pain from the fibro is basically non existent since throwing the smokes. Thats a good thing.
I love to paint and draw and have not touched anything in 47 days - i feel i will never draw again (thats a bad thing)
I want a cigarette - i want this anxiety to stop, it has been full on for 47 days and just getting worse and worse.

So i stop smoking and now i am on valium and anti depressants. I mean seriously, what gives with that. Will this ever stop. How long? Please give me the magic day, the magic word, the magic cuddle because seriously i am telling myself, i am prepared to die from cancer just to stop panic and anxiety

Thankyou to anyone who answers.
It's the worst, isn't it? I remember going through something like this when I made an attempt to quit. The anger was unreal. Things that should have been no big deal were way blown out of proportion, by me, to the point that I was unable to cope with anything.

Sleeping was...just...no.

There is no magic day. Each person is different. What I can say is, you have made it 47 days. Despite all the crap that comes from quitting, (you are seriously detoxing), this WILL get better.

Dang, if quitting was easy, I'd say a good chunk of people who smoke, would no longer smoke.

Magic word? Magic cuddle? Ok, I can try that.

You are doing really, really well. BE STRONG. Oh, that is lame. Ok, take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one second at a time. This is NOT forever. It will get better. It will. It's not easy, but every single day that you make it through without smoking is another day that you have proven you are stronger than some substance.

Maybe you should force yourself to do some art even if you don't feel like it. You might find some interesting things coming through your art.

As for the cuddle part? Ok, I'm proud of you. Proud as hell. Keep at it.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,423 times
Hello! I have quit smoking 8/30/2012 with nicotrol gum 4mg., I don't know what happen but I triggered something. Here how it started bought the gum at Costco followed the instruction to chew and place gum in gum and cheeks, ok! Did it for 3 weeks 9/20/2012 me and my brother drink beers about 10 bottles each, ok next morning I have a hang over stop nicotrol gum in the afternoon around 5 pm it hit me anxiety like I can not breath I can not swallow I was like having a heart attack went to see my GP and that quack gave me an RX. Of ativan 1mg. Thanks to my wife I did not took that meds. I research and my god all the bad side effects that all this Meds can do to you. Basically I am now smoke free for 4 months still get the craving still have anxiety and mood swings but it is gradually going down I am not saying do not believe your Dr. But research first and asked ? And just hang in there BTW I still think I am going crazy but those are just thoughts not reality you are normal just thinking that way it is that anxiety Playing its part.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,697,929 times
OP, I used to smoke heavy, 5 packs a day. It has been about 27 years since I quit. I am soooo glad I don't smoke anymore. When I come across someone that smokes and they reek of cigarettes I think, "man I used to smell like that". I had quit smoking before I had any of my children and they have been raised in a smokeless home and really not been around anyone that smokes. I know it sound cliche', but you really do need to day it one day at a time. Try to stay busy, if you get that dog you mentioned, take it on long walks, play with it in your yard and home. Don't be counting how many days it has been since you had your last cigarette. As far as your anxiety attack, that happened because of your stress level and the fact that you had lost your temper and was yelling. You did not stop breathing or you would have been dead by the time you got to the hospital. Take the money that you would have spent each week on cigarettes and save it. After a year take yourself on a nice trip to celebrate.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 AM

5,209 posts, read 9,390,921 times
Quitting smoking was -Hands Down - the best thing I ever did for myself. It was hard, very hard. Maybe one of the hardest things I've ever done. But it was so worth it.

I'm in my mid/late 40's now and I feel great. You don't realize how crappy cigs make you feel until you get away from them for a while. But once you do, it's like night and day for your body. Your skin, your hair, your sense of smell and taste, your sleep, your breathing, your stamina, your circulation - all improve. And we won't even get into the money you'll save - lol.

Hang in there - you will get through this!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 AM

18,564 posts, read 22,385,004 times
I'm getting there, slowly but surely!

Well over a year ago, I cut down to smoking halves, which cut my smoking from 2 packs a day to 1 pack.

Now I just started Phase II, I've cut down to smoking thirds, and it's working so far!

I'm still a believer in gradually cutting down as opposed to going cold turkey, the whole idea which scares me to death!

I'm praying that the OP will ride out this storm without too many "injuries".

Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 AM

61,061 posts, read 58,301,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm getting there, slowly but surely!

Well over a year ago, I cut down to smoking halves, which cut my smoking from 2 packs a day to 1 pack.

Now I just started Phase II, I've cut down to smoking thirds, and it's working so far!

I'm still a believer in gradually cutting down as opposed to going cold turkey, the whole idea which scares me to death!

I'm praying that the OP will ride out this storm without too many "injuries".
I did that first. I cut down the number of cigs I smoked per day. I used to smoke about a pack a day, then cut that to about half a pack. Then I cut it down to 7 or 8 a day. I still could not quit totally without terrible withdrawal symptoms and deep, dark, depression, so I went to a guy who did auricular therapy. Boom. Haven't smoked again. Not sure how it worked, but the point is that I do think that cutting down made it easier for me to quit totally when I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health