Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've read that all borderline personalities are extremely difficult to treat because they don't think they need treatment.
Many bpd patients also believe the problem is their loved ones not them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Lily it sounds like your ex bf had bi-polar mood disorder. Isomnia, etc.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I think if they face their problems, accept them as a managable part of themseves, practice self-care and have support, they can transition away from a lot of the behaviors. I think BPD is brought on by external circumstances - abandonment, ptsd... It's so difficult.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 89,981 times
It sounds like he had Bipolar Disorder. There can be many overlapping symptoms in both Bipolar and BPD. The DSM-5 is now classifying BPD as emotional dysregualtion disorder. Dialectical Behavioural Therapy has been shown to be effective.
Also, sorry for your loss.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
Treated into remission? No. Managed for benefit? Yes, but only when they desire. There has to be a greater reason to modify behaviors, which simply becomes a balancing act: why do I want to change something that really works for me? It is such an ego-syntonic disorder that few have a desire, need, or inclination for change. Besides, to them, everyone else is not working hard enough. And yes, as others have stated, I believe the OP's former partner had a bipolar d/o.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM

162 posts, read 242,282 times
Yes, using Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT).

Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
no managed only.

And re-reading your first post sounds more like Bipolar Disorder than BPD although they have similarities, but the insomnia and can't stop doing things middle of night that is classic mania. BPD people are often very angry to happy. BPD from my reading, is like Bipolar on steroids, in that cycles are faster and more often.

Regardless, sorry for your loss and neither one can be cured just managed. And from my exp. with a friend that has BP1, she can't even be managed that well.

When you have little to no insurance, you get little to no treatment. Some of those antipsychotics are $800 a month, and when you trial and error them like the psych community does, you don't get refund on $800 when it doesn't work. Then you try and buy some other meds throw more $$$ and hope.

I second the bipolar suggestion. My dear wife, who seems to have some degree of BPD does not do that. I have met bipolar people, and it is very pronounced at times. I would say that untreated bipolar disorder is worse than BPD, but both have elevated suicide rates. Also, I think most BPD people DO have issues with anger. My wife and son have major issues with temper. It is a huge dimension of their personality. And they don't seem to realize that they are causing the chaos and ill feelings they generate.

I am sorry for your loss OP.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've read that all borderline personalities are extremely difficult to treat because they don't think they need treatment.
Exactly. The black and white thinking is a defense mechanism to cover deep seated fears. Admitting any shared role in conflict, or worse yet, a disorder, would move them to the black (evil, worthless,etc.), which makes it very hard for them to accept and receive help. Ironically, if they do, they apparently have a better prognosis than those with many other mental illnesses.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:02 AM

304 posts, read 397,104 times
Getting a diagnoses for BPD in some cases takes time. It can be confused with Bi Polar disorder or sometimes PTSD. The Key feature in BPD is sensitivity and fear of rejection and or abandonment. Males with BPD are under diagnosed - since many men refuse to see they have a problem. Sometimes these men are diagnosed with Anti Social Personality disorder. Sometimes BPD runs cor-morbid with anxiety disorders like GAD, or PTSD or Bi Polar disorder. I run GAD with my Diagnoses. Some times people will have another personality disorder running with BPD

The differences between men and women diagnosed with BPD are small- except men tend more to substance abuse, and sex addiction (though some women may also) Women tend to cut more, and have more depression and suicide thoughts.

I am a male diagnosed with BPD- I have fears of rejection, defensive about my 'shortcomings' can become angry and irritable, have black and white thinking, impulsive behavior, No sense of 'Self'. I had difficult interpersonal relationships, dissociation, and also rapid mood swings. And in the past sex addiction and substance abuse issues. I was diagnosed properly a year ago after 2 years of therapy- and have been in DBT since the start of the year. DBT if strictly adhered in group and intensive personal work can lead a BPD to a sustained recovery. An improvement in interpersonal skills is seen first, occupational recovery takes longer, and has less success for some.

For me it has really turned my life around in thinking more rationally toward 'Wise Mind' and the Zen concept of 'Mindfulness'- with reduced anger, black and white thinking, and a far greater awareness of myself. Adding confidence and self empowerment. It takes time- anywhere from 6 months to a year before change is started.

Today Borderlines have much hope. We have a far greater chance of recovery then the other Cluster 'B' bad seed- the Narcissist. While Anti Socials cannot be changed. A state with good mental health services available - at low cost or for free is paramount in recovery. I am in Connecticut which has done much in making mental health services available at low or no cost- its up to the patient to want help and proceed over time. In states without these services the costs can be high even with Insurance.

Last edited by newerabuzz; 06-23-2014 at 04:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health