Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 PM

353 posts, read 580,786 times

Advertisements

Avoid everybody that are bringing you down. Even if those people are not judging you. Avoid people that brag. Stop looking through Facebook, etc etc...
Focus on your family. You do not need to be under a lot of pressure trying to impress everyone.Why would you want to impress someone who does not really matter? Who cares what everyone else has? They might lose tomorrow, you never know.
Be grateful for what you have. Set goals, team up with your hubby and remember, you are still young and have your entire life ahead of you. If you two have made it though so far, you have the most important thing- LOVE. Enjoy it. And that is a LOT to be jealous of. Some people would kill for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
Does anyone else go through this?
My recommendation is to make a list of all the positives in your life:

1. You have a secure teaching job

2. Your health

3. Your husband's health

4. the ability to live with family while putting hubby through school

5. supportive family

6. etc.

7. etc.

Focus upon those.

Use an "I" statement with friends/family who keep asking when you'll buy a house, why you haven't started a family...etc.

" I feel hurt when you keep reminding me that I haven't started a family or bought a home and I would like you to stop. Thank you."

Then if they refuse, find some new friends!

Or perhaps you just perceive that you are being judged. Those folks probably have plenty of their own personal issues of which you aren't even aware. From afar, they may LOOK like they have it together. Yet many of them are up to their eyeballs in credit card debt to decorate home, house payments, 2nd or 3rd mortgages, property taxes, insurance, etc.

Think positive! You have a supportive family who in the future may be likewise supportive when you & hubby do start a family.

When you start that IF ONLY thinking (If only I had trained for a different career... If only I had married a rich guy... If only...If only) give yourself a signal to STOP that defeatist thinking.

Also, perhaps it's not so black & white, not such a dichotomy as live with parents/buy own home. Perhaps you could rent your own small place on your teacher's salary, if you want private space.

Best of luck to you, NJ2!

Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
the problem with comparing, is that its very easy to do, i do it sometimes. the thing is, once you got up to that level of whoever you are comparing with, now you will compare with even higher folks, since by that time, your husband and your jobs are better, and your co workers now might have a even bigger house, and so on. it never ends, the person has to change the way they think.
This is so very very true. I've had the same issues of comparing myself to others and feeling I hadn't accomplished things I had always wanted for my life. Then I got into the medical field and became exposed daily to people facing terrible physically/mentally traumatic life-altering situations, sexual abuse/exploitation, disabled babies, drug abuse, cancer, etc ... and I began to realize how VERY fortunate I am for my current health and circumstances, and very grateful. Every day is a gift especially if you have your health. I think this helped me to change my perspective, and also with age (I'm in my 50s).

As someone else said, there will always be people better off than you and others worse off than you. Perhaps some counseling may help, but you are not alone in your feelings. Others have been there too. Best of wishes to you and your future.

Last edited by smpliving; 03-19-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,311 times
to the OP, if you love your husband and he loves you, i think that in itself is wealth. so many people try to find true love and fail. I personally know some folks who make good money, have a nice house and car, only to argue and divorce with their spouse. I'm pretty sure some folks would love to trade their wealth for true love any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health