Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 PM

63 posts, read 111,477 times

Advertisements

I've had this job that I dislike a lot (and makes me miserable at times) and don't need the money but I can't seem to quit. I'm not sure its because I don't want to displease the company or because I'm just so used to it and am resistant to change. Either way, its very irrational as my mental health is suffering because of it and any rational person would quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 02:11 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,121 times
Maybe you need to put it in writing. Maybe saying the words are what stresses you out.

A resignation letter may be the only way you can do it.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:57 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
Do yourself a favor demog....if you don't need the money, quit.
Had a friend in a job that he really hated...it was really depressing him going to work each day...he took a chance and quit, and even though he's making less money where he is now, he's waaaay happier.
If you don't take care of you (and your own) no one else will.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,373,804 times
have you tried cutting your hours? if its a possibility try that, and if it doesnt work then quit. you really dont want to go insane just because of a job, and the good thing is you have money saved up. if you didnt have money saved up its a different issue.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,495,118 times
IMO, you may need to decide on a reason and definite date - and maybe the reason can give you the date - like you will be away for a time, family needs help, etc, beginning January 1, or something like that. Or you are 'officially' retiring January 1. (You don't have to give them any reason - but if/when they ask if you can stay longer, be ready to say, I'm sorry, but no.)

The company may be a little displeased at having to replace you - but they should ultimately be HAPPY for YOU and whatever your future plans are. It's usually a 'pain' to replace someone who's doing a good job, etc, but it's also a normal process of business - they will survive.

I think you may feel good when you 'honor' and regard yourself in this. It may surprise you.

If you find that you miss the day to day activity, co-worker friendships, etc, you can find a place to volunteer, or join a club, or something.

Good luck.

Last edited by Zelva; 12-15-2013 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-15-2013, 11:17 PM

538 posts, read 5,349,452 times
"Quitting" is for the weak.......

Rocky Will "Never Surrender" - YouTube

US Navy Seals Tribute - YouTube

Die Hard Trilogy - YouTube

Old 12-15-2013, 11:27 PM

538 posts, read 5,349,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demog View Post
I've had this job that I dislike a lot (and makes me miserable at times) and don't need the money but I can't seem to quit. I'm not sure its because I don't want to displease the company or because I'm just so used to it and am resistant to change. Either way, its very irrational as my mental health is suffering because of it and any rational person would quit.
Truth is many folks today quit their jobs for some of the dumbest reasons known. Didn't get a 50 cent an hour raise. Had to work out in the cold. The drive is 4 miles too far. Quit because of bullies. Quit because of getting dirty.....all sorts of things.

No way!!

The Princess Bride - Hello My Name Is Inigo Montoya - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health