Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times

Advertisements

Oh boy. I understand that one, yeah.

I married a man, at 21, who didn't have a driver's license. And he claimed it was for the very same reason. Panic attack, anxiety attack. And I loved him with all my heart. Like only a young fool can. Four years of servitude I put in, driving him around everywhere. Picking him up from work. Dropping him off when he wanted to hang out with his friends. It felt like I was his mother. He always promised he would work his way up to learning how to drive, because it was important to me. But he was just blowing smoke. I got sick of his empty promises, after long enough.

When I left, I moved him in with his best friend, who turned into his not so best friend, after being faced with the reality that he was his new dedicated driver. It wasn't long before his friend told him he was moving for a job - and moving alone. Last I heard, my ex was scrambling to find the next girlfriend/chauffeur to latch onto, to make sure he was taken care of. The man was a sponge, and did not contribute to society in the slightest.

I'd like to go on record and say, that working for a living, gives me panic attacks. Therefor, I should be exempt from sucking it up like the rest of the world, and earning a living. *nod*

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 04-04-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 PM

746 posts, read 866,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Oh boy. I understand that one, yeah.

I married a man, at 21, who didn't have a driver's license. And he claimed it was for the very same reason. Panic attack, anxiety attack. And I loved him with all my heart. Like only a young fool can. Four years of servitude I put in, driving him around everywhere. Picking him up from work. Dropping him off when he wanted to hang out with his friends. It felt like I was his mother. He always promised he would work his way up to learning how to drive, because it was important to me. But he was just blowing smoke. I got sick of his empty promises, after long enough.

When I left, I moved him in with his best friend, who turned into his not so best friend, after being faced with the reality that he was his new dedicated driver. It wasn't long before his friend told him he was moving for a job - and moving alone. Last I heard, my ex was scrambling to find the next girlfriend/chauffeur to latch onto, to make sure he was taken care of. The man was a sponge, and did not contribute to society in the slightest.

I'd like to go on record and say, that working for a living, gives me panic attacks. Therefor, I should be exempt from sucking it up like the rest of the world, and earning a living. *nod*
He could move somewhere with transit. And I don't think you can compare driving to making a living. If you mess up driving it can be fatal!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
And if you choke while brushing your teeth, you could die, alone, on your bathroom floor. What's your point? lol

Women won't be with a man long term, that won't drive, because long-term, limitless variants come to mind for needing a vehicle. You can take a cab, a bus, walk, ride a bike, call an ambulance! Right! Finding a way to navigate around a bad situation, does not justify the situation.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
Panic and anxiety are classified as a mental disorder and not a mental illness. Assuming that's all he has. He can easily overcome this with therapy. I worked with many people with this disorder. I watched people who could not leave their home, literally to even check the mail, go on to become world solo travelers.

Often times people have a chemical imbalance caused by an unhealthy lifestyle and then they have a panic attack. Once they have one, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and they fear the fear and it grows out of control from there.

If you really care about this guy, demand, don't beg him to get help. And he will get better.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
And if you choke while brushing your teeth, you could die, alone, on your bathroom floor. What's your point? lol

Women won't be with a man long term, that won't drive, because long-term, limitless variants come to mind for needing a vehicle. You can take a cab, a bus, walk, ride a bike, call an ambulance! Right! Finding a way to navigate around a bad situation, does not justify the situation.
I'm less likely to choke on a toothbrush.

I'm so glad they're making self driving cars. Equality for everyone including people who have problems that negatively affect their life! What if I'm never able to drive myself? I'm scared that therapy might fail to fix me.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Panic and anxiety are classified as a mental disorder and not a mental illness. Assuming that's all he has. He can easily overcome this with therapy. I worked with many people with this disorder. I watched people who could not leave their home, literally to even check the mail, go on to become world solo travelers.

Often times people have a chemical imbalance caused by an unhealthy lifestyle and then they have a panic attack. Once they have one, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and they fear the fear and it grows out of control from there.

If you really care about this guy, demand, don't beg him to get help. And he will get better.
I'm scared therapy will fail to fix me.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 PM

I feel like my problems are permanent, which would mean there's only one way to not have to be miserable. Actually technology is evolving, life will get easier for everyone. No more lives being ruined due to one problem, we got technology which can help everyone!

Last edited by MynameisnotPeter; 04-04-2014 at 10:17 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
I'm scared therapy will fail to fix me.
Don't defeat yourself before you have even tried.

Have you ever driven anything? Golf cart, go cart, lawn tractor, 4 wheeler, etc.?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 PM

Does anyone understand me? Say I get an urge to do something dangerous like suddenly fully accelerating, my OCD makes me do things like that (even if they were an accident) a certain number of times. Usually 3,5, sometimes 4. I can't just ignore the thoughts, the best I can do is prolong acting them out, but the urge grows stronger and stronger (feels like anxiety building up as if you were about to panic like crazy) and I have to do it and it is so relieving. But it's dangerous cause I could crash, or just make other people honk at me. If I don't crash and die I'll probably get out and run screaming in panic mode as if someone was trying to kill me. What is absolutely neccessary to have a life gives me severe anxiety, OCD attacks, fills me with terror, and this is ruining my life and suicide does come to mind cause it seems to be the only option for me. I'm more scared of driving then taking a knife and cutting my arm up. Maybe I should of killed myself before. My brain is [Mod cut] and I think it always will be, I'll never get to function normally. I want to die.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-05-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Calm down......people can overcome the things you are describing with the right type of treatment.

Have you ever tried to get professional help for these problems you are having?

And I wasn't kidding about the golf carts and stuff........starting out with something small like that might help you build up your confidence and help abate some of your fears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health