Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,764,154 times

Advertisements

I came across an article that argues this is so:

Health Alert: Reflecting on Positive Experiences is Beneficial to Your Health

I don't see any specific studies cited in the article so I question the veracity of the information. However, I have found that when I think of happier times, it puts me in a better mood. For example, when I'm feeling a bit down, I like to think of graduations, memorable parties, and other such events that I'll remember forever.

Do you guys ever do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Has this worked for anyone?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:26 AM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
The scent of smell can be a powerful memory stimulator. I noticed one day I used some perfume I hadn't used for years, and it brought back the happy memories of those times. I find the aroma of turkey, pumpkin pie, rutabagas cooking brings back not only the memories of Thanksgiving, but the actual emotions of love, peace, family, etc.

It can work the opposite way as well. My ds had a particularly bad experience with his 4th grade teacher. He then --- literally--turned on me, I had to call police, he was throwing dishes, tried to attack me with a knife, etc---he is one big kid. He ended up in a psychiatric hospital, followed with outpatient treatment. About a year later, I found out his teacher and I used the same perfume. My daughter pointed out that when he got mad, I smelled like the "mean teacher". Obviously, he was close to the edge to begin with, or just a scent wouldn't have provoked him in such a manner. I'm just making the point that scents can trigger very powerful emotions!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Of course, just putting a smile on your face can improve your mental health too. Filling your mind with positive thoughts helps promote a positive attitude, both of which improve mental health.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Of course, just putting a smile on your face can improve your mental health too. Filling your mind with positive thoughts helps promote a positive attitude, both of which improve mental health.
It's true. Being positive helps a great deal, especially when we're going through tough times.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:01 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I came across an article that argues this is so:

Health Alert: Reflecting on Positive Experiences is Beneficial to Your Health

I don't see any specific studies cited in the article so I question the veracity of the information. However, I have found that when I think of happier times, it puts me in a better mood. For example, when I'm feeling a bit down, I like to think of graduations, memorable parties, and other such events that I'll remember forever.

Do you guys ever do the same?
No need to question "the veracity of the info Wordsmith...your next words prove it.
Absolutely I enjoy reflecting on "happier times"...and it sure does make me feel good.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,755,761 times
I have a box where I store my most meaningful cards and letters and sometimes I have to pop it open and read a few to feel better. Also around my desk I've tacked up notes from former students who loved me or thanked me. Studies have shown that this can build up your immune system and people who've had a radical remission from life threatening illnesses often report that they did something to raise their general mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health