Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:36 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times

Advertisements

Some women on the internet have admitted that they use social media to get confidence boosts for dating. They post a picture, or even post a status and get a bunch of picker-upper compliments (though not all social media places will give such compliments, some places they can be downright insulted (though even those places will have a few defenders)).

What are some good places where a guy like me can fish for compliments? Confidence is a result of praise and success, IMO. I have received a few compliments in the past, but they are few and far in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:40 PM

867 posts, read 909,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Some women on the internet have admitted that they use social media to get confidence boosts for dating. They post a picture, or even post a status and get a bunch of picker-upper compliments (though not all social media places will give such compliments, some places they can be downright insulted (though even those places will have a few defenders)).

What are some good places where a guy like me can fish for compliments? Confidence is a result of praise and success, IMO. I have received a few compliments in the past, but they are few and far in between.
Instead of asking, "how can I be more like a woman," why not ask something logical and ask, "how can I be more like a man." Attention whoring has no masculine equivalent, thankfully. We aren't wired that way. We gain confidence by doing stuff. Go do stuff.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:42 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Confidence itself does not only come from praise and success.

It is always best when confidence comes from within. You don't need anyone else's approval. You are who you are. Don't worry about society or the media see's you. Look at yourself honestly, if you list all the things that is wrong with you based on what other people say and not what YOU truly think of yourself, then there is your problem. Their opinions do not matter.

I have seen guys do the exact same thing. There is no place that is "best" to get compliments. It'll make you feel good for a split second, but if you have no confidence in yourself it won't last at all.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

Confidence is either something you have already and you get praise and success by your actions or you develop confidence thru counseling and practice. Tell yourself and learn to believe that you are a good and decent fellow and don't be afraid of some gal saying "you're not my type". There is someone for everyone. And BTW what works for women is usually not what works for a man. I suspect that most women want more than just a pretty face in a man.

I have confidence, because of how I was raised and I am not afraid to try something new and possibly fail.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:52 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
Instead of asking, "how can I be more like a woman," why not ask something logical and ask, "how can I be more like a man." Attention whoring has no masculine equivalent, thankfully. We aren't wired that way. We gain confidence by doing stuff. Go do stuff.
I've never met someone confident at math that had trouble with it. They always say negative things about their ability.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:40 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, lose weight, get healthy, work out, and you'll gain some confidence.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
You're not going to get it online, especially from a dating site. Women can get away with that because men do almost all of the contacting / asking, just like dating IRL.

It can't hurt taking Ruth4Truth's advice if these are issues for you.

I suggest to try your best to get in a better frame of mind. That will be the best "place" to start.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Confidence is either something you have already and you get praise and success by your actions or you develop confidence thru counseling and practice. Tell yourself and learn to believe that you are a good and decent fellow and don't be afraid of some gal saying "you're not my type". There is someone for everyone. And BTW what works for women is usually not what works for a man. I suspect that most women want more than just a pretty face in a man.

I have confidence, because of how I was raised and I am not afraid to try something new and possibly fail.
That there is someone for everyone I find highly improbable and extremely doubtful.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
That there is someone for everyone I find highly improbable and extremely doubtful.
I am a Social Worker and you would you not believe some of the couples I've seen.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...12.TnYGB4drpf4

Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
you need to sign up for ball room dance classes yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health