Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 11:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times

Advertisements

Black Friday"
This may seem like a weird question, but anyway here goes:

There are thousands that camp out in long lines in the freezing cold weather;
Just to get in stores on this day after Thanksgiving;
Do you feel that they are there in droves because of the bargains the retailers offer; (Just to get out of the red).
Or do these people actually have an addictive personality?;
The release of adrenaline that gives a rush or a type of high. or do they have a competitive personality?
given the fact that they tend to shove, push, and sometimes even fight, just to be the first ones in the store to purchase an item? Granted there are benefits to purchases that are 50-70% off; But the risk of getting stampeded? Is it really worth it?
How many feel that this is a type of addiction ? and that there are a high percentage that have type "A" personality?
What are some of your thoughts?
What are your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
LOL! I don't know, but we saw people with little pup tents pitched in front of Best Buy last night with the weather forecast to be around 38 degrees! I wouldn't do it no matter how good the bargain! I think for some people it's just the thrill and the challenge of it-like winning a marathon or something!

Old 11-23-2007, 01:47 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
People are addicted to shopping...
I wonder if the deals are really all that great, of course there are always a few to get people to come into the store, that there is a limited number of and they sell out quickly.
For example, I bought a jacket at Target for $34.95 online on Wednesday. Today I see that the same jacket is back up to $49.99 yet they are advertising a big sale on their website.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
I was at the mall by 8 a.m.

didn't find anything.

the better bargains are still to come.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
LOL! I don't know, but we saw people with little pup tents pitched in front of Best Buy last night with the weather forecast to be around 38 degrees! I wouldn't do it no matter how good the bargain! I think for some people it's just the thrill and the challenge of it-like winning a marathon or something!
Never! Ever! BRRRRRRR
I agree with the theory of " thrill seeking rush" also;
Is this type "A" persona ?
Have to ask June about this.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
People are addicted to shopping...
I wonder if the deals are really all that great, of course there are always a few to get people to come into the store, that there is a limited number of and they sell out quickly.
For example, I bought a jacket at Target for $34.95 online on Wednesday. Today I see that the same jacket is back up to $49.99 yet they are advertising a big sale on their website.

How many people do you think return most of the items or at least one; after they've satiate their addiction?
Professional you can "chime' in anytime please....(Psych ones of course)
I wonder just how many theives and scam artist are blending participating in the mad dash?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 PM

My daughter called me and told me she was out there and didn't quite understand why?
Maybe just to get my grands out and wear them out, so they can take a "longer nap'? LOL
But if they were practically giving it away. This Am was too frigid to indulge" in the festivities..................

Old 11-24-2007, 09:14 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
I had never been to the Balck Friday sales. I have been wanting a GPS for work and been researching them for months online, learning all I can about them and goodness!.... there are so MANY different ones. I had narrowed it down to what features I didn't want and what I did want. Some of the stores had them for a great price so when I woke up at 3am.. I said, "what they heck.. go!".. So I went. What a mess! I never saw anything like that in my life... so MANY people. I found the GPS, got checked out is a section of the store that had a register open and no one in line and left! I wasn't gone from my house 1 1/2 hours... came home and went back to bed! I saved about $50 on something I was planning to buy anyway and all it cost me was a little of my time.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:52 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
I'd rather buy on Amazon.com and get the stuff shipped to my house. My husband needed a new razor and they had one on sales for $19.99 that usually costs $69! So I ordered it there... no standing in line, no wasting gas and time, yeah :-)

Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
Buying online is the way to go.
I think that some people like the crowds and the chaos and get a high off of that but I'm not that way, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health