Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:25 AM

379 posts, read 644,556 times

Advertisements

Adderall - Anytime anyone is on a prescribed medication they should never never never take any over the counter medication unless they have talked to their physician. This includes Melatonin. There are many medications out there that contain over the counter medications in them. You could overdose without knowing.

ADHD - has been studied for 35 plus years. These people have much lower levels of the neurotransmitters Dopamine and Norepinephrine (75% less than the brain of a person without adhd). It is VERY REAL and tragic for those who have it. Medications like Ritalin, Adderall, foclin, etc have been studied more than antibiotics and are very safe in the hands of a knowledgable and responsible physician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
You couldn't be more wrong! You can believe what you want but when you have a child that can't sit still or stop fidgeting or goes at overdrive speed no matter what he tries, talk to me then. When he gets in trouble every day at school and tells you he really tried but just couldn't sit still or stop talking and he cries because he wants to be like everyone else. When that child can tell you he feels normal when he takes his medicine b/c he can do what he needs to do, you know that no matter what people like you think, you are doing the right thing for your child. Are there many cases where parents just give medicine and it's not really ADHD? Absolutely and those parents shouldn't have had kids if they don't want to deal with them. But we tried everything with our son and I cried so hard when the doctor told us he would need medication. He's doing great....the star of the basketball team, doing very well in school, has tons of friends. All the things that most kids with ADHD struggle with, he is succeeding.

Don't be so quick to rule it out as something you believe or don't believe. BTW, have you ever tried to get a young child to sit and watch a movie, let alone meditate???? I don't even want to do that.
Have you tried Omega 3 supplements? I used a flaxseed oil plus Omega 3 gummies with my sons and they just changed over a couple of days from hyper to calm - and are concentrating so much better at school. They now have no sleep problems, no lack of appetite, just normal - bouncy but not manic.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM

4 posts, read 20,885 times
Angry Your Crazy If U Medicate Ur Kids With That S#*?

everyone needs to stop medicating their children. kids these days are on all types of medications... Why dont you just go buy your child a bag of cocaine cause adderall and ritalin is the same thing. Look it up. Kids are going to grow up being junkies at 16 and addicted to everything. Learn how to be a parent and try some herbal remedies and some disicipline im a mother of 6 and all of my kids are hyper but i would never put them on them kind of meds that will screw them up for life. Doctors should lose their license for prescribing that **** to kids. All it is kiddie coke. Read some parenting books and learn how to deal with your children instead of medicating them with NARCOTICS THAT WILL MESS THEM UP FOR LIFE. Let me know how your children are doing when they are 16 i can bet my life they will be a strung out with LOTS medical and mental problems... Be good parents, not a parent who shoves a pill down their kids throat to make their lives easier learn to DEAL WITH IT ALL KIDS HAVE A HYPER SIDE TO THEM ITS YOUR JOB AS A PARENT TO LEARN TOLERATE OR DEAL WITH IT OR DONT HAVE ANY MORE KIDS

Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieleighbateman View Post
everyone needs to stop medicating their children. kids these days are on all types of medications... Why dont you just go buy your child a bag of cocaine cause adderall and ritalin is the same thing. Look it up. Kids are going to grow up being junkies at 16 and addicted to everything. Learn how to be a parent and try some herbal remedies and some disicipline im a mother of 6 and all of my kids are hyper but i would never put them on them kind of meds that will screw them up for life. Doctors should lose their license for prescribing that **** to kids. All it is kiddie coke. Read some parenting books and learn how to deal with your children instead of medicating them with NARCOTICS THAT WILL MESS THEM UP FOR LIFE. Let me know how your children are doing when they are 16 i can bet my life they will be a strung out with LOTS medical and mental problems... Be good parents, not a parent who shoves a pill down their kids throat to make their lives easier learn to DEAL WITH IT ALL KIDS HAVE A HYPER SIDE TO THEM ITS YOUR JOB AS A PARENT TO LEARN TOLERATE OR DEAL WITH IT OR DONT HAVE ANY MORE KIDS
Whatever. Yawn.

Benadryl works pretty well also and is very safe.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Whatever. Yawn.

Benadryl works pretty well also and is very safe.
I guess she joined just to post to a 3 year old thread.
She actually lives pretty close to me; a few towns over. lol

Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I guess she joined just to post to a 3 year old thread.
She actually lives pretty close to me; a few towns over. lol
Oh, one of those, lol. Well there's one in every neighborhood.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Have you tried Omega 3 supplements? I used a flaxseed oil plus Omega 3 gummies with my sons and they just changed over a couple of days from hyper to calm - and are concentrating so much better at school. They now have no sleep problems, no lack of appetite, just normal - bouncy but not manic.
Yeah but why not put your child on a NON-STIMULANT, NON-NARCOTIC, NON-ADDICTIVE medication?? There are lots of them out there such as Strattera. Colodine, or Doxapin or even LOTS of herbal remedies and certain sports such as karate (that teaches discipline and respect and could help out ALOT!!!!. It's bad enough that our children have to grow up in this sucky world with so much crime, drugs and craziness and by giving them this kind of medicine it will eventually lead to drug addictions, or heart problems, kidney failure. Did you do any research on the side effects addicting ADHD medications can have on a young child or teenager (even adults) bodies such as ADDERALL, CONCERTA, RITALIN ect??? Im not saying people who give this to their childern are necessarly bad parents i just feel as though they dont do enough research on all the bad stuff that can happen. Fortunaly i dont have to deal with any of that but if a doctor was trying to give one of my children a medication that could kill them or eventually ruin their life you better believe i would keep changing their doctor until i found one who would not put a childs life in danger by giving them that kind of medicine... It is the same thing as going and buying a bag of cocaine and mixing it in with your childs juice, but that is just my opinion its your child. I was just giving my opinion like everyone else does on this web site you just so happened to not like my opinion.. But hey, everyone raises their children differently i guess... At least look into a non-stimulant form of medication and if you already have then good for you but one more try cant hurt. and i hope no offense is taking by my concern for children and teenagers taking a medication that is addicting and causing harm to their precious hearts. A child is supposed to not sit still, and run and scream and go crazy at times. I know im 30 and they did not have this kind of medication out when i was a child. So what did parents do years ago when there was no access to this kind of crap?? They just delt with... Thats the joy of being a parent all the ups and downs, good times and bad. I just feel parents these days need to be more protective of there children (again that is my opinion)

Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
***Yeah but why not put your child on a NON-STIMULANT, NON-NARCOTIC, NON-ADDICTIVE medication?? There are lots of them out there such as Strattera. Colodine, or Doxapin or even LOTS of herbal remedies and certain sports such as karate (that teaches discipline and respect and could help out ALOT!!!!. It's bad enough that our children have to grow up in this sucky world with so much crime, drugs and craziness and by giving them this kind of medicine it will eventually lead to drug addictions, or heart problems, kidney failure. Did you do any research on the side effects addicting ADHD medications can have on a young child or teenager (even adults) bodies such as ADDERALL, CONCERTA, RITALIN ect??? Im not saying people who give this to their childern are necessarly bad parents i just feel as though they dont do enough research on all the bad stuff that can happen. Fortunaly i dont have to deal with any of that but if a doctor was trying to give one of my children a medication that could kill them or eventually ruin their life you better believe i would keep changing their doctor until i found one who would not put a childs life in danger by giving them that kind of medicine... It is the same thing as going and buying a bag of cocaine and mixing it in with your childs juice, but that is just my opinion its your child. I was just giving my opinion like everyone else does on this web site you just so happened to not like my opinion.. But hey, everyone raises their children differently i guess... At least look into a non-stimulant form of medication and if you already have then good for you but one more try cant hurt. and i hope no offense is taking by my concern for children and teenagers taking a medication that is addicting and causing harm to their precious hearts. A child is supposed to not sit still, and run and scream and go crazy at times. I know im 30 and they did not have this kind of medication out when i was a child. So what did parents do years ago when there was no access to this kind of crap?? They just delt with... Thats the joy of being a parent all the ups and downs, good times and bad. I just feel parents these days need to be more protective of there children (again that is my opinion)*** I dont think i know it all, i just know i know what is best for my children... Good luck austinsmom

Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 AM

41 posts, read 50,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't believe in ADHD or that it needs to be medicated. I think it is just a human condition that we all have, and that we just have to learn to concentrate, and for that I would recommend meditation. But I could be very wrong here.

What? are you serious? I am the first to agree that a lot of psych problems are the misdiagnosis of ******* syndrome but to deny that ADHD exists? Oh and the H stands for Hyperactive... so this disorder is not simply based on the lack of ability to focus. My older brother who is mentally handicapped was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5. Why? Well throwing desks at teachers and laying in front of traffic at school is no laughing matter. When my brother took his Adderall he was calm as could be. The drug is a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine which have been proven to increase brain activity by stimulating the release of norepinephrine and dopamine. These hormones are associated with behavior and focus. The drug also prevents these hormones from being quickly absorbed by the body thus increasing the ability to focus and sense of calm.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Default austins mom i was not offending ur parenting.

***Yeah but why not put your child on a NON-STIMULANT, NON-NARCOTIC, NON-ADDICTIVE medication?? There are lots of them out there such as Strattera. Colodine, or Doxapin or even LOTS of herbal remedies and certain sports such as karate (that teaches discipline and respect and could help out ALOT!!!!. It's bad enough that our children have to grow up in this sucky world with so much crime, drugs and craziness and by giving them this kind of medicine it will eventually lead to drug addictions, or heart problems, kidney failure. Did you do any research on the side effects addicting ADHD medications can have on a young child or teenager (even adults) bodies such as ADDERALL, CONCERTA, RITALIN ect??? Im not saying people who give this to their childern are necessarly bad parents i just feel as though they dont do enough research on all the bad stuff that can happen. Fortunaly i dont have to deal with any of that but if a doctor was trying to give one of my children a medication that could kill them or eventually ruin their life you better believe i would keep changing their doctor until i found one who would not put a childs life in danger by giving them that kind of medicine... It is the same thing as going and buying a bag of cocaine and mixing it in with your childs juice, but that is just my opinion its your child. I was just giving my opinion like everyone else does on this web site you just so happened to not like my opinion.. But hey, everyone raises their children differently i guess... At least look into a non-stimulant form of medication and if you already have then good for you but one more try cant hurt. and i hope no offense is taking by my concern for children and teenagers taking a medication that is addicting and causing harm to their precious hearts. A child is supposed to not sit still, and run and scream and go crazy at times. I know im 30 and they did not have this kind of medication out when i was a child. So what did parents do years ago when there was no access to this kind of crap?? They just delt with... Thats the joy of being a parent all the ups and downs, good times and bad. I just feel parents these days need to be more protective of there children (again that is my opinion)*** I dont think i know it all, i just know i know what is best for my children... Good luck austinsmom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health