Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 PM

676 posts, read 936,740 times

Advertisements

How can Alanon help a person that has given that person everything in my body to give? My Doc said I had caregiver burnout. What can I do about that ? He still can't/won't do for himself. How can they help MMMEEEEE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Some of us learn many things in Alanon: like setting limits, not being responsible for the other person's feelings/behavior and most importantly, how to make adjustments in yourself to help you. Going to Alanon was one of the most eye-opening, core-shaking things I have ever done in my life. I am forever grateful for the help. Please give it a chance.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 PM

676 posts, read 936,740 times
Default Alanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
Some of us learn many things in Alanon: like setting limits, not being responsible for the other person's feelings/behavior and most importantly, how to make adjustments in yourself to help you. Going to Alanon was one of the most eye-opening, core-shaking things I have ever done in my life. I am forever grateful for the help. Please give it a chance.
I will try to find one in this one horse town with no stoplight....

Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I will try to find one in this one horse town with no stoplight....
It will set you free. Go some extra miles if necessary. It's worth it.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:19 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Hi TaraJane, This may be helpful to you: http://www.al-anon.org/what-if-im-not-ready

Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
AlaNOT! That's what my wife calls it.

She tried to go when she first met me but I was sober and recovered in A.A. at the time. She said to me "I wouldn't put up with it. If you ever treated me like those folks' SOs do, you'd be down the road."

She saw them as a bunch of victims. I tried to tell her that maybe not all of them work their program and maybe some of them have a ways to go.

My question to the SO of an alcoholic, what attracted you to them in the first place? Surely you weren't forced into the relationship at gunpoint? Did you miss a sign or two? If so, why no boundaries as time passed? There's always the door over there. It still swings both ways right?

And if not, maybe they were perfect when you met them. Is this the case? If so, does that suggest they became alky on your watch? Don't make much sense does it? Also, have you ever attracted or been attracted to a normie?

I like a book by Melody Beatty, Codependent No More.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:24 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
AlaNOT! That's what my wife calls it.

She tried to go when she first met me but I was sober and recovered in A.A. at the time. She said to me "I wouldn't put up with it. If you ever treated me like those folks' SOs do, you'd be down the road."

She saw them as a bunch of victims. I tried to tell her that maybe not all of them work their program and maybe some of them have a ways to go.

My question to the SO of an alcoholic, what attracted you to them in the first place? Surely you weren't forced into the relationship at gunpoint? Did you miss a sign or two? If so, why no boundaries as time passed? There's always the door over there. It still swings both ways right?

And if not, maybe they were perfect when you met them. Is this the case? If so, does that suggest they became alky on your watch? Don't make much sense does it? Also, have you ever attracted or been attracted to a normie?

I like a book by Melody Beatty, Codependent No More.
Those questions are useless to a codie because what attracted them to the alkie in the first place was their need to control and fix and have someone provide the crises they need. A codie isn't going to be attracted to a healthy person to begin with. They don't realize that there is something wrong with seeing the world this way. They are SUPPOSED to be able to fix and control and most importantly, the problem is all someone else. Of course they can't do the impossible and so the cycle goes on and on until they learn something different and make real change within THEMSELVES.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:28 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
How can Alanon help a person that has given that person everything in my body to give? My Doc said I had caregiver burnout. What can I do about that ? He still can't/won't do for himself. How can they help MMMEEEEE
It's ALL about you helping you, not helping the alcoholic. They can only help themselves.

Some people actually show up at Al-Anon meetings thinking it's about what they can do to help the alcoholic.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Those questions are useless to a codie because what attracted them to the alkie in the first place was their need to control and fix and have someone provide the crises they need. A codie isn't going to be attracted to a healthy person to begin with. They don't realize that there is something wrong with seeing the world this way.
Bingo. This is a very unfortunate thing and I hope these folks get helped in Alanon or wherever there's hope.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
I'd rep MQ and Dog both but I have to spread it
around first. So consider yourselves repped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health