Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 AM

154 posts, read 419,748 times

Advertisements

Can someone please advise. I will make this short. My husband is tapering off Mehadone with no help from his doctor. He won't Rx for ANYTHING to help him. He has the shakes and everything that goes with it. He was given this 8 years ago for chronic pain and he is tired of taking it. His family doc will NOT give him ANYTHING to help. My question is what can my husband take for the pain he has. He needs hip replacements and rotator cuff re-repair. He is 65 years old. What does a person take for chronic pain when they stop Methadone or other pain meds? I need help please. My husband is down from 250mg+ to 10mg once a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 01:55 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,158,743 times
I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say good luck to you and your husband.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Thank you.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,228,309 times
Well so far as I know, pain medicines which *work* are addictive and they stop working when taken over a long period of time, so the dosage needs to be increased. Not good.

Then the DEA is coming down HARD on doctors who prescribe "too many" pain killers. They can lose their ability to prescribe pain medicine! They are even going after pharmacies now which are dispensing too many pain killers...
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/bu...anted=all&_r=0

The drug abusers have wrecked it for people who legitimately need pain medication.

There are spinal injections for pain, but problems lately with that...
Many needlessly getting steroid injections for back pain, bioethicist says - Vitals

I assume your husband has tried the various over-the-counter pain medicines?
Pain Killers Comparison Chart - Painkiller Summary

Ask your doctor about those. The doctor may allow taking a higher dosage than the label specifies.

And then there are doctors who specialize in chronic pain. Might ask around and see if there is such a doctor in your area.

So far as a drug addiction and withdrawal, doctors don't like to prescribe anything else. Inpatient drug treatment is an option.

Some people swear by acupuncture? Might check that out.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM

88,139 posts, read 84,005,514 times
I have no solution, but I wish your husband the best as he gets through this.

Until this post (which sent me a-Googling) I had no idea that methadone was ever used for anything other than heroin withdrawal.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Tylenol, etc. doesn't touch his pain. He also has kidney disease and has to be careful taking almost everything. The pharmacist said Quinine was helpful for jitters but there again she said be careful because of his kidneys. I read something about neuro-stimulators and pain pumps. Does anyone know about neuro-stimulators ?? Acupuncture probably would help but he has Medicare and they don't care if you live or die as far as coverage for certain things go. As I said he is down now to 10mg a day which is a miracle he just hasn't blown apart....He is scheduled to stop totally Wednesday. Scared what will happen and CANNOT depend on his doc doing anything. Even my pharmacist is puzzled as to why he won't help. We are new patients to him but he has our charts and that shows NO indication that either one of us are pill heads. Don't understand but thanks to all.....

Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,158,743 times
Is this current doctor not the one who prescribed the methadone? It might help if the current doctor could refer your husband to an actual pain clinic. They would be able to discuss treatment and medication options that might help.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 AM

Well, that's a whole new story. My husband had been going to a reputable pain clinic but is was 2 hours away so his doc said she would write the Rx for the Methadone. His doc of 4 years "suddenly" had to transfer to another city. She never did anything she shouldn't have done for us but I don't know what happened. That left us hanging so to speak with no doctor. I chose this new one by word of mouth. I am trying to get him in the original pain clinic but it is taking so long. His new doc WILL NOT do anything to help him as I said before. In the meantime waiting for the pain clinic to take him again he is having withdrawals that could be helped by non-narcotic meds. The doc is only 30 years old. Now, I have learned there is a doc in the same building that will help with withdrawal BUT it will look now like I am "doctor shopping". Today is the first day he will be going without. He took 5mg yesterday so I don't know what ill happen when it all gets out of his system. Sorry to rant on but I have no else to talk to about this matter because I live in a Meth, crack, oxy, etc. area in KY. I know Pillbillys, that's what we're called around here if we take more than an 81mg aspirin. Thank you all.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,228,309 times
Well if he goes "wild", call 911.

If he gets verbally nasty, you can leave.

(I once quit smoking and NO ONE wanted to be around me! )

So far as living in that "druggie" area and long term treatment of his pain, can you move elsewhere?

In some cases of doctors prescribing too much pain medicine, it is the choice for the doctor to keep his license and not prescribe pain medicine (to anyone!) or prescribe pain medicine and lose his license. Some doctors are under some sort of "probation" along with all this.

Note the druggies go to the doctor and tell them wildly exaggerated stories about how much pain they are in. So then someone like myself with a legitimate serious pain goes in, then I just say "it hurts", then in comparison it sounds to them like I just need aspirin! But my doctor knows me. He knows if I say "it hurts", then that is extreme pain. And I only need pain medicine every couple of years - I smash my thumb with a hammer or whatever.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM

You are so right about the druggies and their "stories" to get the dope. I made an appt. with his no help doctor tomorrow instead of two weeks from now. I am going to ask him a big WHY he won't help and what is he supposed to use for the pain once he is off the dope. Does anybody know anything about pain patches, neuro-stimulators, or pain pumps. I know I asked that before but I didn't ask I don't think about pain patches. I don't know whether I'm coming or going right now. I know I look forward to this forum. I hope sometime I can help somebody on here. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health