Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 75,424 times

Advertisements

Anon chick - wow you nailed it all for me - my whole experience with this quit and fibromyalgia
Thankyou for your understanding

I dont get the xanax reference?
The valium - 1 mg is a laughable dose - 5mg is an average dose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Smoking is a great defense mechanism to help you deal with both anger and anxiety. I used to be a smoker, but stopped through acupressure and hypnosis.

I recommend EFT as a free, easy, fast way to deal with all negative emotions. If you are interested, just go to YouTube and put whatever your problem is in with EFT in the search engine. I also recommend Brad Yates but there are many people to choose from.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
TimesRAChangin, you have the perfect attitude. After my meltdown I thought, "Heck no, I will never go through THAT again." It only made my resolve more determined!

Eat if you want. I did. At the very beginning I ate every time I had a cigarette. Junk food, too! Whatever I wanted! I figured, heck, I could deal with that situation later but I needed to get over those first very powerful cravings. You know what happened? I lost 10 pounds! I was so wound up with nervous energy and on top of that I kept moving all the time, cleaning the house, whatever would occupy me, that I lost the weight!

I have fibromyalgia. It has improved considerably after quitting smoking. Potassium and magnesium supplements helped as well. And I am hypothyroid. So what. I soldiered on. Quitting smoking is good for you and whatever your issues, they will improve now. They sure have for me!

I am so, so proud of you! You will do this! I can feel it!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 PM

741 posts, read 1,678,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't understand why it's so hard for people to quit. When I decided to stop smoking, I just did. No rehab. No patch. No drug. I quit drinking and other stuff the same way. Just set your freaking mind to it and do it.
LOL Good for you but you must not have the addictive gene..for one thing.. By the way, my husband set his mind to it and quit very easily too..he was in a slightly bad mood for a few days..he was also the same when he quit drinking 20 years ago..he is also a much more relaxed person than me too..he doesn't get anxious he doesn't ever "lose it" like I do.. He is different..
He started smoking at the age of 12..he smoked for over 30 years..Thank God he was never condescending towards me though when I quit..he just sat there ignoring my ranting and raving

Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Hiknapster - re fibro - i have not had a cigarette in 49 days now - that's an actual ciggie not nicotine - on day 2 of not having a ciggie, that pain that screams thru my hips from fibro, completely disappeared. I always said, i could live with back pain, brain fog. arthritis, the ears, the skin sting, and every other stupid thing of fibro but i could not live with that hip pain .. all i can think is that one of the chemicals in a ciggie were causing that pain.

I am eating like a pig lol but really trying to be a smart pig lol because i have arthritis and broke my back - being physical is not something i really do - so i dont want to put too much weight on - so i drink cranberry juice every time i have a crave - thats awesome - who would believe id eat radish lol so yeah trying hard here.

When i quit - and entered this serious omg someone up slap me depression - i stopped painting. I don't seem to be able to find my creative side. Its been a journey that got well and truly dragged out with an e-cig but i am hoping it will soon be over and i can find some love of art again - right now - i am like - who cares less!!! Couldn't be bothered! Sigh, Maybe tomorrow!

I now believe all these things will pass, the mere fact that i have survived the depression and panic attack shows me it will all pass, but sigh i wish soon lol

Thanks everyone - you all rock and i value you all

Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't understand why it's so hard for people to quit. When I decided to stop smoking, I just did. No rehab. No patch. No drug. I quit drinking and other stuff the same way. Just set your freaking mind to it and do it.
David, that was likely the most condescending post i have read but i forgive you and thanks for your input, your post reminds me of why i left my first marriage

Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain, Aching Tender Points, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Poor Energy, Herbal Remedies, Herb Teas, Food, Natural Remedies at Peacefulmind.com

This is pretty comprehensive.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 PM

just reading that and definitely night shade elimination - those things for me are horrendous for pain

Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
In desperation I went looking for some inspiration online. I found a video a son made of his mother dying of lung cancer. She wanted him to do it so that others would not have the same fate. It was incredibly powerful. At my lowest times I would remember that woman dying, of her trying to breathe, for grappling for breath and the urge to smoke would pass.
Reminds me of that commercial Yul Brenner did .
Yul Brynner - Anti-Smoking Commercial - YouTube

Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Just remember, once you decide to regularly pick up that pack, you can cut your risks for heart disease and emphysema by quitting, but your risk for lung cancer, the #1 cause of cancer deaths in the US and world wide, does not lessen after quitting. Many ex-smokers like my former co-worker still end up getting metaststic cancer years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health