Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 32,057 times

Advertisements

Erm, I am 20 and having a hard time caring about my life or myself. While other 20 somethins are having a life, going to school, dating, having friends, working, ect..I am in the house on the computer 24-7 reading citydata forums for the past 2 years. Nothing compels to leave my bed other to **** and eat other that I won't do anything. Shouldn't I care more more about my life? I mean the dating, having friends, and having a life doesn't bother me as much but I'm confused that I have no interest in working or school. Nah, I shouldn't say that I DO have an interest in at least going back to school but I'm afraid that I will drop out again..wasting money. I already owe money to University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for dropping out at 18. I think it was about $4,000 or something don't know for sure. Well I did sign up for community college but terrified. I don't think I have the intellectual ability nor drive to get a degree. Hell, I'm surprised I finished highschool with how little I turned in work. *Sigh* I don't know what I should be doing right now. Not much of anything interests me. Was volunteering for awhile got bored of that real quick. Looking for a job didn't work out too well either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,516 times
Have you been evaluated for depression? If not, please do so. You would be amazed at the difference that therapy and possibly medication can make in your life. Please check it out....pretty please?

Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Sophietuck:

Do these things in the order indicated

1) Go to a doctor and have a complete physical. It would help to discover if you have a poorly working thyroid gland, if you're blood sugar is totally out of whack, if your have a heart problem, if you're anemic, iron deficient, have hidden but internal bleeding, Lyme disease etc. All these things and many others can make you exhausted and enveloped in brain fog so to speak.

2) If it turns out that you are OK physically then you go see a psychiatrist. Not a therapist because you want someone who can prescribe meds if needed. You talk to that person and see if they think you have
depression or such and if maybe medication/and/or therapy can help you.

If you're twenty and your food, heating, electric, clothes, internet bills are being paid, then you're likely living at home and hopefully still on your parents' insurance. If you're not on insurance then Planned Parenthood or other programs can offer very inexpensive exams .

3) You take what steps you can now to start getting your life back on track. What do you do now around the house ? Do you cook, clean, wash, shovel, etc. Avoidant personality disorder, which you discuss in another thread, does not keep you from doing any of those things.

If the answer you do absolutely nothing over the course of a day, them maybe you can start doing something. Who is paying your college loan ? What you can't do is to continue on the way your are. Mom and Dad won't live forever or maybe won't put up with you contributing nothing to the workings of the house forever. At some point you have to take care of yourself.

What you also can't do is play the " what's wrong with me" game forever. Internet forums are one thing, actually getting help is another. In your case, you need help of some sort. If you're still here in a couple of weeks, putting up more posts but not taking any forward steps to make your life better , then that's narcissist behavior. In that case you want attention, but not help.That's a waste of everyone's time . Help has to come from you. Get started tomorrow. Good luck

Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I agree with the others about a physical and seeing a psychiatrist. Do you have a family doctor? While the primary care doc can give antidepressants its usually better to see a psychiatrist. Has your family encouraged you to get to a doctor? How long have you felt this way? Did something change in your life that contributed to feeling this way? What kind of volunteer work were you doing and what made you become bored with it? How's your appetite, are you taking vitamins? Have you tried taking supplements or herbs of any kind? You say you aren't really interested in anything now. Did you once have interests and hobbies of some kind? Do you sleep a lot and still feel tired when you get up? Depression can really suck the life out of a person, its not uncommon to lose interest in hobbies and feel tired and at loose ends. What is your typical day like? Ya, I know I ask a lot of questions but it helps to understand you better.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM

@ todd00 1. No. 2. No. 3. Ever since middle school. 4. None that I can think of no. 5. Habitat for Humanity and helping around nursing home. It was different that what I thought it would be so I got bored and left after noticing them of course. 6. My appetite is pretty poor I guess. I don't eat breakfast and snack all through the evening on junk food. No not taking vitamins. 7.No. 8. Yeah. Mostly reading and writing terrible stories in middleschool & beginning of highschool. My interests were reading Wikipedia articles, trying to learn German and or French, reading, cartoons, comicbooks, trying to learn to code, running, lectures on youtube, improving my math skills, ect. 9. Yes I sleep alot my longest was 22 hours for 2 weeks but my average is 10-12 hrs. 10. My typical day is waking up at noon, playing around on the computer. Snacking on junkfood and waiting for dinner. I'd sleep some more until forced to wake up. Play on the computer some more Then stay up all day until I fall alseep.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Sophietuck:

Do these things in the order indicated

1) Go to a doctor and have a complete physical. It would help to discover if you have a poorly working thyroid gland, if you're blood sugar is totally out of whack, if your have a heart problem, if you're anemic, iron deficient, have hidden but internal bleeding, Lyme disease etc. All these things and many others can make you exhausted and enveloped in brain fog so to speak.

2) If it turns out that you are OK physically then you go see a psychiatrist. Not a therapist because you want someone who can prescribe meds if needed. You talk to that person and see if they think you have
depression or such and if maybe medication/and/or therapy can help you.

If you're twenty and your food, heating, electric, clothes, internet bills are being paid, then you're likely living at home and hopefully still on your parents' insurance. If you're not on insurance then Planned Parenthood or other programs can offer very inexpensive exams .

3) You take what steps you can now to start getting your life back on track. What do you do now around the house ? Do you cook, clean, wash, shovel, etc. Avoidant personality disorder, which you discuss in another thread, does not keep you from doing any of those things.

If the answer you do absolutely nothing over the course of a day, them maybe you can start doing something. Who is paying your college loan ? What you can't do is to continue on the way your are. Mom and Dad won't live forever or maybe won't put up with you contributing nothing to the workings of the house forever. At some point you have to take care of yourself.

What you also can't do is play the " what's wrong with me" game forever. Internet forums are one thing, actually getting help is another. In your case, you need help of some sort. If you're still here in a couple of weeks, putting up more posts but not taking any forward steps to make your life better , then that's narcissist behavior. In that case you want attention, but not help.That's a waste of everyone's time . Help has to come from you. Get started tomorrow. Good luck
Around the house I help out with a bit of everything with some limits because my father likes to control everything around the house because he does everything better and doesn't like us screwing things up. No one is paying for my college loan they can't afford to send me to school nor pay for it so financial aid I suppose. yes, I know they won't live forever and have to take care of myself. They should of kicked me out when I turned 18 but here I am now. What I am afraid of is that I won't be able to live independently. They could kick me out now and I'd be living in the park for years until I get myself to actually do anything. I'd be afraid to even talk to anyone for help. I'd be dead if it weren't for them or would have killed myself. I don't get the narcissistic thing but attention is something I haven't got much of that is for sure. lol As for seeing someone I'm going to this school for this anxiety lab thingy maybe that will help.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Have you been evaluated for depression? If not, please do so. You would be amazed at the difference that therapy and possibly medication can make in your life. Please check it out....pretty please?
No, have not ma'am. I suspected it quite awhile now but my parents just havel. The only reason I haven't gone was because I was afraid too. Yeah I should go.. I do have a bit of anger issues so I keep myself inside and quiet cuz being around people and makes me seriously upset, anxious, and angry.

Last edited by sophietuck; 03-12-2013 at 10:29 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 PM

As for that other thread I made I was kidding. I guess my common sense flew out that window when I posted that. My family says crap like that all the time and no one ever seriously hurt anyone. as for hitting I got hit not beat (exaggerated on that) with belts, cords, pan, got stuff thrown at, yelled at, made to sit quietly in front of the TV and got called derogatory words and other things just like my mother did and just like my father did when they got out of line. No harm by it. Guess I got it from them. It's a good thing they closed the thread thank you moderators. It was a stupid angry fueled post.

Last edited by sophietuck; 03-12-2013 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: keep making stupid errors

Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
You're right Sophietuck, you wont be able to live independently at this point in time.. You have no skills to do so. However, that is not a permanent condition. It's temporary. And you can rectify the situation as soon as you make the effort to do so. But it has to come from you.

Right now you're playing a little game. It's called the " Yes, but" game. To every suggestion, you've got an excuse. " yes, Id like to ,--- but".

Ask your parents if you're covered by their insurance. If they have health insurance, they can add you to a policy until the age of 26. That they have no money is not an answer to your problem. Call Planned Parenthood. They do a gazillion things for men and women besides offer birth control. .You can get all kinds of screening like thyroid, a full regular physical, etc. They'll work with you on cost. It's cheap.
Check also for free or walk in clinics.

" Anxiety lab thingy"- What the heck is that- come on, be serious. You need your own doctor, your own individual diagnosis and your own treatment. "Maybe it will help" is not an answer, you don't know what if anything is wrong , first you need to know what the problem is. This lab thing is an excuse.

" I'm afraid" is not an answer, it's an excuse. If you don't want to go alone, bring your mom, a sibling, etc. If you were able to get yourself to volunteer work,able to go to high school, able to get to some college classes, then you can get yourself out of the house.

Remember, Google is your friend. Put all this time you spend on the internet to good use. Start searching for the help you need, the low or no cost help you need.

So maybe tomorrow you could research and make some appointments. But to keep coming on this board with " I don't do anything" ", so on and so forth, multiple times, is not beneficial to you. You have to help yourself. It has to come from within you. You made the first step by putting forth the fact that you know you something is not quite right. Now you need to take step two . You can do it.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 PM

Wow. You are one tough cookie willow wind had me crying and everything. I know I make excuses I already know that..and you know what? I'm probably going to make plenty more excuses not to go or do anything you suggested, Until I actually force myself to actually do something about it Im gonna stay this way ofcourse. So thanks for the advice. Now helping myself is something i'm not accustomed toot or like to cuz frankly I hate myself..but for my parents sake I could at least go to that mental behavioral clinic for an evaluation. I need to build something of a life and move then waste away somewhere..and cuz u guys took the time to answer this. So tomorrow I'm going and gonna post about my experience whether or not anyone cares.

Last edited by sophietuck; 03-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health