U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM

10,019 posts, read 10,942,917 times

Advertisements

Sure it could just be hormonal but there could be some underlying issue that's bothering you. If you can ID this issue or thought then you will be in a position to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 PM

910 posts, read 1,433,862 times
thanks everyone, I think i was just stressed out... I had an argument with my friend and at the time it didn't seem to bother me, and all this college stuff has been stressing me out, i figure it's probably that- the sadness doesn't affect my day, it isn't like disruptive.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 AM

606 posts, read 818,712 times
A book you might find useful:

Women's Moods: What Every Woman Must Know About Hormones, the Brain, and Emotional Health by Deborah Sichel. It includes a self-care section that you might like -- it's pretty balanced and non-crazy .

Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,418,760 times
You need to be talking to your parents........

Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 AM

16,056 posts, read 20,687,874 times
Please check in with the counselor that you were seeing. Otherwise, find another one that you feel comfortable with, and just talk to them.

Share what you've just shared here. It could be a combination of things you've already identified, plus hormones, plus stressors like preparing for higher education, the daily school stresses...It could be a compilation of past, and present stresses...because stress is cumulative...it compounds, and each stress adds more...

Like a back pack that is getting heavier and heavier...One little book doesn't feel so overwhelming, but add that huge history book, that math booklet, that band instrument...everything that has been just a small stress stockpiles...Hope that helps explain it.

One thing you need to know for sure, there is nothing wrong w/ reaching out for help. In fact, it shows a very high level of intelligence that you recognize that you may need to reach out, as you did here. I hope that you'll touch base w/ your counselor, or another adult that you trust for guidance with these feelings. I know you will feel the weight lifted when you do. Be well.

Last edited by JanND; 11-02-2012 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: text corrected

Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,491,533 times
I think it's healthy you're crying happens to me often and I'm 54. I always feel better after a good cry. It's the people that hold everything in that have the real problems. My daughter is 17 like you and and there is so much stress- all the college stuff, still trying to keep up with your class work, clubs, social stuff. Of course you feel like crying sometimes, very normal.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,442,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
thanks everyone, I think i was just stressed out... I had an argument with my friend and at the time it didn't seem to bother me, and all this college stuff has been stressing me out, i figure it's probably that- the sadness doesn't affect my day, it isn't like disruptive.
You sound like a perfectly normal 17-year-old girl. Looking back, my only advice would be to try and get plenty of sleep, exercise regularly and to eat well. Don't be afraid to skip a party to go to bed early on a Friday night. You'll feel so much better the next day.

I don't really expect you to take this advice....

Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,926 times
Cool Yes

It is normal for a number of reasons, hormone fluctuations, frontal lobe reorganization which isn't complete until around age 21 can be as high as 25, and high school is stressful. On the frontal lobe reorganization aspect that is the largest culprit in mood variability and problems with reason and logic. Our emotional center of our brain, the limbic system is then in control of our emotive thinking instead of our cerebral cortex. It's also why teens are generally more impulsive and disinhibited. Perfectly normal part of growth and development.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,926 times
Also women are often scolded in this society for being emotional and are labeled "hormonal" or "emotional". Yet we are expected to carry the world on our backs. Bad days are normal, crying is normal, feeling like you wanna scream at the top of your lungs is normal. Suicidal thoughts, self harm behaviors, negative self talk that prevents you from following your dreams is not. Take deep breaths, pace yourself, when things feel hectic slow down. Have fun during your last year being mostly responsibility free! Get into the college of your dreams. But only if you are happy not if it's to please others.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 PM

9,431 posts, read 11,393,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Ok. So I'm 17 years old and sometimes I just get these random moments. Like right now, as I'm writing this I'm crying. I don't have problems at home, I get along with my parents, I have a few close friends, I work and I play sports.

Could my random episodes just be stress? I went to counseling a few months ago and haven't gone back since btw.
Basically just wanted to know of this was normal. Thanks.
You are going to hate this answer, especially coming from someone in their mid-40s...the answer is in your first statement, So I'm 17 years old!!! Yes, it can be very normal. Why did you stop counseling? Counseling can be very helpful. You know thoise silly ads out now, it gets better? I think they're geared towards gay teens, but it's true in general. I promise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health