Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times

Advertisements

My aunt has had my sister for about a week. She noticed she suffers from anxiety and depression and is not on anything for it.

My sisters drug of choice is prescription pain meds.

My aunt made an appointment with a new doc for her to get her depression and anxiety. My sister has said she can only go to her doctor for any treatment. She talked a friend into taking her to the er last night.

Our father is of no use and her mother isn't in the picture.

Any advice for what to do? She's 26.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
All you can do is suggest she do this or that. If she does not follow your advice, then nothing more you can do.

Also do not allow her to "drag you down" with her. Keep a healthy distance from her. Don't give her any money for anything. Many addictive types will use all their money for drugs, then not have money for rent or food - giving them money for rent or food (or providing that) "enables" them to continue their addiction.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
My aunt has had my sister for about a week. She noticed she suffers from anxiety and depression and is not on anything for it.

My sisters drug of choice is prescription pain meds.

My aunt made an appointment with a new doc for her to get her depression and anxiety. My sister has said she can only go to her doctor for any treatment. She talked a friend into taking her to the er last night.

Our father is of no use and her mother isn't in the picture.

Any advice for what to do? She's 26.
what happened at the ER?

In my state they keep a list of patients(people) who are on specific meds. The ER's here would know about her prescriptions and not give her anymore.

But I digress---you could offer her up advice but be prepared with a list of potential treatment centers and/or offer to go with her to her own doc to discuss her possible addiction.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
All you can do is suggest she do this or that. If she does not follow your advice, then nothing more you can do.

Also do not allow her to "drag you down" with her. Keep a healthy distance from her. Don't give her any money for anything. Many addictive types will use all their money for drugs, then not have money for rent or food - giving them money for rent or food (or providing that) "enables" them to continue their addiction.
Thank you. I completely understand what you're saying.

Is there any way for one of us to make her go to rehab? I truly feel she is a danger to herself.

She's never lived on her own. She lived with our father which was the biggest mental abuser of her. Then our aunt told her to go stay there. There was no pressure other than to look for a job and get on her feet. She's so depressed from the years of mental abuse that she doesn't move from the couch and I'm sure the pain meds contribute to that.

None if us have ever dealt with something like this before. I'm completely ignorant to the whole thing of drug abuse. She can be a smart kid but I just don't know how to get her to take a step.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
What pain med has she been on? Do you know how many she takes a day? If she wants to try and get off opiates she might try Kratom. Its an herb that people use for that, as well as for depression, anxiety, and helps some with pain too. It might be an alternative to rehab if she can stop and wants to try to get better. There a couple forums, you might wanta read about other peoples struggles there. People are pretty helpful on both forums. There are vendors listed on the sites too, and they will send out free samples. I know there are a lot of people on these forums that have had trouble with opiate addiction. I have very severe depression/anxiety, etc, I'm weird about meds and herbs so I dont get near as good a reaction as most do. But any port in a storm. Good luck to you.

Login

The Kratom Forum

Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
What pain med has she been on? Do you know how many she takes a day? If she wants to try and get off opiates she might try Kratom. Its an herb that people use for that, as well as for depression, anxiety, and helps some with pain too. It might be an alternative to rehab if she can stop and wants to try to get better. There a couple forums, you might wanta read about other peoples struggles there. People are pretty helpful on both forums. There are vendors listed on the sites too, and they will send out free samples. I know there are a lot of people on these forums that have had trouble with opiate addiction. I have very severe depression/anxiety, etc, I'm weird about meds and herbs so I dont get near as good a reaction as most do. But any port in a storm. Good luck to you.

Login

The Kratom Forum
I've heard about people getting addicted to kratom and suffering withdrawal.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM

I am unsure of exactly what she's on. I am so new to this it isn't even funny.

I know she has back issues, so I'm sure she went to the er for back pain. The er she went to would have been a new one for her as she is at my aunts house now about 40 miles from our fathers house.
The doc she goes to is a pain management doctor, whatever that is.
I am going to research the Kratom and see what I find out.

I am about 80 miles from them and am brainstorming with them from afar. I am about to have hip surgery and have been in phone contact with them daily, only I can't get my sister to return calls or texts.

My sister is young enough to be my daughter. She was from our fathers second marriage. He is useless and her mom left them for someone else when she was around 13, and is an alcoholic. Her life has been a mess. I really feel badly for her. She was up here Memorial Day weekend and she definitely seemed off to me. Like she was nodding off and very slow.

Is there any way to put her in rehab against her wishes?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I dont have addiction to meds but was in a pain program with people who had chronic pain but some also were addicted to pain meds. They were taken off the addictive meds and put on meds that can assist with pain that are not addictive,also meds for depression/anxiety etc. Also group and individual along with physical therapy. It was very key for them to work on the issues they were covering up with the meds and learning to cope in a healthy way.
Some people do need inpatient care and some can do it outpatient. It really depends. I think the first step would be to sit your sister down and say how you feel and concerns. I think being open and honest is very important. Possibly you could state you would be willing to go to a session of therapy or with her for a check up etc for support.
So much in recovery comes from the person and they have to be willing to do what ever it takes to get healthy and recovery. Family support is important but you can't do this for her or make her stop. All you can do is be there to support and encourage.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 AM

Thank you all so much. What I'm getting from each one of you is that it's her battle and she needs to take control and want help for it. I'm not so sure she does or if she sees herself as having one.

I am so out of my element. Never had to deal with this in my life.

It's funny that I worked in corrections for 10 years. I saw what drug addiction could lead to.

If she were a minor I would sign her into a rehab in a minute. Unfortunately chronologically she's an adult.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will be sharing all of this with my family. We are all at a loss on where to begin. You will have given me a lot to go on from here.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
In my experience, it you "force" someone to go to drug rehab, as is sometimes done with teenagers, the person will not try in the least and it will be pointless.

With that said, you are best to visit one or two drug rehab centers and talk with the mental health professionals there. Ask about forcing someone to go there. These people know what works and what does not work, so get it straight from the "horse"!

Also there are "Narcotics Anonymous" meetings, or if none of those in your area, an "Alcoholics Anonymous" meeting will do. Those are addicts and some people at the Alcoholics Anonymous meetings will have used drugs and alcohol in the past. Anyway go to one of those meetings by yourself and ask about forcing someone to go to drug rehab. Maybe explain a little about your sister and her situation. Ask them how you can best help her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health