Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times

Advertisements

Ever since I was a little kid I liked to look out the window and watch the world go by, day or night.
I was never tested for autism, but I was diagnosed as manic depressive as well as paranoid schizophrenic
in my late teens/early 20's. I am now a low functioning 43 yr old. I see myself as different from others.
I have an expressionless look with no emotion, I do see people as inanimate objects, I hardly speak but
I am able to hold a conversation. I even once asked a shrink once to declare me mentally incompetent
and he laughed and said that I had potential, I have been voluntarily institutionalized twice within the same year at Payne Whitney in NYC when I was 19, the first time they gave me prolixin which I had a
dystonic reaction to it, it felt like my head was going to snap off, I was staring at the ceiling and had to
be assisted to my room to get a shot of something that I don't remember in my thigh to counteract it.

Where would I go to be tested for autism? I heard that it's expensive but I need to have this done.
When I walk I notice that my head tilts slightly to the right and I have a tense neck and that my eyes
seldom make direct contact with either people or cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Where would I go to be tested for autism? I heard that it's expensive but I need to have this done.
When I walk I notice that my head tilts slightly to the right and I have a tense neck and that my eyes
seldom make direct contact with either people or cars.
Hun I'm sorry for what you're going thru but I'm thinking that if the docs thought you showed symptoms of autism they wouldv'e tested you for it--it's not like autism is a rare condition. Also, much of what you mentioned could be signs of autism but could be signs of your other conditions too. I guess the question is this: will there be a benefit to your life if you receive the dx for autism? Meds that would help you or programs that you could benefit from? If not, then it probably doesn't matter. Good luck to you.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 PM

19,200 posts, read 16,675,444 times
We used to call that "daydreaming."

I'm sure medical experts will want to label it as something new, though.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:45 AM

225 posts, read 344,467 times
I am sure you have a caseworker and a psychiatrist. Speak to them about this. Ask if your symptoms are consistent with autism and if it would make any difference to your dx. Yes, the tests are expensive, but in some cases, they are worth the money.

I went to my psych with the same question, and I was told that if I had autism, I was on the extremely high functioning spectrum. They said my symptoms were not "bad" enough to warrant a test, but if I wanted one and was willing to pay for it, I could certainly take one. I was also told that if I wanted the dx I could "self-diagnose," but that there wasn't anything that could be treated, and it was just sort of an answer to some of my questions. None of my symptoms were detrimental, they just sort of described my personality and social structure throughout my life. The physical and mental health issues fit my situation, but it didn't really solve or do anything.

I'd say, if you are concerned, ask your doctor or counselor. Have a good day!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
We used to call that "daydreaming."

I'm sure medical experts will want to label it as something new, though.
At times I was looking out of the window for hours on end, and I don't even live on an exciting block, it could be OCD. My father even once said that he was going to get me a room at Creedmoor with a window.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
This sounds more like what you are describing. Or it may just be the way you are- not every quirk needs medicating!

Dissociative Disorders

Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
I am sure you have a caseworker and a psychiatrist. Speak to them about this. Ask if your symptoms are consistent with autism and if it would make any difference to your dx. Yes, the tests are expensive, but in some cases, they are worth the money.

I went to my psych with the same question, and I was told that if I had autism, I was on the extremely high functioning spectrum. They said my symptoms were not "bad" enough to warrant a test, but if I wanted one and was willing to pay for it, I could certainly take one. I was also told that if I wanted the dx I could "self-diagnose," but that there wasn't anything that could be treated, and it was just sort of an answer to some of my questions. None of my symptoms were detrimental, they just sort of described my personality and social structure throughout my life. The physical and mental health issues fit my situation, but it didn't really solve or do anything.

I'd say, if you are concerned, ask your doctor or counselor. Have a good day!
My older sister insists that I am not autistic, but she isn't me and doesn't have the symptoms
that I have. I feel emotionless and the only thoughts going through my mind are from what I
have heard other people say to me in the past. I feel like I don't have a mind of my own.

One psychologist asked my sister once if I had any birth defects because I didn't speak in complete
sentences. Which is true, I speak in a monotone voice without any emotion at all. They are lying to
me when they say that I was born without any birth defects. After I was born the doctor told my
parents not to try again, lol. I was labeled "spaz" as a child, I would always be knocking over glasses
in a restaurant or dropping things on a floor. I even once walked into a lampost and got a big bruise
on my forehead.

I am not under psychiatric care at this time, do I need a referral from one to be tested for Autism?
The last therapist said that I belonged in a nursing home or in an adult home(blend in with the wall)
then another doctor said that he didn't know what he was talking about.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
This sounds more like what you are describing. Or it may just be the way you are- not every quirk needs medicating!

Dissociative Disorders
Thanks for the link, although I did have a traumatic childhood. My dad was very physically abusive
towards the family and my mom died when I was 13, but the worst part of it was watching my dad
hit my mom when she was undergoing chemo. But my sister and brother are highly functioning.
Where I have felt autistic/retarded for most of my adult life.

I know this doesn't mean that I am autistic, but I did score over 32.
Wired 9.12: Take The AQ Test

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM

429 posts, read 1,147,979 times
Call your county social services and tell them that you believe you're Autistic and would like to be tested.

If you're unemployed or make very little money, you can also call your local social security office to apply for benefits. That process will include an assessment. Social Security Online - Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool (BEST)

Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneee View Post
Call your county social services and tell them that you believe you're Autistic and would like to be tested.

If you're unemployed or make very little money, you can also call your local social security office to apply for benefits. That process will include an assessment. Social Security Online - Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool (BEST)
Thanks Anneee for the links. Some people accuse me of faking it but I am not.
Why would somebody choose to be a basket case which has been my state of living for a very long time.
I am positive that I was born with some type of brain damage which is a main reason for my low level of
functioning throughout my entire life. I had an MRI done on my brain once and nothing abnormal showed up.

Now I want to have one done on my neck as it's very rigid and tense. As a child I was called spaz and I was
always dropping and knocking over things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health