Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 PM

134 posts, read 343,888 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if it'd be better to ask this here or on the relationship forum, but I'm guessing I'll get more educated answers here. Anyway, I met a girl who seemed very zany and quirky in a good way. She pretty matter of factly told me she's been diagnosed as bipolar 1.

How cautious should I be with this. I'm not a perfect person myself (aspergers), but I've heard horror stories of people who become extremely violent during episodes. Any advice? She seems so cool right now, but I'm afraid of the side I'm not seeing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
What is "zany" and "cute" now will, at some point, turn into a nightmare. Did she mentioned she needed to take medication? Medication is VITAL for this. I work with a lot of bipolar people and more than not think they can get by without their meds. NOT TRUE!!

You are very right to educate yourself about this. How long have you known her?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM

134 posts, read 343,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
What is "zany" and "cute" now will, at some point, turn into a nightmare. Did she mentioned she needed to take medication? Medication is VITAL for this. I work with a lot of bipolar people and more than not think they can get by without their meds. NOT TRUE!!

You are very right to educate yourself about this. How long have you known her?
We've just met recently, so I definitely haven't had the chance to see all sides of her personality yet. I'll ask her about medication; she's very open, so I don't think it will offend her.

I'm not emotionally invested at this time so I guess the smart move would be to bail now. However, everyone deserves a chance right? I'm assuming there're plenty of bipolar people who been able to have healthy relationships.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,980 times
Good luck with that.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,590 times
I have a friend (more or less) who is BP, it is very difficult being with her, some days are good...others...not so good. If you decide to go forward with her, strap yourself in, you are in for one h#ll of a ride.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
The zany, cute, quirky side you're seeing is the manic phase of bi-polar disorder. Sooner or later it will end and she will crash back to earth and go into the depressive phase.

No, it's very hard to have a regular relationship with someone who is bi-polar. The illness will control the relationship. Obviously there are degrees to bi-polar, but it's never easy . Even with medication, it's still not an easy ride dealing with this illness in a family member, friend, significant other, etc. Only go forward with this relationship if you plan on spending your time with her walking on eggshells.

There is so much info on the internet about bi polar 1. Go do lots and lots of reading.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinher View Post
We've just met recently, so I definitely haven't had the chance to see all sides of her personality yet. I'll ask her about medication; she's very open, so I don't think it will offend her.

I'm not emotionally invested at this time so I guess the smart move would be to bail now. However, everyone deserves a chance right? I'm assuming there're plenty of bipolar people who been able to have healthy relationships.

If you must be anything to her just be a friend. If you get romantically involved this will be a mess for you and for her because it will be a sick relationship.

You will then, or should, look at your own motives and what need it is feeding in you.

Please remember... denial is not your friend. Sorry to be harsh but you really need to know this.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if it'd be better to ask this here or on the relationship forum, but I'm guessing I'll get more educated answers here. Anyway, I met a girl who seemed very zany and quirky in a good way. She pretty matter of factly told me she's been diagnosed as bipolar 1.

How cautious should I be with this. I'm not a perfect person myself (aspergers), but I've heard horror stories of people who become extremely violent during episodes. Any advice? She seems so cool right now, but I'm afraid of the side I'm not seeing

She could be a really awesome person in spite of her disease, so good for you for being willing to learn about it and give her a chance.

Two things - if she is potentially "the one" and you really want to get further involved, decide RIGHT NOW that

1) she must stay on her medication and failing to do that means you walk away

2) one of you will be getting sterilized so that there is no potential for getting pregnant once you become intimate.

I'd suggest you commit to these two things and make sure she is real clear on them too.

If you aren't willing to commit to both, then dating her and getting further involved could be very risky with lots of potential for hard times in the future

Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
^^^ I'd go slow with this one. I've known some that you wouldn't have guessed they were bipolar and I've known some that I couldn't get away from fast enough. You have to take them on an individual basis.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

39 posts, read 65,219 times
Quote:

Wow!!
I'm not sure that the answers you would get in the relationship forum would be worse than what you're getting here, but it probably wouldn't be by much!!

Some of the comments here are way off base (and rather downright cruel and insulting, LOL!!!)
Quite a bit of misinformation, at best!!

I'm Bipolar. I had ONE episode of mania. So technically, I'm Bipolar 1. As categorized in the DSM-IV-TR.

However, the one manic episode I had was almost surely drug-induced (I was on Chantix, which tends to push people with Bipolar Disorder into mania.)

So, symptom-wise, if you don't count that 4 day mania I had, I'm much more likely a Bipolar 2.

I think something that you might find very helpful is to go to Dailystrength.org and check out two of the forums. The Bipolar Disorder Forum Support Group and the Familes and Friends of Bipolar Support Group.

You don't have to join the groups to read them.
You'll get a MUCH better picture of what Bipolar Disorder is like.

(And one of the active CL's there (CL = Community Leader) is both Bipolar and has Aspergers.)

The Bipolar Support Board has 20347 Members. Obviously not all of them are posting. (Or even there anymore.) But it's a VERY active board and you'll learn plenty about what Bipolar Disordered people are like.)
The Families and Friends Board 'only' has 2066 Members and is a lot slower.

And since hardly any Family and Friends bother posting when things are going great and mainly come on there when they're having problems because of the illness, you may see some of your fears addressed.

And/or see negative things that you haven't even thought of!!

Good luck!!!

I don't think getting into a relationship with someone who has Bipolar I is just the same as getting into a relationship with someone who doesn't have a mental illness.
But it's not always the way that it's being presented in some of these posts!!

Then again, some people probably wouldn't consider entering into a relationship with you, because you have Aspergers. So you have at least some idea of what it's like to experience stigma and be rejected for something that may not be the problem that some people think it is.

If you intend to ask this girl about her medication, you might also ask her to describe how the illness affects her, overall.
Some poor souls faithfully take their medications and still have a terrible time of it. Meds don't work well for everyone.
For some people, they don't work at all.

There are some (although not many) Bipolar Disordered people who do fine without being on any medication.

So as for the suggestions on here that you focus a lot on the medication, it may -- or may NOT -- be pertinent.

Zany, cute, and quirky is NOT always a sign that someone is in a manic phase.
It's not even always a sign that they are Hypo, much less Hyper.
(I doubt that the poster who stated a manic phase as being the reason knows the difference between the various Bipolar states, or they wouldn't have made that statement.)
She may be perfectly stable right now and still have those qualities.

I think educating yourself about Bipolar Disorder is a wonderful way to go IF you even want to pursue a relationship with this girl.
There's plenty of good sites out there -- About.com, Mayo clinic, etc.

You'll get much more balanced view that you are getting on here.

Now, having said all that, I will ALSO say that I wouldn't jump right into a relationship with someone with a mental illness.
But I might still decide that I DO want to enter into it, after learning as much as I can about the illness and the person and how their illness affects them.

There was only one time my Bipolar Disorder adversely affected a relationship I was in and that was after the Bipolar Disorder kicked in, but before I realized something was wrong and before I was diagnosed and treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health