Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

I just thought of something--in addition to the other suggestions. They can often talk with other men who have had the same experience. They think (and probably rightfully so) that other people could never understand and they can't trust other people that much anyway. But with another man who went through a similar situation, they do open up more.

Does he know anyone else who was there and went through similar situations? Is there a veterans group at all?

That's a beautiful church BTW, no wonder he would feel comforted and safe in a place like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:47 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The OP is talking about PTSD and her husband apparently is suffering from the horrors he has seen. I wonder if people do realize that War is not normal and he is depressed. Some people can handle being in the Military and there are those who can't. I'm just wondering if mental health is even addressed in Serbia.
Rob, did you read her story???? It's a lot more than just 'being in the military' There are no drugs or counseling that can erase what this man has been through.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Also, research has shown that Music Helps Vets Control Symptoms of PTSD.

Try to play some soft easy listening music for your husband, it might be helpful as well.

WQXR - New York's Classical Music Radio Station

The playlist is on the bottom of that page, if you can't find it, here is the list

Dr. Mary Rorro’s Playlist
Marchenbilder Langsam movement

Robert Schumann

Nessun Dorma
Giacomo Puccini
The melodic pieces highlight the viola’s velvety tone, and are exceptionally beautiful, placing the listeners in a contemplative mood.

Memory
Andrew Lloyd Webber
from the Broadway musical Cats
It seems to evoke recollections of buddies lost in battle. Lyrics are hopeful that through the melancholic remembrance of times long past, ‘a new day will begin.

O’ Danny Boy
Traditional
It is often requested by veterans around St. Patrick’s Day to pay homage to those who made sacrifices in service to their country.

O Mio Babbino Caro
Giacomo Puccini
A languid piece that lulls the veterans into a dreamy realm of peace and serenity.

Ave Maria
Gabriel Fauré
It induces a state of meditation and reflection for veterans.

Symphony No. 9
Ludwig van Beethoven

A triumphant theme of heroic proportion that is uplifting and inspiring.
That's a wonderful idea, music is very powerful. I wonder if he might be interested in playing an instrument, as therapy - something soothing and not too expensive, like a flute.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times
My dad was a ranger in Vietnam. He was the only one to survive his platoon. He was shot down in a helicopter, he was shot in the back, etc. Stories I don't want to hear. Cant imagine.

He passed away last year but he lived a very very very difficult life. My mom (his ex wife, ex due to mom not being able to tolerates dad's abuse, understandable) supported him his last 15 years of living. God bless her heart.

I am sorry you have to go through what you are going through.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Just a reminder, everyone: please stay on the topic of OP's husband's PTSD.

Please leave politics and history out of it. Thanks.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 AM

You live on a farm. I find animals bring a calmness of spirt, they can be therapeutic.

Visiting the Cows - YouTube

Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM

27 posts, read 27,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just thought of something--in addition to the other suggestions. They can often talk with other men who have had the same experience. They think (and probably rightfully so) that other people could never understand and they can't trust other people that much anyway. But with another man who went through a similar situation, they do open up more.

Does he know anyone else who was there and went through similar situations? Is there a veterans group at all?

That's a beautiful church BTW, no wonder he would feel comforted and safe in a place like that.
In Serbia are few as my husband. And even if they are, they are not organised to meet or something. Only two of his comrades from the captured company survived along with him, but i don't know where are they. I am afraid of worse. There are veterans organization, but they mostly spend their time demanding their rights, striking. The new pro-western regime is almost ashamed of them because they fought against the NATO. Tragicomic.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That's a wonderful idea, music is very powerful. I wonder if he might be interested in playing an instrument, as therapy - something soothing and not too expensive, like a flute.
Not sure that you read all the comments, but i wrote that he plays sometimes his accordion.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
My dad was a ranger in Vietnam. He was the only one to survive his platoon. He was shot down in a helicopter, he was shot in the back, etc. Stories I don't want to hear. Cant imagine.

He passed away last year but he lived a very very very difficult life. My mom (his ex wife, ex due to mom not being able to tolerates dad's abuse, understandable) supported him his last 15 years of living. God bless her heart.

I am sorry you have to go through what you are going through.
I am very sorry to hear that. My husband luckily didn't turn violent, but opposite.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You live on a farm. I find animals bring a calmness of spirt, they can be therapeutic.

Visiting the Cows - YouTube
My husband always insists to lead the sheep to pasture in to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health