Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 20 Million Americans are addicted to drugs or alcohol.
Seems lower than that. 1 10.00%
Seems higher than that. 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 AM

104 posts, read 82,975 times

Advertisements

I'm addicted to adderall yet no one, not my family, not my friends, anyone, except a few anonymous people on the internet (you guys) knows it. I'm not included in that statistic on the OP. I'm sure there are many like me, who are addicted to prescription medicine, and no one knows about it except for them. I've been trying to quit taking these pills for a while now. I think the only way I'll be able to stop is by telling my doctor I've been abusing them, and having him pull my prescription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
I'm addicted to adderall yet no one, not my family, not my friends, anyone, except a few anonymous people on the internet (you guys) knows it. I'm not included in that statistic on the OP. I'm sure there are many like me, who are addicted to prescription medicine, and no one knows about it except for them. I've been trying to quit taking these pills for a while now. I think the only way I'll be able to stop is by telling my doctor I've been abusing them, and having him pull my prescription.
If your doctor is a trustworthy, responsible, and professional man, who takes his medical practice seriously, he wouldn't simply pull the prescription. He'd wean you off of it, or he would help you seek either inpatient or outpatient rehab. Also, if you're abusing your own prescription, then your doctor already knows, since he's the one who would be prescribing more and more of it as you continue to abuse it.

If you're taking it only as directed, you're not abusing it, and you probably have a dependency on it, rather than an addiction to it.

If you're taking it more often, or taking higher doses than you should be taking, then you could very well be addicted but there's no way your doctor would be able to prescribe more of it than he feels you need, without - well - knowing that he's prescribing more than he feels you need. The only way he would -not- be aware of this, is if you're getting the "extra" adderall from somewhere else, such as the black market, or "doctor hopping."

So either he's not a responsible doctor and you need to find a new one and explain EXACTLY what the situation is (including why you're taking adderall in the first place), OR he is one, and you might not be addicted, but rather, dependent, in which case you can be weaned off of it if you're not satisfied that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing anymore.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 AM

104 posts, read 82,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If your doctor is a trustworthy, responsible, and professional man, who takes his medical practice seriously, he wouldn't simply pull the prescription. He'd wean you off of it, or he would help you seek either inpatient or outpatient rehab. Also, if you're abusing your own prescription, then your doctor already knows, since he's the one who would be prescribing more and more of it as you continue to abuse it.

If you're taking it only as directed, you're not abusing it, and you probably have a dependency on it, rather than an addiction to it.

If you're taking it more often, or taking higher doses than you should be taking, then you could very well be addicted but there's no way your doctor would be able to prescribe more of it than he feels you need, without - well - knowing that he's prescribing more than he feels you need. The only way he would -not- be aware of this, is if you're getting the "extra" adderall from somewhere else, such as the black market, or "doctor hopping."

So either he's not a responsible doctor and you need to find a new one and explain EXACTLY what the situation is (including why you're taking adderall in the first place), OR he is one, and you might not be addicted, but rather, dependent, in which case you can be weaned off of it if you're not satisfied that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing anymore.
Well when I run out, I just suffer through the last two weeks without it. I've gone two months without it, then started back up again when the stress of working 60-80 hours a week called for the need of that special mind steroid... I can do without it, I know I can. And I feel fine (after getting over the first week of the horrible come down) but I always come back to it, and I abuse the hell out of it, especially on those days where I'm stuck working 18 hour shifts.

I don't think I really have ADHD anyway, I've always gotten good enough grades without adderall. I do feel as though there is some emotional baggage here, or depression, and it all goes away while on adderall which is why I like it so much, but adderall really only makes things worse. Plus, I think I am doing things to my body that I will regret in a few years.

The only reason why I started on adderall was because I had trouble concentrating on my school work, but I also work full time and by the time I get to my classes and my homework, I was pretty exhausted. Adderall gave me that extra oomph to get things done. I think better time management, and better diet is the cure for most peoples "ADHD". Also stress management. I think adderall is overly prescribed and a quick fix to a lot of parents problems, and the problems of adults who live in a high paced, competitive world.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
Well when I run out, I just suffer through the last two weeks without it. I've gone two months without it, then started back up again when the stress of working 60-80 hours a week called for the need of that special mind steroid... I can do without it, I know I can. And I feel fine (after getting over the first week of the horrible come down) but I always come back to it, and I abuse the hell out of it, especially on those days where I'm stuck working 18 hour shifts.

I don't think I really have ADHD anyway, I've always gotten good enough grades without adderall. I do feel as though there is some emotional baggage here, or depression, and it all goes away while on adderall which is why I like it so much, but adderall really only makes things worse. Plus, I think I am doing things to my body that I will regret in a few years.

The only reason why I started on adderall was because I had trouble concentrating on my school work, but I also work full time and by the time I get to my classes and my homework, I was pretty exhausted. Adderall gave me that extra oomph to get things done. I think better time management, and better diet is the cure for most peoples "ADHD". Also stress management. I think adderall is overly prescribed and a quick fix to a lot of parents problems, and the problems of adults who live in a high paced, competitive world.

Why are you running out of it before the month is over?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One out of 14 people?, figure three or four of those people are under 18.
Maybe 7% is accurate, or 10% of adults.

I don't know. What do other reputable sources provide in terms or percent of people?

Also, what does "addicted to drugs or alcohol" mean? Daily coffee? Daily wine, one glass - is that an addiction?
This.

These were all of the points I would have brought up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Please try to respond without ripping into MSNBC.
Ok, but I will have to rip the question in the first place.

In my opinion, there's no such thing as addicted to alcohol. Addiction is a made-up medical/treatment term. Either you're alcoholic or you're not. Either you're a hard drinker or you're not.

Alcohol used to be a fairly socially acceptable food/recreational libation, and now it has a huge stigma attached to it. Not so with meth, cocaine, and weed, huh?

What constitutes a social cocaine snorter? An 8-ball a week? Is that acceptable? How much weed is acceptable without jumping off the addiction cliff?

I know what socially unacceptable looks like with regards to alcohol.

You cannot cannot cannot just lump alcoholism together with drug addiction. They are two different species.

Here's my opinion on drugs and take it for what it's worth; anybody can be a drug addict. Take enough drugs for long enough and you're addicted. Stop for long enough and you're cured. Maybe perhaps, some cross the line and become real addicts who can never fully recover... in the sense that they ruin their ability to reach a "higher" state of consciousness with ordinary mundane living. Now, the other side of that opinion; not just anybody can/will become an alcoholic. You can't drink yourself alcoholic. You're either alky or you're not. Some hard-drinkers are teetering on alcoholism, but given a strictly strong enough reason, can moderate or abstain... if they absolutely have to. The alky can do neither until fully recovered with some process that recovers alcoholics. Another subject for another thread.

Stats I've heard say that about 10% of the population are potential alkies and another 10% or so are potential hard drinkers. Find your own stats for the addict and I'll believe you. This stat says that about 80% of us don't need to worry about booze and can drink freely!

Cheers!

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-14-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 01:16 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Counting prescription drugs I would agree.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times
IMO...it is much much higher than only 7% of our population...probably more like 25 to 50% or more.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
I didn't vote in the poll even though I saw it before it closed, because I just don't know how many Americans, or what percent of Americans, are addicted to drugs or alcohol. How can any of us know, unless we're privy to whatever statistics are kept on the subject?

Going by our own personal observations of family members, friends, co-workers, and neighbors really doesn't get us anywhere, for three reasons. First, the sample is too small. Second, social groups tend to self-select as heavy drinkers chose other heavy drinkers for friends so that it feels "normal" to drink heavily, or use drugs, ect. Likewise, the culture of some families encourages or discourages alcohol and/or drug use. Third, as already mentioned here, we don't necessariy know if a co-worker or neighbor, or even a family member who doesn't live in our household, is an addict.

So how would any of us know? To poster 'M' (above): you may well be right, but please tell me more about what your opinion is based on.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Counting prescription drugs I would agree.
I do not see how they can be held separate.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:35 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Waaay higher just alcohol alone is more than that!

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcohol more than 30% of the US population meets the criteria for alcoholism or alcohol abuse

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

Add prescription drug addiction,The biggest drug cartel in the nation is our AMA THANKS TO ALL THE DRUG PUSHING DOCTORS!

Then on top of all of those,add the illegal drug users!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health