Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:13 PM

112 posts, read 180,986 times

Advertisements

What do you do when you feel your life is a failure and all you can do is compare yourself to your friends and family?

My biggest problem is that I'm 36 and not where I thought my life would be. I thought I'd own a home and maybe have a child and just be living a happy life.

Instead, my husband and I have to live with my family because even though I'm a teacher, it's just not enough to survive here in NJ. My husband immigrated from Europe seven years ago and we didn't anticipate all the difficulties he would have with finding a job. He had a job he was bullied out of and then he couldn't find anything for three years. Now he's going back to school to become a counselor, which is what he did in his country, but that will take time. I don't know when we'll ever have enough to be able to buy a home or even a condo. All we do is save as much as we can. Forget about even starting a family when we are not stable.

It makes me really sad that everyone else in my life either has children, their own home, or both. I can't help feeling like a loser and always compare myself to them. I don't want to go out with anyone or see anyone because I just feel like they are judging me.

I always wonder what would've happened if I had done things differently. Maybe I should've studied something else, maybe I should've married someone else, maybe I should move to another state. These thoughts are constant in my life and I feel they are driving me crazy.

Does anyone else go through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I think a lot of this that you describe is a state of mind. My life is anything but perfect, but I never compare myself with others. Why would I? I am my own person, an individual, and there is no one else like me, good or bad. I am in my late 50's and don't own a home and likely never will, but I can live with that. There are things about my life that I feel is better than some people I know, and some ways that are worse, that is just how it is. Try to concentrate on bettering yourself and your life in whatever way you can and not comparing, it will not serve you well to do so.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 03-17-2013 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Well I grew up with the dad working and the mom stayed home and did all the work around the house. And so did the lady I married...

But when we got married, times had changed and both people had to work to survive. BUT we both still expected the wife to do everything around the house! (Both of us!)

Well that of course did not work. We had to learn we could not possibly live like we were raised.

These days it is even worse. Jobs are hard to come by and even when both married people are working, it is not always possible to make ends meet.

Anyway my advice would be to say "To heck with all this, I want kids and I am going to have them anyway!" Then whatever happens, happens!

That does not work for a house, but there are other areas of the country with a lower cost of living.

Be creative with your thinking. Some rural farm areas need live-in caretakers to help with all the animals. The housing is free in exchange for work. The kids in those communities need teachers. People need counseling. There are colleges nearby.

Also I read a book recently about immigrants moving to America - how nasty they were treated on the East Coast. Sounds like nothing has changed? Anyway the rest of the country is not like that. Some areas can be quite friendly, especially smaller towns.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
The best way to stop comparing yourself to others is to remind yourself that you really don't know everything about them.

And nothing is more depressing than unmet expectations.
Stop living some blueprint you have in your head and enjoy what each day has to bring.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
I used to compare myself/my life to others and felt like a failure. I finally decided to accept myself for who I am and to be comfortable with who I am. Life is not always greener on 'the other side' of the fence and as Stan4 wrote: we don't know what is really going on in other's lives.

Other people may appear to have it better than we do; but that's mainly just an illusion we create in our own mind.

It's who we are on the inside that's truly important, not what we own.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
you feel your life is a failure
I just feel like they are judging me.

By the standards you set for yourself you have failed.

Yes, people are judging you.

But today is the first day of the rest of your life. Life is a series of battles and you lost a battle. The objective is to win the war.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think a lot of this that you describe is a state of mind. My life is anything but perfect, but I never compare myself with others. Why would I? I am my own person, an individual, and there is no one else like me, good or bad. I am in my late 50's and don't own a home and likely never will, but I can live with that. There are things about my life that I feel is better than some people I know, and some ways that are worse, that is just how it is. Try to concentrate on bettering yourself and your life in whatever way you can and not comparing, it will not serve you well to do so.
My life is anything but perfect, but I always compare myself with others. Why do I? I am my own person, an individual, and there is no one else like me, good or bad. I am in my early 50's and I own a home and likely always will and I can live with that. There are things about my life that I feel is better than some people I know, and some ways that are worse, that is just how it is. Try to concentrate on bettering yourself and your life in whatever way you can and don't worry about comparing - in fact use comparison as a tool, it will serve you well to do so.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,311 times
1. stop camparing yourself to others. there are many people that have a better situation than you, and there are more that are worse off than you.

2. if it costs too much in NJ (which i know it must be true) you can always move to a cheaper place.

3. if you have kids, your kids counsins (your siblings kids) will see who has money, house, etc, and that situation will get even worse if you still compare yourself to others.

for myself, all my family is in boston, I miss it there, but i moved to seattle because i can survive here, much much easier. even though i still cant adapt here, and miss my family, not struggling and living in a bigger place is definately worth it.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM

112 posts, read 180,986 times
Thanks for all the advice.

It's not easy for me to just ignore when it's in my face all the time. I get family and friends asking when are you going to have kids you're so old. When are you going to buy a house and etc. I feel for this reason I need to move away from everyone and start a new life, but I've been searching for jobs in different states without much luck. I"m hoping things can change within the near future.

I know how so many people in my life have what they have... most of it was given to them. They either married someone with money or they already came from a family with money where their parents set them up with everything and I wasn't so lucky. I'm happy they are happy, but it would be nice to have some happiness too and feel content in life.

My husband says I should go see some type of therapist that can maybe help me change my way of thinking.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post

I know how so many people in my life have what they have... most of it was given to them. They either married someone with money or they already came from a family with money where their parents set them up with everything and I wasn't so lucky. I'm happy they are happy, but it would be nice to have some happiness too and feel content in life.

and how about people that you know that didnt have everything given to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health