Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM

513 posts, read 737,035 times

Advertisements

I have had a couple of sessions at a university psychological service with grad students as counselors. They videotape each session for their supervising professors' use and if the client is not comfortable with that, they audiotape it. I thought I might not like it, would be intimated or inhibited, etc., but I forget about it. Maybe a practice with something like that would be better for you in the future. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
...My second piece, oddly, and I hate to say this, but show up neatly dressed and groomed. They all note how you are dressed and groomed! Who knew there was a dress code, or that it was getting jotted down every time, frustrating...
Actually for people going to counseling and not worrying about court cases - just going to get help...

I would recommend going as you would normally be dressed. Or as you feel like dressing. Same with taking a shower/bath. If you don't normally do that or don't feel like doing that, then don't change it just for the mental health counselor.

To suddenly change these things would be dishonest and could mislead the counselor as to your diagnosis. The exception to that is if you feel like getting super dressed up just for the counselor - go ahead and do that (as that is what you "feel" like doing.)

The way a person dresses, personal hygiene, and so forth can be helpful "clues" as to a person's state of mental health.

Same with what you tell the counselor. Be honest. They are not mind readers.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:42 AM

822 posts, read 3,002,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Actually for people going to counseling and not worrying about court cases - just going to get help...

I would recommend going as you would normally be dressed. Or as you feel like dressing. Same with taking a shower/bath. If you don't normally do that or don't feel like doing that, then don't change it just for the mental health counselor.

To suddenly change these things would be dishonest and could mislead the counselor as to your diagnosis. The exception to that is if you feel like getting super dressed up just for the counselor - go ahead and do that (as that is what you "feel" like doing.)

The way a person dresses, personal hygiene, and so forth can be helpful "clues" as to a person's state of mental health.

Same with what you tell the counselor. Be honest. They are not mind readers.
You know that I agree in principle, but again, I wasn't in the midst of a court case when I went to see him. I didn't anticipate that I would be, and I didn't know that ... after we talked and joked about yard work on Saturdays he would then turn and write "she showed up again completely disheveled". In most cases (not with him, but with some of my child's therapy records, etc.), there was a simple sheet where the person would check a few boxes including one on hygiene. But I would just advise caution. The 21 year old college student getting some therapy doesn't realize that he/she might one day be a 38 year old in a court case, or applying for security clearance, or something else ... dealing with old records.

I knew one woman who did therapy out of her home and wouldn't work with insurance companies. She said that once a psychologist had gone to therapy after (I think) the death of a child or something like that. They had diagnosed her with major depressive disorder, and this had been problematic for her later in getting a license ... something like that.

And then I know of a psychiatrist who also does private pay who does a lot of high level security clearances and is just extremely, extremely, extremely cautious about the records he keeps. He writes very little down, only enough to remind him of things for future sessions.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
That whole garden clothing thing is ridiculous. And his subjective opinion of it is too.I know there are times when we have to be subjective, but he should have written"presented in gardening clothing to session. She had mud on her shoes".

I am on a peer ethics commiittee in my state. If he were a social worker he would have come very close to unprofessional behavior and a possible sanction. But I hope you won't let this hold you back. Sounds like you have made progess. Best to you, OP.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM

822 posts, read 3,002,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
That whole garden clothing thing is ridiculous. And his subjective opinion of it is too.I know there are times when we have to be subjective, but he should have written"presented in gardening clothing to session. She had mud on her shoes".

I am on a peer ethics commiittee in my state. If he were a social worker he would have come very close to unprofessional behavior and a possible sanction. But I hope you won't let this hold you back. Sounds like you have made progess. Best to you, OP.
Thanks Sue! I appreciate it. It's all good now, but I'm thinking of writing something up. I've definitely moved beyond and resolved everything, it's not that, but there were lessons learned.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 AM

17 posts, read 18,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
You know that I agree in principle, but again, I wasn't in the midst of a court case when I went to see him. I didn't anticipate that I would be, and I didn't know that ... after we talked and joked about yard work on Saturdays he would then turn and write "she showed up again completely disheveled". In most cases (not with him, but with some of my child's therapy records, etc.), there was a simple sheet where the person would check a few boxes including one on hygiene. But I would just advise caution. The 21 year old college student getting some therapy doesn't realize that he/she might one day be a 38 year old in a court case, or applying for security clearance, or something else ... dealing with old records.

I knew one woman who did therapy out of her home and wouldn't work with insurance companies. She said that once a psychologist had gone to therapy after (I think) the death of a child or something like that. They had diagnosed her with major depressive disorder, and this had been problematic for her later in getting a license ... something like that.

And then I know of a psychiatrist who also does private pay who does a lot of high level security clearances and is just extremely, extremely, extremely cautious about the records he keeps. He writes very little down, only enough to remind him of things for future sessions.
Different psychologists/therapist keep different types of records, but unfortunately when you signed the release, you allowed all records, despite what they may contain, to be brought into the custody case. In the future, you may want to request records for yourself so you can preview what will be sent to lawyers. It can't hurt to know and plan accordingly. Now, I personally think after writing a record like that he should have attended any court case to further explain his frame of reference, but he doesn't sound like the most moral character.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
The releases we use require the client to specify what information is used. Attorneys often call for an entire chart and I always recommend the client not sign a blanket release. I know of one attorney who would do that who was married to a social worker. He knew the kind of liabilty insurance we are required to obtain. He would comb through the chart looking for an ethics breach in order to sue the social worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health