Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times

Advertisements

I got a price quote for $1,600-$2,000. Is that on the high or low end?
This was from a psychologist in the Forest Hills area of Queens, NY. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
What kind of evaluation? Did you check with your state's Department of Health and Human Services under people with disabilities? In order to get services for my sister from DHHS, they had to evaluate her and it was all free since it's federally funded. She would then be assigned a case worker. I think you should check with NY DHHS first. That just seems like a lot of money.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the response. I went to that website and I couldn't find anything about an evaluation for mental retardation.
I will contact NY DHHS and ask them, thanks. My sister told me that to be diagnosed mentally retarded you have to have poor social skills and a low IQ.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM

I was in Maryland doing this but I went through DHHS. I had to fill out some forms concerning my sister, then a case worker contacted me and asked if we needed evaluations. Low IQ, poor social skills, ability to function/live on their own is what they review to diagnose them. She did a sight visit to our home and interviewed her. The more severe they are the more services they qualify for.
Call and talk to someone and start the paperwork b/c it is a long process. I think after I sent the paperwork it took them 2 or 3 months to contact me. But call someone b/c I really don't think you have to pay out of pocket for evaluations. If they do charge a fee it's probably very nominal, not $2000.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Thanks for the response. I went to that website and I couldn't find anything about an evaluation for mental retardation.
I will contact NY DHHS and ask them, thanks. My sister told me that to be diagnosed mentally retarded you have to have poor social skills and a low IQ.

Your local community mental health center should be able to point you in some sort of useful direction. They can probably do the eval themselves. But if this is an adult, chances are the eval was already done through the school district at some point, unless the adult was out of school by the end of the 1970s. $2,000 is too much to pay if all you need is a copy of the school testing records!

You sister was half-right. To count as mentally retarded you have to have an IQ of 70 or lower. But you can have a very low IQ and good social skills; to qualify for services for the developmentally disabled in my own state you have to have at least 2 serious areas of functional problems, l.ike self-care, the capacity to be economically self-sufficient, communication with others, things like that.

You can have a high IQ and still qualify for services for the developmentally disabled. Autism with a high IQ can leave a person unable to function in society. Fetal alcohol syndrome can leave you apparently normal except for an inability to distinguish right and wrong. There are all kinds of possibilities...

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have to do something soon because my dad who I live with is in declining
health at 84. I know for a fact that I am not "normal." By the way I dress, talk, etc. I have a very
limited vocabulary and I slur and stutter. So I rather stay mute then say something in public.

Pretty sad that while I was on the bus today going to a consultative examination for social security
disability I compared myself to everybody else as well as the bus driver and I know that I am different.

I am on one of the mta bus operator lists and it's set to expire on August 12th. I have serious doubts
whether or not I could pass the training let alone deal with the public. I have trouble holding a conversation and I don't speak in complete sentences.

The last therapist that I saw told me that I was wasting my money, that I should be either in an adult
home or in a nursing home. I am aware of the long waiting lists and the great expense. I have to take
care of my dad who has hypertension, arthritis, gout, but is still very sharp mentally.

I am the complete opposite, no physical problems, just mentally out of it.

I will contact DHHS.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have to do something soon because my dad who I live with is in declining
health at 84. I know for a fact that I am not "normal." By the way I dress, talk, etc. I have a very
limited vocabulary and I slur and stutter. So I rather stay mute then say something in public.

Pretty sad that while I was on the bus today going to a consultative examination for social security
disability I compared myself to everybody else as well as the bus driver and I know that I am different.

I am on one of the mta bus operator lists and it's set to expire on August 12th. I have serious doubts
whether or not I could pass the training let alone deal with the public. I have trouble holding a conversation and I don't speak in complete sentences.

The last therapist that I saw told me that I was wasting my money, that I should be either in an adult
home or in a nursing home. I am aware of the long waiting lists and the great expense. I have to take
care of my dad who has hypertension, arthritis, gout, but is still very sharp mentally.

I am the complete opposite, no physical problems, just mentally out of it.

I will contact DHHS.
You wrote a clear, cohesive post without any misspellings, and with proper use of punctuation--which maybe a third of the people who post on CD cannot do--yet you think you are mentally retarded?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You wrote a clear, cohesive post without any misspellings, and with proper use of punctuation--which maybe a third of the people who post on CD cannot do--yet you think you are mentally retarded?
I agree. You may just have trouble communicating verbally, which a lot of people do. You may just need to see a speech therapist. DHHS may be able to help with that as well.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
....You sister was half-right. To count as mentally retarded you have to have an IQ of 70 or lower. But you can have a very low IQ and good social skills; to qualify for services for the developmentally disabled in my own state you have to have at least 2 serious areas of functional problems, l.ike self-care, the capacity to be economically self-sufficient, communication with others, things like that...
Note that these criteria will most likely change in several weeks, with the publication of the DSM-V in May, 2013. The IQ requirements are probably going to be removed. There will be a greater focus on the individuals's day-to-day functioning.

Last edited by ToucheGA; 03-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: silly typos

Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM

I am considering a few sessions in a hyperbaric chamber, I am running out of options.
I know that is experimental, but worth taking a shot at. I know it may sound strange, but I feel
like I have no mind, that the only part of my brain that is working is the part that controls my breathing
hunger and thirst.

I did have a near drowning incident in a swimming pool in Spain when I was 13 yrs old.
I was pushed into the deep end of the poo and I struggled to come back up to the surface, when I struggled to get out I had a throbbing headache and I felt dizzy. They had me rest on a towel but I never lost consciousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health