U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 AM

161 posts, read 306,780 times

Advertisements

Have you tried smoking the e-cigarette with a no nicotine cartridge? It's how I was able to cope with missing the "hand-to-mouth" action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM

61,039 posts, read 58,283,853 times
For those, like me, who feel that cutting down gradually makes it easier to quit than just going cold turkey: There is a man in his eighties who writes a column for the local newspaper. He wrote once about not smoking. His method was that he just kept putting off having his next cigarette for a longer and longer amount of time. He'd had his last cigarette when he was fifty years old, but he would not say he had quit. He just hadn't had his next cigarette yet.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM

18,552 posts, read 22,379,311 times
I'm into the 3rd week now with Phase II, thirds. Last nite at work, only 2, and after work before going to bed, only 2. Before work, 3. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this new experiment will last.

But I know I may never adopt my roommate's smoking habit: once a day after his drinking his beer, or a friend who smokes 3 a day, one after each meal.

But I feel better already! Can't fathom now smoking a whole cigarette!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm into the 3rd week now with Phase II, thirds. Last nite at work, only 2, and after work before going to bed, only 2. Before work, 3. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this new experiment will last.

But I know I may never adopt my roommate's smoking habit: once a day after his drinking his beer, or a friend who smokes 3 a day, one after each meal.

Great. Keep going. It does feel REALLY great to say, "I don't smoke."

Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,391,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

You'll quit if you want to quit.

I cut down like that, too. I was finally down to about a half a cigarette a day. At that point, it was ridiculous not to smoke, so I quit. Smoking one cigarette a day, in my opinion, is only drawing out the agony. Quit and get it over with.

By the way, it's now been over 3 years. I felt really bad a couple of months after quitting. I had about an hour of really panicking. After that, it got better. That year, I had some major stresses that happened but I refused to smoke and stuck to my guns. I've since gone through a divorce, lost a business, etc. but it never occurred to me to start smoking again. After a year I just didn't want to.

I'd say "good luck" but luck has nothing to do with it. It's really up to you.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 566 times
I smoked a pack a day for 16 yrs. I quit smoking with the help of the patch. Today is my 7th day off of the patch. My anger and frustration result in me crying twice today. When will I stop crying. I thought the nicotine leaves the body in 3 days?

Old 10-26-2015, 04:16 PM

14,182 posts, read 15,244,308 times
yes you will be ok. you need to get as much info as you can so you understand what your mind and body will go through so you can cope better. just because the nicotine leaves in short order does not mean that the mental aspects do. go to the forum on about dot come for smoking cessation. they have tons of info about what happens to your body when you detox. once you get educated about the detox process and junkie thinking you will find information that you can use as "tools" to help you cope and get past the cravings. they have tons of people who participate in all stages of quit that you can talk to as well for support. hang tight it is doable and you will be so happy to be free of the habit! congrats on your quit.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:21 AM

14,017 posts, read 18,345,419 times
We are all individuals and our body chemistry (including our brain chemistry) varies. There is a wide range of experiences among those who give up smoking, which is illustrated every time there is a thread such a this one. Some people are able to quit fairly easily and the cravings disappear fairly quickly. Other people find it horribly difficult and the cravings last much longer. Therefore, no one can give the OP any enlightenment about how long it will be until point X or point Y.

Personally I have never heard a story as extreme as the OP's story. Therefore I believe she is doing the right thing to seek medical guidance. As encouragement, I can only say that at the end of the tunnel it will turn out to be worth it, as there are so many downsides to smoking in addition to the greatly increased incidence of lung cancer.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi.Imani View Post
I smoked a pack a day for 16 yrs. I quit smoking with the help of the patch. Today is my 7th day off of the patch. My anger and frustration result in me crying twice today. When will I stop crying. I thought the nicotine leaves the body in 3 days?
I'd say the emotional sense of loss takes about a month to leave. You can do it. It feels as if you lost a friend, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health