U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM

10,570 posts, read 11,130,511 times

Advertisements

I have seen people who abused pain killers a few times- who are not drug addicts...who confide in their doctors and then get stuck on Methadone...One young lady got so sick of the stuff and was so constipated from this artificial opiate replacement that she died...and she was not even a true drug addict..the dope did not kill her- the system did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 AM

154 posts, read 331,909 times
AMEN, and it is so sad that there is no way to avoid the system as far as I know...

Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,080,999 times
I am sorry I did not find this thread sooner...I am the unofficial "king" of methadone and its effects ets...My ex was on the stuff the whole 10 years we were together..at first I did not know it but the last 7 years were living hell...because it's hell living with someone coming off the stuff....for one thing...it's half life is 24 to 36 hours...meaning it lasts longer than most other pain pills,,,which means when you "stop cold turkey" you suffer terrible withdrawels for weeks possibly months...the longer you take it the more it stores up in your system...I would suggest even though your Hubby takes/took it for pain check out a methadone clinic in your area...at least that will get him out of hellish withdrawel. People with chronic pain need to understand at the beginning of treatment that once your start taking opiates you will gradually have to increase...and if you want to stop you have to taper very slowly....I mean over a period of months slowly,.I hate that Dr's move and leave patients on strong narcotics hanging like that....it's awful...I hope your Husband gets relief fast and I hope you do to because I know it's such a strain seeing someone you love hurt like that...good luck!!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM

We're looking forward to the 12th of Dec. Pain clinic appt. Thank you for your support.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM

10,019 posts, read 10,920,613 times
I was on Oxycontin for 5 years for bad pain sustained in an accident. Needless to say I was badly addicted to this medication. When I decided to get off it the 2nd time I was not prepared to go throgh the hell I had experienced the first and unsuccessful attempt. To that end I decided to experiment with asprin with a little condine in it. 222s over the counter have I think a quarter grain per tablet. Anyway, it worked very well. It kept the worse of the withdrawl at bay and helped a great deal with the pain also. In my case I don't take tylonol bcause of liver problems but I have a great stomach so I was not afraid of the ASA in the 222s. Over time I weaned myself off the 222s and learned better how to deal with the pain med free. I have been med free for 6 years now.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Wow, congratulations to you to overcome such an evil addiction. Can I ask you, how do you deal with the pain being med free ? I would like to pass this on to my husband in case he is not suited for a neuro-stimulators. 6 years med free now, what a strong person you are.
Take care and thanks.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM

10,019 posts, read 10,920,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Wow, congratulations to you to overcome such an evil addiction. Can I ask you, how do you deal with the pain being med free ? I would like to pass this on to my husband in case he is not suited for a neuro-stimulators. 6 years med free now, what a strong person you are.
Take care and thanks.
I attended a course at the hospital on dealing with and coping wth chronic pain. It was very good and I was able to use a lot of what I learned there.

I really should ammend my claim to be med free. I still on occasion use over the counter pain meds when my old injuries flair up really bad. I find Naproxen, {Aleive} gives me a lot of relief and also Ibruprofen works well. That would not work for everyone though. It depends on the type of pain. My pain is mostly caused by inflamation so these anti inflamatories are great. I really aviod using even them though unless the pain gets really bad.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 AM

As far as my opinion goes you ARE pain med free. I will get my husband some Aleive. Thank you and congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health