Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times

Advertisements

You have been given excellent advice in all the threads you've started on this topic. There is no miracle waiting out there that will not require some effort on your part. You are going to actually have to DO something. Every suggestion you have received has been met with some excuse as to why you can't (in reality, won't) do whatever reasonable thing that has been suggested and how everything is someone else's fault. No superhero is going to swoop in and rescue you. You are going to have to get up off your whiny, self-absorbed backside and DO something.

There have been many fine suggestions as to what you can DO to improve your life. Pick one or more of them and get to work. The suggestion that would probably improve your immediate situation more than anything else is to get off the internet and start pitching in around the house without whining or complaining, and don't wait to be told to do something. Make dinner, vacuum the floor, mow the lawn, take out the trash. Just do something to change the dynamic. You can't redo your dismal performance in high school, but you can go get a McJob of some kind and start to become self sufficient.

Put some effort into making your life better. Don't wait for someone else to do it for you because that is just not gonna happen. Once you discover how good it feels to actually accomplish something, things won't look so bleak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Learn how to do something that makes money!!!

There a hundred things...then as you get older and wiser...pursue what it is you
really want...but make some money first...and get some confidence.

Waiter
Shortorder cook (start as a kitchen worker and learn!)
Hair cutter/barber school
Start a window washing business
Lawn care
Plant nursery worker
House painter business
Gutter cleaner
Plumber or electrician apprentice
Car washer...work your way to manager in all of the above.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,416 times
I'm wondering...Are you sure you are graduating from high school with your GPA? If not, you could enroll in a charter school online and finish high school that way. What do you like to do?

I think you need to have a support group around you. It sounds like you might suffer from depression. Have you seen a doctor? Also, talk to your guidance counsellor at school. They can do some testing to see where your interest and strengths lie and suggest some fields that you can get into.

I know another young man in the neighborhood who had a low GPA and did not graduate from high school. He enrolled in charter school and had to take a lot of classes over. It took him about a year, but he said he actually enjoyed it as he could study when he wanted to, and he loves computers. They also had tutors who could help him. He is now enrolling in an auto mechanics program.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
eight mile in the county and you afraid to drive, you need to grow a set, get away from the pot and video game and get back on track, you said 1.6 gpa. that just plain goofing off. the army would be best for you. don't know what to do, the army will tell you your new trade

Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
This kid has skated by in life and his parents are sick and tired of it and you're online trying to diagnose him as an "Aspie"?

Asperger's is a non-diagnosis. It's been removed from the DSM5. And for good reason. Anyone who has social issues because they've been coddled their whole life is now diagnosed as an "Aspie" to alleviate their parents guilt over doing a crappy job of socializing their kid and teaching them coping skills.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're both trolls and call it a day.
303Guy very recently lost his son, who was an "Aspie", to suicide. I wouldn't have known that either if I hadn't just seen the thread where it's mentioned.

Maybe you can use this as an opportunity to think about the tone you use and assumptions you make about people before replying to their posts? I agree that there was some shaky reasoning going on in the post you quoted, but still.

Anyway, OP, I think you sound like most naive teenagers. I can say that because I, too, was an unbelievably naive teenager:

Unlike you, my parents have always been willing to financially support all the decisions that my sister and I make. So, when I was 18 and had applied to colleges thousands of miles from home (despite having been raised relatively sheltered), they just went with it. I ended up going to a school 2800 miles from home, and, long story short, everything crumbled super quickly. I just wasn't emotionally ready or mature enough to be all alone in a brand new city and responsible for myself. And I had my dad's money to work with! You would likely be living about the poverty line! So you'd be dealing with your own immaturity, naivete, and being poor.

I suppose you could follow this dream of yours and fall flat on your face, like I did - it certainly made me wiser in the long-run! But I recommend you work your way up the conventional way. Get a job, save up, pay for community college yourself, get your own place if you can, and figure things out from there. You'll be more mature at that point and have a better idea of what you could feasibly do for the rest of your life.

Running away to Texas sounds more like a fantasy than a real solution to your problems.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
eight mile in the county and you afraid to drive, you need to grow a set, get away from the pot and video game and get back on track, you said 1.6 gpa. that just plain goofing off. the army would be best for you. don't know what to do, the army will tell you your new trade
For some reason, although it has been suggested many times, OP won't consider biking to where he needs to be. He prefers to be a leech or a couch potato.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Life is hard and you have to toughen up to make it through. You choose your own mindset, you choose whether you'll give up or whether you'll garner that willpower to push on through and make your life what YOU want it to be DESPITE the setbacks and the lack of cheerleading team from your parents. It's your life, you can sit wallowing in your pity party mentality or you can get on your bike, go into town and look for a job. Once you've secured a job you can get on your bike again, ride into town and look for a cheap apartment. Freedom is a wondrous feeling, it unties those binds that cloud your mind and heart.

I left home when I was 18 and never ever went back except to visit. I struggled and floundered on and off for many years but I learned from my mistakes and kept on going. I went into nursing when I was 26 and got myself a lucrative career. Life through me some curveballs as it does but here I am at 50, financially secure with 2 grown daughters who are doing well, a loving husband and a wonderful supportive family. I have lived in 3 different countries and I can honestly say I feel, in general, an inner peace and happiness. One of the things I had to learn the hard way was I was the master of my emotions and I could control my thoughts and my decisions.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:14 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
303Guy very recently lost his son, who was an "Aspie", to suicide. I wouldn't have known that either if I hadn't just seen the thread where it's mentioned.

Maybe you can use this as an opportunity to think about the tone you use and assumptions you make about people before replying to their posts? I agree that there was some shaky reasoning going on in the post you quoted, but still.
I did read his posts. Although I'm sorry he lost his child to suicide, it wasn't due to his son being an "Aspie". As I've stated, "Aspie" does not exist. And while his loss may provide the reason for his posts, it does not excuse them.

He has been promoting the non-diagnosis to anyone and everyone on the forum as well as attempting to internet "Aspie" diagnose anyone who claims to be a social misfit. Furthermore, like all good enablers, he's also essentially alleging that everyone in his family is an "Aspie" and essentially they're all successful because they have Aspergers.

Getting poor grades, being socially awkward and not being taught the tools to cope in life does not mean you have a medical condition. Nor does it mean you have an above average IQ. It means you need to practice living more and develop your skills, whatever they might be or not be.

This is a separate issue from 303s loss. But I don't think that no one should call him out on his internet diagnoses because he lost a child. Calling his son an "Aspie" and attempting to blame that as the reason for his loss, while it may provide some comfort to himself to disassociate from the real issue of depression and trying to make sense of why his son did what he did, does not help other posters and may cause more harm than good.

Calling every socially awkward person an "Aspie" only diminishes the diagnostic value of the very real medical condition known as Autism.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:14 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
When I was younger I used to ride horses and reeducate some unruly ones. The younger ones were sometimes afraid of their own shadow and would bolt at every flicker of a harmless leaf. Only repetition and baby steps cured them of being frightened. Some of them took a lot of patience and creative thinking to break the cycle of a trapped mind set. I remember riding one seasoned old horse that wasn't afraid of anything. He even walked through a large body of standing water that I wasn't sure we should be going through. Maybe you should start by taking baby steps with driving. Just go up the road and turn around and go back home. Do this until it becomes boring, then go a tad farther when you're ready. Your mind is trapped in the I can't cycle and you're way too young to be in your self imposed cage. You are also young enough to reverse your situation. I'm an old horse now and have been through a lot. Life is the best education if you develop the tools to deal with it. Go out there and get in that car. You have to start somewhere. Just master one thing first lest you be over whelmed trying to fix every problem in your life at once. Baby steps.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:21 AM

746 posts, read 866,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post

Anyway, OP, I think you sound like most naive teenagers. I can say that because I, too, was an unbelievably naive teenager:

Unlike you, my parents have always been willing to financially support all the decisions that my sister and I make. So, when I was 18 and had applied to colleges thousands of miles from home (despite having been raised relatively sheltered), they just went with it. I ended up going to a school 2800 miles from home, and, long story short, everything crumbled super quickly. I just wasn't emotionally ready or mature enough to be all alone in a brand new city and responsible for myself. And I had my dad's money to work with! You would likely be living about the poverty line! So you'd be dealing with your own immaturity, naivete, and being poor.

I suppose you could follow this dream of yours and fall flat on your face, like I did - it certainly made me wiser in the long-run! But I recommend you work your way up the conventional way. Get a job, save up, pay for community college yourself, get your own place if you can, and figure things out from there. You'll be more mature at that point and have a better idea of what you could feasibly do for the rest of your life.

Running away to Texas sounds more like a fantasy than a real solution to your problems.
I live in Texas. I might want to move to another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health