Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times

Advertisements

Generic Seroquel which goes by the name of Quetiapine Fumarate is now available in the U.S. This will be good news to those that rely on this medication for bi-polar, OCD, depression, sleep disorders (off label) and other things. Apotex is one of the manufacturers now.

This will also be good news for those that might be on state sponsored health plans that don't approve brand name medications because of cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times
Wow, both my husband and I take this medicine and this will make our lives much less expensive!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Anyone have any idea of what the cost is? From what I hear, the cost of a generic drug is not always much lower than the brand name, immediately after the patent expires. Rather, the cost tends to decrease gradually.

There will be many, many people who will benefit from this.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times
I'm on a state sponsored plan right now so I pay nothing out of pocket. But in general, the generic versions are priced a little higher than they eventually will sell at later once more companies come in to fight for market share. Seroquel went off patent in late March. I wouldn't be suprised if 10 or more different companies end up producing the generic, as Seroquel was one of Astra Zeneca's biggest money producers.

Brand Seroquel was about $250-$275 I think for 30 pills if I'm not mistaken. The generic company Apotex makes a generic right now with Teva and others soon to hit market. Call your local pharmacy to check prices. Costco can be pretty cheap. If someone says that they don't carry it right now,wait a little. Like I said, it just came off patent about 30 days ago and pharmacies are just now stocking the generic.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Be careful. When the generic lamictal was introduced, it was found the base they changed effected its effectiveness. A LOT of people had problems. Many had it written in that they must take the origional since it didn't work. The generic would have the same active ingredience but the rest can be different.

I take alieve/naorixen for my knees. I bought the generic second since the first was in gelcap and they don't work well with me. The generic is in a pill. Sometimes the form is the cause for something not working rather than the drug itself.

And be careful with serequel. It caused me to develop cataracs but I didn't have access to look things up then and was never taken off, thus had them on both eyes. And it eventually caused me to start passing out. If any of this happenes alert your doctor immediately.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Be careful. When the generic lamictal was introduced, it was found the base they changed effected its effectiveness. A LOT of people had problems. Many had it written in that they must take the origional since it didn't work. The generic would have the same active ingredience but the rest can be different.

I take alieve/naorixen for my knees. I bought the generic second since the first was in gelcap and they don't work well with me. The generic is in a pill. Sometimes the form is the cause for something not working rather than the drug itself.

And be careful with serequel. It caused me to develop cataracs but I didn't have access to look things up then and was never taken off, thus had them on both eyes. And it eventually caused me to start passing out. If any of this happenes alert your doctor immediately.
No, it's not a hangover remedy I learned that the hard way. For me it resulted in a restless-leg syndrome which I'm sure many of you out there know is plain torture. Never again.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 PM

RLS is awful. The first thing I was on was neurotin. It also induced this.

Serequel was given me for stress, as needed. Since where I was renting the marriage was dissolving and between them and the screeming children there was plenty of stress (and a few near calls to the police) I used it more than I would have otherwise, only the 25mg pills. I started having these times I'd wake up just unable to get out of bed. Later it turned into fainting spells. It can cause 'a sudden lowering of blood pressure'. Doctor tested me for everything and never found a cause, but when I associated having to lay down *now* or fall on the floor with the pill I just took, and didn't take any more, the problem stopped.

The psych doc never even had a clue even if he was responsible for the perscription. Even if the warninging is on the FDA testing sheet (looked it up) with a big red check. Before you take a meds, look that up and read it and give it to your doctor to read it since they don't bother to look that up.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
RLS is awful. The first thing I was on was neurotin. It also induced this.

Serequel was given me for stress, as needed. Since where I was renting the marriage was dissolving and between them and the screeming children there was plenty of stress (and a few near calls to the police) I used it more than I would have otherwise, only the 25mg pills. I started having these times I'd wake up just unable to get out of bed. Later it turned into fainting spells. It can cause 'a sudden lowering of blood pressure'. Doctor tested me for everything and never found a cause, but when I associated having to lay down *now* or fall on the floor with the pill I just took, and didn't take any more, the problem stopped.

The psych doc never even had a clue even if he was responsible for the perscription. Even if the warninging is on the FDA testing sheet (looked it up) with a big red check. Before you take a meds, look that up and read it and give it to your doctor to read it since they don't bother to look that up.
When I took Serequel pills RLS continued for atleast 24 hours. I went to a general practice doctor and described my symptoms (feeling of RLS is hard to explain) and my Serequel experiment. I was very lucky because she knew immediately what I was trying to say. What you have is what we call "Akhatisia" and it's managble by Benzos and Propanolol. Or both.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 04-26-2012 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
When I took Serequel pills RLS continued for atleast 24 hours. I went to a general practice doctor and described my symptoms (feeling of RLS is hard to explain) and my Serequel experiment. I was very lucky because she knew immediately what I was trying to say. What you have is what we call "Akhatisia" and it's managble by Benzos and Propanolol. Or both.
Actually, once I quit taking pills, the physical symptoms dissapeared. I had one doctor who was older and not pharma influenced who said to take half a dose first of a meds since I react quickly and strongly to them. Some of us are just made differently. No way would I add pills to pills to manage bad side effects of pills.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Actually, once I quit taking pills, the physical symptoms dissapeared. I had one doctor who was older and not pharma influenced who said to take half a dose first of a meds since I react quickly and strongly to them. Some of us are just made differently. No way would I add pills to pills to manage bad side effects of pills.
Me either, it was the first and last time I tried Seroquel and I got such a bad RLS that the doctor decided to give 10mg Valium. IMO Seroquel should not be prescribed to anyone suffering from anxiety, social tension or sleeping probs. There are other medications for that. Seroquel was developed especially fo the treatment of Schizophrenia. It's an anti-psychotic altough an atypical one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health