U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 06:16 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,901,111 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is the right forum or if it needs to go under mental health...I have researched predictors of addictive personalities, and all I could find was the issue of self-control as a child. I am wondering if some people who know addicts (namely, drugs or alcohol) can tell me what these people were like as children. There has to be a commonality. I am worried about my friend's daughter (she's 8) who has a similar personality to her aunt who had addiction problems....obnoxious, loud, needy, whiny, oblivious to other people. I sure don't know what can be done about it...her parents both work and give her as much attention as they possibly can. She has an older brother. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 AM

2,349 posts, read 4,701,055 times
Maybe sugar, candy, sweets, ice cream: more, more, more...

Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM

5,697 posts, read 5,644,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I don't know if this is the right forum or if it needs to go under mental health...I have researched predictors of addictive personalities, and all I could find was the issue of self-control as a child. I am wondering if some people who know addicts (namely, drugs or alcohol) can tell me what these people were like as children. There has to be a commonality. I am worried about my friend's daughter (she's 8) who has a similar personality to her aunt who had addiction problems....obnoxious, loud, needy, whiny, oblivious to other people. I sure don't know what can be done about it...her parents both work and give her as much attention as they possibly can. She has an older brother. Thank you.

if she is not being raised by the aunt what makes you think this behavior has anything to do with that
it sounds like she does not have much discipline
maybe it is not attention she needs maybe she needs to learn a different way of expressing herself
some parents out right ignore this and just cater to the kids
gosh I would hate to be a child today in this society of me,me.,me!!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:09 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,393,820 times
I knew a couple of now alcoholics as children - both were highly sensitive and very fearful and prone to worry. One was totally addicted to sugar and would use her lunch money to buy candy.

You seem to be talking about more of a personality or character "disorder" or problem . . . rather than someone prone to addiction.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:30 PM

84,630 posts, read 77,801,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
That's not how it works. In childhood they may have been deprived of parental love, or suffered a trauma of some sort.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 PM

29,042 posts, read 46,577,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
if she is not being raised by the aunt what makes you think this behavior has anything to do with that
Probably because addictive behavior can be hereditary (scientific fact), and I'm assuming the aunt is genetically related to the child? Seems like a logical conclusion to me.

I've had my own struggles with addiction, not genetic in my case (although the related mental illnesses are), and I was a fairly quiet child... very precocious/mature, didn't talk much until adolescence, had trouble focusing, and have ALWAYS had issues with sleep schedules & schedules in general. I probably also have some form of ADD, but they didn't diagnose that yet in my childhood years. Basically every one of my report cards read "bright and capable student, but needs to work on focus and time management." Interestingly, I've had similar feedback from work supervisors over the years.

FYI: I got away from using anything heavy in my early 20s (I'm 36 now), but still cling to other addictions - namely cigarettes, caffeine, and marijuana in moderation & legally. So it will probably always be something I need to deal with & attempt to overcome. I probably have an easier time because it ISN'T genetic in my family, but still struggle nevertheless.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM

29,042 posts, read 46,577,427 times
Oh, and post-adolescence I became rather impulsive - trying lots of things I knew were dangerous, from drugs to hanging out in bad areas with bad people, even though I was smart enough & informed enough to know better.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 PM

10,141 posts, read 14,893,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
That's a good start. Impulsive, disobeying, truancy. Why not the obvious like looking at family trees. When you peel back the layers you will often find multi generational addicts. That's a much better predictor IMO.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,644,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Probably because addictive behavior can be hereditary (scientific fact), and I'm assuming the aunt is genetically related to the child? Seems like a logical conclusion to me.

I've had my own struggles with addiction, not genetic in my case (although the related mental illnesses are), and I was a fairly quiet child... very precocious/mature, didn't talk much until adolescence, had trouble focusing, and have ALWAYS had issues with sleep schedules & schedules in general. I probably also have some form of ADD, but they didn't diagnose that yet in my childhood years. Basically every one of my report cards read "bright and capable student, but needs to work on focus and time management." Interestingly, I've had similar feedback from work supervisors over the years.

FYI: I got away from using anything heavy in my early 20s (I'm 36 now), but still cling to other addictions - namely cigarettes, caffeine, and marijuana in moderation & legally. So it will probably always be something I need to deal with & attempt to overcome. I probably have an easier time because it ISN'T genetic in my family, but still struggle nevertheless.

of course alcoholism is rampant in a lot of families it is in mine
what I meant was the aunt is not rearing this child and just because he/she is acting out does not mean they are going to be an addict
I said it might be caused from the lack of boundaries in the home
that happens sadly a lot the family revolves around the kid
this is just general talk here none of us know what is happening

Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM

63,288 posts, read 59,977,980 times
I have two siblings who are/were alcoholics/addicts. As a kid, my brother was always acting up, doing things to try to get attention, being defiant as far as the rules went. He was also a thief from a young age--would steal our allowance out of our piggy banks, would steal money from my parents. He became a heroin addict for a while and then stopped using after he was caught burglarizing neighbors and it was rehab or jail. After that, he drank, but functioned--held a good job as an electrician, raised a daughter, and then died at 51 from the Hep C he picked up during the heroin stint.

My sister who is an alcoholic was whiny and always complained that she was picked on and that my parents loved everyone else more than her. She was also thoughtless of the feelings of everyone else and the meanest one, with a very sharp tongue always cutting everyone to shreds, but her POV was that everyone was picking on HER. She still bears some of those personality characteristics to some degree. Everyone else got a better break than she did in life, according to her. She is 61 and has cirrhosis, but stopped drinking about a year ago when it looked for a while as if she was in her last days. She's rebounded somewhat and gained weight back since she quit drinking--somewhat miraculous to us, since at this time last year she looked like someone who just walked out of a concentration camp--but her liver is in bad shape.

The commonality with both is that they couldn't seem to see other people's points of view, only their own, and both always had difficulty socially in that they couldn't have conversations with/listen to others whose views are different from theirs.

There are five other siblings. One drinks too much and smokes pot regularly, but he quits for periods of time to sort of purge himself and then starts up again. I don't think he is an addict or an alcoholic. He is a workaholic, though. As a child, he was the nicest, sweetest of us all, very caring person.

Incidentally, neither of my parents drank much, maybe a "highball" on holidays or the occasional beer for my father at the VFW. There was no liquor kept in our home. It is likely that a great-grandfather was an alcoholic.

And most of us MARRIED an alcoholic at some point.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-21-2013 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health