U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,315,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Don't forget to read the City-Data Forum on those cities. You can pick up on the vibe of the cities from that, even if it is sometimes a bit cynical.
I've looked at them; none of them are particularly active but I think over time it might give me a better idea of what those cities are like. Of the four, I have visited two of them and passed through a third. All are less than a day's drive from DFW so it wouldn't be difficult to take a long weekend trip to any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,156,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
THANK YOU; I do think cities have a 'vibe' and that 'vibe' can really affect your mood.

Right now I'm zeroing in on Tulsa, St. Louis, KCMO, or Little Rock.
Interesting -- we moved here from Tulsa. I wasn't exactly sorry to leave because I could never seem to find a decent paying job. But it's a cool little city, for sure. I go back frequently to visit family and I can't believe how much it has changed -- for the better. The downtown area is very vibrant and lively, with a lot of good restaurants and a thriving music scene. I think the economy has picked up there since the natural gas boom started, too.

If you would like more specific details, feel free to PM me.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Interesting -- we moved here from Tulsa. I wasn't exactly sorry to leave because I could never seem to find a decent paying job. But it's a cool little city, for sure. I go back frequently to visit family and I can't believe how much it has changed -- for the better. The downtown area is very vibrant and lively, with a lot of good restaurants and a thriving music scene. I think the economy has picked up there since the natural gas boom started, too.

If you would like more specific details, feel free to PM me.
That's the beauty part; I can do my job from anywhere so I'd already having a job...making Dallas money to boot!

Basically my fear would be boredom. I hate being bored. I also need to have good shopping, good libraries, outdoor activities, etc.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,030,628 times
It sounds like a combination of things going on that make you feel the way you do. I believe that a persons envirement can have a lot to do with how a person feels. But your own inner feelings can have a lot to do with how you feel to. Its too easy to say its the envirement or its all in yourself. I would leave the envirement for one thing.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM

21,326 posts, read 37,265,906 times
Quote:
I took that 'find my spot' quiz and of the 24 cities it recommended, only 2 were in the south (Little Rock and Shreveport) and 7 were in Wisconsin. I don't think I'd want to go as far away as that. Maybe Tulsa or St Louis or KCMO.

In the 2000s I spent varying amounts of time in Poland, Germany, France, and England. I think of all of them I liked Germany the most overall, .
I would recommned Wisconsin as it is the POLAR OPPOSITE of Texas culturally, socially, climate-wise, etc, but the people make up for it. They are generally friendly, accepting, non-pretentious, geniune, and not as money driven compared to other places I have lived. It does have some similarities with Germany as it received a large wave of German immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This is noted in some of the built environments, architecture, culture (breweries), foods, that are common here. I have lived in different parts of the country and I am originally from KCMO (family lived in Johnson County, KS- suburb of KCMO onthe Kansas side). Johnson County, KS and KCMO have a bit too much in common culturally with DFW. Lots of pretentiousness, flakey, materialistic, money driven, and unfriendly people there.

I moved to Madison, Wisconsin which has a great job market if you have experience in the technology (IT) or medical sphere. I work at Roadview, Inc, (A Geographic Information Systems company), and they are hiring lots of new people over the past few months and will have additional growth next year. Milwaukee and Chicago are not very far away so it is well connected with the rest of the US and anywhere else.

AND, I DO AGREE with you. People are NOT the same everywhere. Regional differences are definitely present on many levels.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would recommned Wisconsin as it is the POLAR OPPOSITE of Texas culturally, socially, climate-wise, etc, but the people make up for it. They are generally friendly, accepting, non-pretentious, geniune, and not as money driven compared to other places I have lived. It does have some similarities with Germany as it received a large wave of German immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This is noted in some of the built environments, architecture, culture (breweries), foods, that are common here. I have lived in different parts of the country and I am originally from KCMO (family lived in Johnson County, KS- suburb of KCMO onthe Kansas side). Johnson County, KS and KCMO have a bit too much in common culturally with DFW. Lots of pretentiousness, flakey, materialistic, money driven, and unfriendly people there.

I moved to Madison, Wisconsin which has a great job market if you have experience in the technology (IT) or medical sphere. I work at Roadview, Inc, (A Geographic Information Systems company), and they are hiring lots of new people over the past few months and will have additional growth next year. Milwaukee and Chicago are not very far away so it is well connected with the rest of the US and anywhere else.

AND, I DO AGREE with you. People are NOT the same everywhere. Regional differences are definitely present on many levels.
It sounds great! You're not the first person to suggest Wisconsin, specifically Madison; people from various parts of the Midwest have suggested it to me several times. I suppose I should visit sometime, but the winters and the distance seem kind of scary.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
It sounds great! You're not the first person to suggest Wisconsin, specifically Madison; people from various parts of the Midwest have suggested it to me several times. I suppose I should visit sometime, but the winters and the distance seem kind of scary.
Winters will take adjustment if you've lived in the southern tier of the US your entire life. Snow is not a big deal here because they really plow the main roads, nearly all are paved. Madison is not that isolated. It is about an hour via interstate to Milwaukee and an hour and a half to the outskirts of Chicago. Madison is unique geographically because it is on an isthmus surrounded by lakes Mendota and Monona on either side. Yes, I would definitely recommend visiting As mentioned, they have plenty of IT employment with a good deal of growth overall.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 PM

868 posts, read 996,516 times
I would probably be depressed in Dallas too (or anywhere in Texas for that matter).

Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I would probably be depressed in Dallas too (or anywhere in Texas for that matter).
I just can't live that far south in latitude. The intensity of the sun and heat really bothers me even as far north as 40N latitude.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,797,512 times
I have found that people often take their problems and issues with them, no matter where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or