Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:18 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

I lost somebody to suicide a while ago and he seemed to suffer from borderline personality disorder.
Now looking back, I don't think in the long run, he would be capable of sustaining functioning romantic relationship or interpersonal relationships with anybody. He had intense anger he couldn't control, and he always had this thing called "racing thoughts" whatever that means.

Well, I've been reading an online article, it says, "the fact is people with BPD have a hard time with intimacy. Without intimacy, you just have two people going through the motions. The fact is, a person in the throes of Borderline Personality Disorder is incapable of adult emotional intimacy, because the very nature of the disorder decrees that they have not matured enough emotionally to the degree that is required to have emotionally healthy adult intimacy. They are caught in a cycle of emotional Push/Pull, or “love-hate.”"

My question is, do you think borderline personality disorder suffers can truly love somebody? Or they are just in love with the idea of being loved due to their severe abandonment, stress, anger issues.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 06:45 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Your post reminds me of something my mother asked me many years ago and I've never forgotten it and often wondered why she really asked. I don't remember exactly what we were discussing, but it must have been something about marriage and men. I was an adult and not happy with my marriage. We were quiet at the moment she spoke pensively, "Do you think you could ever really love someone?"

The way she said it, I've thought she didn't necessarily mean it about me, but, about herself. I replied yes, I could love another.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 PM

304 posts, read 396,890 times
I have a few traits of borderline Personality- and I can LOVE.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:11 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
borderlines can be nurturant and loving. probably moreso than narcissists

Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I think it's possible they can love though I can't say for sure. One thing they can't do though is to sustain a healthy relationship b/c they don't have the maturity to do so. I just got out of a relationship with one and at the end he said something so outrageous that I knew I'd never be able to get naked with him again. That was in June and I'm still getting emails from him trying to prove to me why I'm wrong and he said that he went to a whole panel of psychologists and they told him it was my problem lol. LOL b/c I can't imagine he would ever spend the money. Still, the problem with borderlines is that they often have crossover symptoms with NPD and ASPD and mine had NPD for sure and told quite a few lies I found out later.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I think it's possible they can love though I can't say for sure. One thing they can't do though is to sustain a healthy relationship b/c they don't have the maturity to do so. I just got out of a relationship with one and at the end he said something so outrageous that I knew I'd never be able to get naked with him again. That was in June and I'm still getting emails from him trying to prove to me why I'm wrong and he said that he went to a whole panel of psychologists and they told him it was my problem lol. LOL b/c I can't imagine he would ever spend the money. Still, the problem with borderlines is that they often have crossover symptoms with NPD and ASPD and mine had NPD for sure and told quite a few lies I found out later.
Is ASPD Asbergers? I've posted before about my son and my thinking he has it, but, there is so much about personality disorders that sounds like him. He is very cold, but not to his dogs or any other pet. He'd done some really odd behaviors to the women in his life. Most of them are certain they can fix him. HA Are they in for a surprise. (I'm speaking for his sister there!)

Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Is ASPD Asbergers? I've posted before about my son and my thinking he has it, but, there is so much about personality disorders that sounds like him. He is very cold, but not to his dogs or any other pet. He'd done some really odd behaviors to the women in his life. Most of them are certain they can fix him. HA Are they in for a surprise. (I'm speaking for his sister there!)
Does your son have a lot of abandonment issues?

One key characteristics of bpd is anger and rage.

They do go through a lot of emotional ups and downs. They have troubles regulate their emotions. It is a very painful mental disorder.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
@lilyflower3191981

My opinion is someone would have to have major BPD to not be able to love, so major to the point were they wouldn't be able to function in normal life. But in this day and age even normals have trouble with intimacy and love.

P.S racing thoughts is an indicator or symptom of bipolar disorder or Schizophrenia. Not bpd.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@lilyflower3191981

My opinion is someone would have to have major BPD to not be able to love, so major to the point were they wouldn't be able to function in normal life. But in this day and age even normals have trouble with intimacy and love.

P.S racing thoughts is an indicator or symptom of bipolar disorder or Schizophrenia. Not bpd.
Do you think racing thoughts is exclusive symptom of bipolar or schizophrenia though? One therapist has told me that racing thought can be found in BPD sufferers as well.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Is ASPD Asbergers? I've posted before about my son and my thinking he has it...
ASPD is Anti-Social Personality Disorder, not Asperger Syndrome, the latter of which falls under the classification of Autism. The coldness you speak of is part of Aspergers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health