Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 01:41 PM

898 posts, read 938,051 times

Advertisements

I recently suffered what seems to be (and what I was diagnosed with) as a mild concussion. I hit my head on a metal cabinet as I was bending over to pick something up. I had a little abrasion from the hit, but didn't think much of it afterwards. The symptoms did not kick in for a few days. I went to the ER and a few other doctors and they didn't think it was extremely serious. They prescribed R&R, but did no other brain scans, X-Rays, CT Scans, etc., which apparently wouldn't have showed much of anything anyway. Here's what I experienced on about day 3 after it happened: mild headache, trouble concentrating, some mild nausea, mild dizziness, stiff/sore neck. Initially, it felt like I had a mild hangover mixed with inebriation. These symptoms all seemed to get aggravated if I exerted myself too much mentally or physically.

So after about five weeks, I'm now seemingly returning to normal. Most of the symptoms have either completely subsided or are unnoticeable. Every once in a while, I'll get a sharp pain in my head, or wake up with a stiff neck, or feel a little off-kilter after I go for a long, rigorous run. But my cognitive functions seem to be fine. I don't feel like I've lost the ability to think or remember things. My head feels pretty clear now.

I've learned that the recovery time can be long and tedious. I've read that it can take a few weeks up to several months to return to normal after a mild concussion, depending on the severity of the injury.

Have any of you experienced a concussion, or post-concussion symptoms? Without trying (or inadvertently trying) to scare the heck out of me, would you mind sharing your experiences with it and the recovery time? I'm mostly curious what sort of symptoms you had and how long it took for a full recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
I had post-concussion syndrome about ten years ago, following banging my head into the doorway of my car when I was in too much of a hurry to get somewhere. As with you, the headache didn't appear initially, but within a few days - it sent me to the ER for tests, as I thought a blood clot might have formed in my brain. Thankfully, that was not the case, so, having been assured that the headache would depart in a day or so, I headed out on a long-planned ten day driving trip.

And had the headache for the next nine days. Ibuprofen plus caffeine helped some but not enough. So I went to a UTC, and was given something I never should have: some med with a molecular structure which was similar to codeine, to which I am violently allergic. I told the doctor - or PT, more likely - about this, but he was quite taken with some kind of early hand-held computerized device which evidently listed all medicines for all ailments. He certainly paid more attention to his toy than to me!

The results of this medication stranded me overnight at the home of an elderly cousin - scared her half to death - and kept me busy with severe nausea, visual issues, and dizziness. One dose took twelve hours to wear off. As soon as I could, I went back to the UTC to report what had happened - the doctor was nowhere in sight, and the nurse-receptionist shrugged me off. By this time, though the nausea and dizziness had gone, I still had the severe headache, along with occasional double-vision.

On the last day of my trip - Easter Sunday - I experienced what felt like my own Easter miracle: I awoke without a headache! The next day, I started the long drive home and realized that whenever I turned a corner, I was seeing double at the edge of my vision. So once home, I had my eyes checked and was told that the double vision was a result of the concussion and should subside with time. But by now, I noticed that an area beneath my eyelid was inflamed and painful. This, too, proved to be a post-concussion syndrome - I was given cortisone eye drops to address the problem, which lasted another month.

It was a very stressful time, as one painful and debilitating symptom seemed to follow another, for about six weeks. But I did recover, and have no remaining issues from that hard bump on the head I gave myself.

However, I do get into the car very, very carefully now.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:11 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,183,403 times
A few years back a lady hit the side of my car....
When I got out of the car, I felt really dizzy & disoriented, but didn't go to the hospital.
The next day I collapsed outside on my way into a store.
I literally just blacked out & when I fell I wasn't even able to soften the fall.
I was out cold
Ambulance was called...
they did some tests & said I had a concussion from the day before.
On top of that my forehead was gashed & I has a black eye from the fall.
Ugh.
The dizziness & "spaced out" feeling lasted for weeks.....
Just listen to your doc & everything should be fine.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 PM

757 posts, read 1,025,371 times
My concussion-liked experience happened one night in 2008 just couple days before Easter. Strange thing was that I didn't hit my head on anything as I was actually on bed trying to sleep. Just few minutes into it, a strong and blunt force hit the back of my head repeatedly. The sensation was comparable to falling down backward and hit the back of my head to the concrete floor. It was that strong.

It lasted for a long while and it gave me headache and nauseous feeling. It felt like a serious head trauma at the time and I had a hard time comprehending what was happening to me. The pain and panic I was enduring just made the whole thing even worse. I was totally shocked, traumatized and beside my normal self. The cause of the concussion-liked sensation and pain of that horrific night is still a mystery to me to this day.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
My concussion-liked experience happened one night in 2008 just couple days before Easter. Strange thing was that I didn't hit my head on anything as I was actually on bed trying to sleep. Just few minutes into it, a strong and blunt force hit the back of my head repeatedly. The sensation was comparable to falling down backward and hit the back of my head to the concrete floor. It was that strong.

It lasted for a long while and it gave me headache and nauseous feeling. It felt like a serious head trauma at the time and I had a hard time comprehending what was happening to me. The pain and panic I was enduring just made the whole thing even worse. I was totally shocked, traumatized and beside my normal self. The cause of the concussion-liked sensation and pain of that horrific night is still a mystery to me to this day.

Yet you didn't seek medical help after this terrifying and painful experience?? If not, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health