U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 PM

910 posts, read 1,431,592 times

Advertisements

Ok. So I'm 17 years old and sometimes I just get these random moments. Like right now, as I'm writing this I'm crying. I don't have problems at home, I get along with my parents, I have a few close friends, I work and I play sports.

Could my random episodes just be stress? I went to counseling a few months ago and haven't gone back since btw.
Basically just wanted to know of this was normal. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 PM

47,260 posts, read 45,601,562 times
Hormones!

Why Am I in Such a Bad Mood?

Yes, it's totally normal. Hard to deal with at the time, but normal.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM

8,395 posts, read 10,174,543 times
My 18 and 19 year old daughters still do this. It's normal, welcome to the wonderful world of being a female. We cry over nothing, laugh over nothing, anger over nothing. This will continue until after menopause.

Don't attach it to anything and just let the emotion have it's peace and move on. I just asked my 19 year old the other day why she was crying, she said, "I don't know." lol I said, "oh, yea, I get that."

Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 PM

I figured. I just wanted to make sure cause for the most part I haven't had this since I was like 14 lol

Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 PM

11,344 posts, read 21,750,354 times
I think it can happen at any age. My mom is past menopause and she still does it.

Sometimes pregnancy can make you really emotional...if that's a possibility you might want to test so you can rule that out.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 AM

11,636 posts, read 21,023,589 times
I think the question you have to ask yourself is whether your crying spells interfere with your normal life. If not, I would say it is normal for some women to be very emotional. If it interferes with your ability to function I would seek counseling because it is not normal to be so emotional that it interferes with your normal life.

So-like the others on this thread I would say it is normal to be emotional as long as it does not interfere with your life.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,422,949 times
I agree with all of the above. Some people are wired to be more emotionally responsive than others, particularly when under stress. If it is not interfering with your functioning or causing you great distress I would not worry; if it is, then I might try talking to a professional (a different one if you didn't like the counselor you saw). But what you described can be totally normal. Hang in there.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 AM

Thanks everyone! ☺ and no I'm not pregnant

Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 AM

1,434 posts, read 1,597,046 times
It's something that teens and young adults go through.
When I was a teen, (I'm a guy) I was pretty moody, didn't want to be bothered, pretty blunt with answers, etc.

Nothing really bothered me, it's just how I was.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM

16,053 posts, read 20,633,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Ok. So I'm 17 years old and sometimes I just get these random moments. Like right now, as I'm writing this I'm crying. I don't have problems at home, I get along with my parents, I have a few close friends, I work and I play sports.

Could my random episodes just be stress? I went to counseling a few months ago and haven't gone back since btw.
Basically just wanted to know of this was normal. Thanks.
Are you more emotional near your time of the month?? Hormones wreak havoc on young women...it lasts for years. MAybe do some research on the internet about your symptoms...and see your family doctor. Perhaps there is something he/she can do to help. Sometimes just knowing it is normal can help alleviate the fear.
Here is a WebMD page and I did a search using "teen mood swing" You could search more using your symptoms. Hope this helps, I would also suggest that you go back to your counselor... WebMD Health Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health