Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times

Advertisements

I'm a 29 year old male, and have just admitted to myself that I have a lot of issues with my family, relationships with females, and a bit of a substance abuse issue.

I figure therapy is a step in the right direction, however, I have no idea what I'm looking for in a therapist. Do I just go to my insurance website and pick the first name that pops up, call them, and make an appointment?

Also, what type of therapy do I need? My insurance provide only lists family/marriage counselor. Since I'm not married, I'm not sure if this is the best option for me...

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
A family / marriage counselor would do just fine!

Might want to pick male /female as you prefer.

And might want to pick someone close to where you live.

Other than that, pick anyone, be sure they accept your insurance. Then if for some reason it does not work for you, find someone else.

And good for you to get counseling! Those who go to counseling when the need arises tend to be mentally healthy.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Many therapists will speak with you briefly by phone before you make the first appointment to make sure they will meet your needs as well as to give you a chance to see if it seems like you will "click". When you call to schedule an appointment ask about the possibility of a brief phone interview.

Another resource might be your primary care physician if you have one. Often they are aware of therapists in the area and might be a good source of a referral.

Finally, after your first appointment or two, if it doesn't feel like the right sort of person, move on. I know several people who have done the hard work of recognizing that they need help, made an appointment, couldn't relate to the therapist and then discounted therapy from that point on rather than recognizing that not all therapists are going to be a perfect match.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
A family / marriage counselor would do just fine!

Might want to pick male /female as you prefer.

And might want to pick someone close to where you live.

Other than that, pick anyone, be sure they accept your insurance. Then if for some reason it does not work for you, find someone else.

And good for you to get counseling! Those who go to counseling when the need arises tend to be mentally healthy.
There may be some sort of gatekeeper (associated with your insurance) which can route you to the right professional. I don't know, just sort of brainstorming. Sometimes there are prerequisites or preapprovals for like 20 visits or something like that.

Last edited by Charles; 10-29-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
I agree with pinetreelover.

Also, are there other categories of providers that your insurance covers? Meaning, did you looking under "counselor" vs "mental health" ,etc? See if there are additional categories.

An approach that can work well for substance abuse and many other issues is cognitive behavioral and also rational-emotive behavioral therapy.

If you also are interested in online help for substance abuse, check out smartrecovery.org. It is an alternative to 12-step programs, although many people use it along with aa or na or the like.

Kudos to you for seeking help!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Well, I got my first session booked. I went on Yelp and picked the one closest to me with the best reviews. She said she took my insurance, so hopefully I won't get charged an arm and a leg for this...

Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Just realize that your 1st therapist may not work....sometimes, it takes several tries to find the "right" therapist! Hopefully, you've got it right on the 1st try....but if not, don't give up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health