Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 PM

12 posts, read 17,650 times

Advertisements

She was drunk when she told me but don't know whether to believe her. She confessed that my father raped when she was little along with my older sister. They beat her spit on her saying how they wished they never had her. And then told her how he don't give a crap about her kids. And when she was 7 months pregnant at 15 my father beat her because my father's brother said she had a guy upstairs. When she was 16 she started selling herself to help my mother because she was so much in debt. Then she used to cut heavily and almost killed herself until her dead boyfriends mother found her bleeding in her tub. And some other crazy stuff. I am like woah. I don't know what to say or whether to believe her. I mean they used to beat us when we got out of line. And when angry told us he wished he never had us but I didn't think he would rape anyone. Along with this my mother has diabetes didn't tell anyone. I don't really know anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM

12 posts, read 17,650 times
I know it's wrong to put her busy online like this but that's just some heavy stuff..and she was drunk when she told me but I don't see how she would lie about anything even if they are at odds. what am I suppose to think to that? Just so horrible..

Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Well those things do happen. And it can be quite traumatic to say the least. People don't like to discuss it.

You may want to take her to a quiet park or quiet setting and mention what she told you (when she has not been drinking). Ask if she wants to talk about it or would rather not talk about it.

If she does not want to talk about it, never mention it again unless she brings it up first.

If she talks about it, just listen and be as supportive as possible.

Some people have "panic attacks" when talking about these things. You might want to read about that - search google. But basically the person is "overstimulated" - too much to handle/think about at once. If that happens the best thing to do is be quiet, have her lay down in a dark quiet room. No sound, no light, no movement. No "stimulation". It can take several hours for a person to come out of that.

So far as "doing anything about this" or telling anyone else. Leave that totally up to her.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I think you should believe her. I think you and she should seek professional help. If there is a domestic violence center in your area they likely offer counseling, and usually free.

Once you get some professional help ask them what you should do regarding any sort of legal help. But, first and foremost get help for the mixed up feelings this type situation has left inside both you and your sister.

You are a strong person for being there and listening to her. Get yourself someone to talk to in your local area right away. Perhaps then she will follow your lead and get help too.
Good luck on this.
I'm posting some links below that I hope will help and encourage you to seek more websites on the net.

Support a friend or family member experiencing domestic violence
Self-Care for Friends and Family Members | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
Tips for Friends & Family of Survivors | Pandora's Project

Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
That is a lot to just make up and the fact that she told you when she was drunk makes me think she was telling you the truth. Does she have any marks on her arms from cutting? I don't think it should be swept under the rug. Your sister need some help with this. Maybe you can approach her at some point and tell her what she said and suggest she seeks some therapy to help her to deal with this. Cutting on herself and selling her body are 2 things you often see with women that were abused like that as children.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
That is a lot to just make up and the fact that she told you when she was drunk makes me think she was telling you the truth. Does she have any marks on her arms from cutting? I don't think it should be swept under the rug. Your sister need some help with this. Maybe you can approach her at some point and tell her what she said and suggest she seeks some therapy to help her to deal with this. Cutting on herself and selling her body are 2 things you often see with women that were abused like that as children.
And the next progression is alcoholic drinking, drug addiction, and maybe suicide. This is serious stuff.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,775 times
The fact that she was pregnant at 15 is also not a surprise for someone that was abused. It is much more likely that she is telling the truth, than making this up.

Have you ever been put under anesthesia? You have no filter. That's what alcohol can be like for someone that's drunk enough.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I think she's telling the truth.I would believe my sister.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I think you should talk to her when she's sober. Find a quiet, private place and let her get it out of her system. You might also want to talk to her older sister as well and figure out just how much of this is the actual truth. Unfortunately, it's possible that it's ALL true.

That kind of thing happened in my family as well, unfortunately, 2 out of 3 of my sisters are also ummm "truth stretchers" as well, so without someone else to back up the story, it can be difficult to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health