U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,773,731 times
Reputation: 17581

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I disagree; I don't think people are the same everywhere you go. Certain cities and even areas within cities have a certain vibe to them, and certain cities attract different types of people based on different priorities. DFW seems to attract very self-centered, materialistic, conservative, douchey types.

Do you have any data, any data at all that support this? Anything other than your personal perception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times
Reputation: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you have any data, any data at all that support this? Anything other than your personal perception?
I don't think any universities have done studies on a city's douchebag factor, no.

I have lived elsewhere and traveled a lot, and I do not agree that everyone is the same everywhere. America is more homogenous culturally-speaking than Europe, but there are regional differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,773,731 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't think any universities have done studies on a city's douchebag factor, no.

I have lived elsewhere and traveled a lot, and I do not agree that everyone is the same everywhere. America is more homogenous culturally-speaking than Europe, but there are regional differences.
OK, even if you are right, is it worth it to pick up your stuff, spend all that money, move away from your network, force yourself to relearn an entire new city, adjust to that city's infrastructure, etc just on the chance you'll meet better people?

I'd bet you could move two miles away to a different neighborhood, maybe demographically different or racially different and experience the change you're looking for???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times
Reputation: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, even if you are right, is it worth it to pick up your stuff, spend all that money, move away from your network, force yourself to relearn an entire new city, adjust to that city's infrastructure, etc just on the chance you'll meet better people?

I'd bet you could move two miles away to a different neighborhood, maybe demographically different or racially different and experience the change you're looking for???
Has nothing to do with race.

I have moved within DFW in the last 5 years. Didn't help. All I did was tie a boat anchor around my waist by buying a house.

And yes, it's a good point; moving is a HUGE undertaking and it's a big risk. Hence the question...is it me, or is it Big D?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: East Side Milwaukee
711 posts, read 1,490,149 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Has nothing to do with race.

I have moved within DFW in the last 5 years. Didn't help. All I did was tie a boat anchor around my waist by buying a house.

And yes, it's a good point; moving is a HUGE undertaking and it's a big risk. Hence the question...is it me, or is it Big D?
It seems like it doesn't matter objectively if it's you or the city. You want to move, you're just looking for validation.

So move, find where you're happy... just realize you may be bringing the problem with you. The real trick is knowing where to find what you're looking for, that's always tougher than knowing what you don't want, but maybe you knew that.


Good luck on finding where you're happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times
Reputation: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
It seems like it doesn't matter objectively if it's you or the city. You want to move, you're just looking for validation.

So move, find where you're happy... just realize you may be bringing the problem with you. The real trick is knowing where to find what you're looking for, that's always tougher than knowing what you don't want, but maybe you knew that.


Good luck on finding where you're happy
I can see how you might think that, but that's not the case. Thanks anyway for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Texas, USA
3 posts, read 4,334 times
Reputation: 12
Good shabbos! I'm single, 30's as well, but love Love LOVE the whole metroplex; of course, I came here from Mississippi so.... Not that I don't love MS, but there's so much life and growth here. The traffic isn't ideal, but it works. SO MUCH to do here, sorry you're not loving it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 PM
 
1,261 posts, read 2,154,860 times
Reputation: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Has nothing to do with race.

I have moved within DFW in the last 5 years. Didn't help. All I did was tie a boat anchor around my waist by buying a house.

And yes, it's a good point; moving is a HUGE undertaking and it's a big risk. Hence the question...is it me, or is it Big D?
BDG -- I don't think it's you. I think the vibe of a city or region definitely affects who we are as people.

For me it's a climate thing, plus that DFW has zero natural charm. I know I am happier on the inside when I am in a place that has mild temperatures and some kind of natural appeal. I hate the heat.

I know whenever I'm in California, for example, I feel more energetic and lively. I get out more, I walk daily, I just feel more -- awake? And attuned to the world. And my attitude is so much better that I'm more outgoing and people are more open to me. Sounds weird, but there it is. I wish mightily that I could afford to move out there. DH and I talk about retiring there. Maybe - some day.

You should let yourself dream a little - where would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times
Reputation: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
BDG -- I don't think it's you. I think the vibe of a city or region definitely affects who we are as people.

For me it's a climate thing, plus that DFW has zero natural charm. I know I am happier on the inside when I am in a place that has mild temperatures and some kind of natural appeal. I hate the heat.

I know whenever I'm in California, for example, I feel more energetic and lively. I get out more, I walk daily, I just feel more -- awake? And attuned to the world. And my attitude is so much better that I'm more outgoing and people are more open to me. Sounds weird, but there it is. I wish mightily that I could afford to move out there. DH and I talk about retiring there. Maybe - some day.

You should let yourself dream a little - where would you go?
THANK YOU; I do think cities have a 'vibe' and that 'vibe' can really affect your mood.

Right now I'm zeroing in on Tulsa, St. Louis, KCMO, or Little Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:22 AM
 
8,342 posts, read 7,512,251 times
Reputation: 6803
Default Read Up on Those Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
THANK YOU; I do think cities have a 'vibe' and that 'vibe' can really affect your mood.

Right now I'm zeroing in on Tulsa, St. Louis, KCMO, or Little Rock.
Don't forget to read the City-Data Forum on those cities. You can pick up on the vibe of the cities from that, even if it is sometimes a bit cynical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top